Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

But I'm not a programmer so no idea if it's even possible in Unity to call a 32-bit library for a 64-bit build and have that cap virtual memory size.

Anyway.. :) My sister is eating "tofu pups" (I kid you not) for dinner, so I need to go add some sound effects, ha!

That is not possible, by the way. Even with tofu pups added :smile-new:

So I deleted my current games after the new update(b199) came out but it didn't look to me like the world files are deleted. I'm assuming if I start a new game but use that same world I won't get any fixes to world generation like new POI's etc? And did it automatically update Navezgane or would I need to somehow refresh that too?

If I do need to delete the old world files is that in the GUI anywhere or do I need to do it manually?

So I deleted my current games after the new update(b199) came out but it didn't look to me like the world files are deleted. I'm assuming if I start a new game but use that same world I won't get any fixes to world generation like new POI's etc? And did it automatically update Navezgane or would I need to somehow refresh that too?

If I do need to delete the old world files is that in the GUI anywhere or do I need to do it manually?

I kept my save for Navezgane, and it seems to have got the updates well enough. RWG, I don't know.

Okay, this warrants some explanation.

RWG, and the changes that were made.

Old.

RWG would be made, and all of the data would be put in the save folder, and as you explored chunks, "region" files would be created. The calculations were done as new chunks were loaded, so the game didn't know that it would be say, a forest biome with an ore cluster until you entered the new chunk.

New.

Rwg creates a world. A height map (DTM), splatmap images (biomes) and a prefabs.xml, just like Navezgane uses. The files are stored in the game folder, under data/worlds, and are NOT AFFECTED BY SAVE GAMES. They simply "exist", like a Nav map does.

Now, when the user enters a new chunk, the game already KNOWS what data to expect, so creates the region files faster.

THE GOOD NEWS IS:

Because the map is literally a DTM file (grey scaled height map file) you could literally load mars and use it as a map. Like, it's been done.

You can also use an image edting program to CREATE YOUR OWN MAP. You can specify which biomes go where by editing the splat map. You can put specific prefabs by telling the prefab.xml where to put them. You can SPECIFY SPAWN POINTS. Where water goes. Roads. Radiation. Entities. Spawners.

So, although this is the first iteration (although I think it's rwg v4.0) of this method, can you start to see the potential now?

Look familiar?

biomes.png

...that's nav's biome mapping.

Want some snow in the south? Edit that .png file, throw in some white at the very bottom. Save the file. Then load the map.

That easy.

Same issue, place seed with R-Click, punch and pick seed back up. Have to place it and immediately look away.

Yea Imran into that too. Really annoying! It's really really easy to unplant your seedlings as you are harvesting the grown plants. Not sure what it takes to fix but I sure hope they find a way.

okay, one thing I've found that freaks me out, especially at night, when I power attack with a pickaxe, there's a few times it has like a zombie growl/grunt. I look around, nothing is there. Is that intentional for that sound to be part of that random pick or no? Makes it harder to actually tell if a zombie is around or not.

MM can we get a little bit of love on the construction tools. none of the perks seem to work with the wrench they all just take 10 from the vehicle being harvested. with a new car type, that is 90 times to be fully harvested. so that is 90 uses on the wrench which can go through lower level tools very quickly on just 1 car.

motherload only does rocks trees and the like, but not ac units cars, other electric devices. perhaps add it to the grease monkey perk?

To Joel and and the rest of the Fun Pimps, alpha 17 is amazing. Please don't change it. It's a real survival game now not a jumping around, never tiring fps shoot em up.

Bugs aside, where it stands now it feels like a complete game. I would be happy to pay for DLC that included bandits and settlements.

The tedium of looting zombies for junk is gone and replaced with the anticipation of that rare special loot bag. Combat feels real, the danger feels real. The POIs are not just buildings making up the scenery. The multiplayer is stupendous - this is where the update goes to another level. The skill tree is great for giving party members the feeling of place and meaning in the world. Now one person can have his place in the group because of his skill set rather than just a position on the kills leaderboard. The skills have also brought lots of replayability. It truly shines with a group of friends.

In regard to graphics the feather in it's cap is that it succeeds in looking nice while being a voxel game. Everything can be destroyed and built yet it's presented in a way that we don't notice the metre by metre world of blocks it is. The only thing I would like to see is more coherent ground and flora textures for the forest Biome.

Could sa so much more.

Thanks for an awesome update and please don't dial it down.

LOVE IT!

Okay, just a few things:

1) I found the jump distance for zombies in xml, what's the amount for 1 block height? I put 1.1 for basic zombies and they still do the crouching tiger hidden dragon on me lol...but power hitting a flying zombie is so satisfying. just wanted some insight on that though..once I know what 1 block is, I can work from there

The value is in meters (blocks) and is jump distance horizontally. The jump is an arc, so they get about 60% of the value in height.

I started a new game with my son last night. 4 days done. Level 12. 0 deaths for me and 1 for him. We did one quest and bailed on a second. Got crippled in desert by heat and no water, but make it out next day back to our church roof base where we hole up each night, except for that night in the desert, where we hid on a building roof.

I just found a small sturdy tool store, not far from the church, that we will be using for our day 7 day BM.

The challenge is real, but if you pay attention, plan ahead and don't go blundering about, it can be done.

Sneak attacking sleeper dogs in the head with an arrow for a one shot kill is sweet. I'm doing x2.8 with perks.

I also got to test doing a simultaneous sneak attack. Each of us line up for a head shot and fire at the same time and since there is a small delay in zombies going alert, we both get x2 (or better with perks) damage plus the bonus if you hit the head. We one shot a wolf doing that and use it on boars.

Hope you had a good Thanksgiving!

I started a new game with my son last night. 4 days done. Level 12. 0 deaths for me and 1 for him. We did one quest and bailed on a second. Got crippled in desert by heat and no water, but make it out next day back to our church roof base where we hole up each night, except for that night in the desert, where we hid on a building roof.

I just found a small sturdy tool store, not far from the church, that we will be using for our day 7 day BM.

The challenge is real, but if you pay attention, plan ahead and don't go blundering about, it can be done.

Sneak attacking sleeper dogs in the head with an arrow for a one shot kill is sweet. I'm doing x2.8 with perks.

I also got to test doing a simultaneous sneak attack. Each of us line up for a head shot and fire at the same time and since there is a small delay in zombies going alert, we both get x2 (or better with perks) damage plus the bonus if you hit the head. We one shot a wolf doing that and use it on boars.

Hope you had a good Thanksgiving!

Nice :)

And same to you.

@faatal

I've noticed that with wandering hordes, they sometimes seem confused. Seen them walking in a line (well, not a complete line like they used to) to me, then start bumbling about in an area. They don't progress any further. I have to get their attention to get them moving again (typically just kill them), is that intentional? Seems odd is all. Makes it easy to pick them off in smaller groups. Even one time saw them split into groups and start walking all different directions, only happened once so far, but the bumbling around walking has happened about every 1 in 3.

And yeah, I power attacked a sleeping vulture and launched it a good 10m, same with a flying vulture that was attacking me. Shot him once and he went about 20m. I started laughing so bad that I missed a zombie dropping in from above. Survived, but man did that hurt. lol.

That's pretty bad then.

What could be done is a massive gamey trench around a trader and a small fort against the trader's unbreakable cliff walls.

They'll pyramid over by what I've heard, so won't be stopping them that way. Lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Omg... just got a very foggy night, my lord. If I didn't have run off, I'd be hiding in my base right now. Like to get a feel for the new stuff before I take on running guys in "The Fog" like fog... it's so freaking creepy. I LOVE IT.

Archived