Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Anyone know how to use the new prefab editor to make new prefabs? Everytime I try I get one green place-able block in the center but no matter what I do I can never place it.

Probably not the best place for this but figure its just clogging up realestate if I make a new thread.

Is that using the radial menu ?

For most, if not all, ranged weapon you can hold down the reload key (default “r”) and select a different ammo.

- - - Updated - - -

Madmole:

Could we have some more precise 'in game' information in regards to the exact weapons that the different skills affect, ie: does the 'Boom! Headshot!' skill affect all weapons or all ranged, or purely rifles/pistols (excluding bows) etc...

It’s supposed to affect all ranged weapons. The language was changed not to refer to either bows or firearms to remove confusion created by the initial description.

Oh, I have a BIG question. Torches. Is there being some work done on them? It's odd that when I hold one, it's like a 10m radius of light, but once placed, it's like 3m if that. Not only that, but the lighting from there gets block by some of the weirdest things. Put a torch above a door, if there's trim, it's pitch black below the door, or anywhere that is beyond trim. I am loving the lighting of everything else, but man, torches are bugging me like no other. I can hold a torch at the end of the church near Diresville, and see the other door. But with place torches, have to place one every few blocks to be able to see one end to the other. It seems very very off. And couldn't put a torch anywhere around a door or it just blacked everything beyond the door, had to place it on a cabinet further away from the door to be able to see it.

I'm loving A17, but I also have one idea, could you please add ability to draw on map? That would be huge, we could i.e mark buildings that we already looted and etc.

That'd be nice. Usually i just use it to mark safes or things I need to come back to. Otherwise I try to do things in rows or quadrants or paint a block on a building, so if I see it, I know I've been there already. Doesn't stop the whole running there, but at least means I'm not researching it for loot.

- - - Updated - - -

I was exploring Navezgane night time and thought, Joel , you can add some lamps on the bridges.It will look like in the '80s horror movie during the night or from some Steven King's movie.

Add some really dense fog on them too..... hehehe

We should be able to sell unlimited weapons to trader, i dont see any good reason for a limit. I have now many guns in my base that i dont use but i cant sell them. For me its a basic game element to loot stuff, sell them and buy stuff that you need. Right now its broken for me. Selling stuff to trader need a rework i think.

Madmole promised to address this at one of their meetings, so I hope they realize the implications of their changes were bigger than anticipated and they put the onus of spawn blocking and workstation grabbing back on the bed roll where it belongs, so that PvE and PvP communities don't continue to suffer from this oversight.

i hope they will =)

Why put a high population server online with an experimental release, where the features may be currently locked because they're not working quite yet but will be when they fix it?

...the world may never know.

It's always going to be locked. :( Madmole: "We disabled it (at least I think we did) because generation of a 16k map was either stalling out or maybe takes longer than we were willing to wait to see (+1 hour) "

I've played about 4 or 5 hours on a MP server and am really enjoying it. Spent the first horde night crapping my pants on the road near a lake and was able to survive because I'd found a crossbow and only had to kill a few zombies. I've built a small wooden shack on the edge of a town but have just poked in a few of the bigger POI and houses as I know it's beyond my abilities at this point. I'll be patient and come back to the more difficult ones but will try a few smaller houses/camps first. Some people become very oxymoronic, in terms of the game in experimental. They want challenge, but don't want challenge. They want vast RWG but want exceptional game performance. They want briliant AI but want predictability.Etc... Most things need to be met in the middle. Kudos to TFP!

It's always going to be locked. :( Madmole: "We disabled it (at least I think we did) because generation of a 16k map was either stalling out or maybe takes longer than we were willing to wait to see (+1 hour) "

The word on the street is Kinyajuu is on vacation. Sesame Street sure, but it's still the word.

No way he's going to let his baby die. Faith. =)

Got my sis trying to connect to my server, I changed the serverdisablednetworkprotocols line as stated in a previous post, but it's still not showing up for her (had to argue with my server to get the config file to stop defaulting also. SOMEHOW it went back to the default and restarted the whole map I began last night)

Disable windows firewall. :smile-new:

Fine, but why lock the map for servers to a size that is 137 sq. km smaller than A16's default. There are plenty of servers that consistently have 50 players online. And a 64 sq. km map will not do. Why take away options like that?

When 20 people complain, there are a ton more that are silent. So, did anyone complain the map is too big in A16? How many people said "We want a tiny map"? Pretty much the only good thing about this game is the ability to mod it. Every wonder why there are so many mods for the game?

"We are not building a house for one person, but for millions with a million opinions and in the end we do what seems best." No, there are not a million options. This build takes away tons of options.. And if you think millions of people play this game multiplayer, I have news for you. lol

By limiting the size of the map, you are doing nothing but pissing off a good chunk of your player base. Why? What's the point of that? A decent server computer had NO problem running the large maps of A16. My server computer could even run perfectly with maps that where over 300 sq. km. So.. limiting us to 64 sq. km serves what purpose?

I'm agree with you, the servers must have the option of create maps with a bigger size than the actual

A couple of hours ago I asked about lowering the resolution and got a great response rather quickly. I'd like to report my results for anyone interested. This is a re-post of what I just posted in a relevant thread on the Steam boards...

1st Generation i7 (yep, 8 years old!)

GTX 950

16 Gigs of RAM

No SSD

At first the game ran like crap. Then I took the advice to lower my resolution and now everything is peachy.

From 1920x1080 down to 1600x900 Fullscreen

Capped the Vsync to Half

Everything else is a mix from Low to High...such as I don't like Motion Blur so it's off but Textures are at Full and Anti-Aliasing is enabled. The game now runs fluidly. I haven't seen it dip below 30 and since there's no more jumping around it just feels smoother. My first attempts at playing a17 just felt jittery. Now the game feels like it did before.

I can post my full specs and/or settings if anyone asks.

So either it “always will be locked” and there’s no reason to keep fussing about; or it isn’t and there’s no reason to keep fussing about it.

Take your pick, but quit fussing.

Heh -^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

So when I complete the tutorial quest and it points me to a trader; it doesn't.

It just states Trader is 0.0

Does that mean that no trader has spawned on the map generation? (Playing Random Gen btw)

Traders are somewhere on your map. Its a bug so Short term-> Travel towards 0,0 (or teleport if you can't wait) and eventually it'll show the location.

You don't have to do quests but it seems to be worth it. HOWEVER.... it can be a lethal distraction as I've found myself loving the quests so much I don't work on a base and then its too late come horde day and my base fails. Time management is always a thing in this game.

Yes. But even if I only want to do a few quests a week, if I sit near a trader, that saves time I can use for base building for example instead of the roundtrip time to the trader.

And there is not much reason to not do quests from time to time if you have to scavenge anyway.

I know the trader thing is a bug, but in a way, it makes more sense to not know where a trader is (depending on how you look at the back story and even then, still can find loop holes). Mainly, when you wake up, you don't know where a trader is, and me thinking I need to find a trader doesn't mean I know where one is. Yes, maybe I woke up in the town I lived in, but if something like this happened (zombies, apocalypse, etc.) a normal trader, more than likely, got run out of his own home or business and had to start elsewhere, I don't know where that is until I find it. But I do see the simplicity and the help of the quest pointing you in the direction of your first trader. I'm a bit stuck in the middle of should it or should it not tell you where one is until you find it or at least see one in the distance.

- - - Updated - - -

Yd0eszK.png

Is it some kind of joke?

Demon pig. RUN!!!!!!

Archived