Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

What are the requirements to unlock all the craftsmanship perks I'm lvl 13 and all mine are still greyed out

I wasn't paying attention but I think it's 5 levels per tier. Meaning you need level 50 to get 10/10 in the trees.

So you need level 20 to open level 4/10, which will unlock the perk allowing you to make the Forge.

hi peeps nice patch, loving the game so far, my only issue is the sprint button on the controller it used to be click to sprint now its hold. iam unsure why you thought it was a good idea its hurts your thumb after a short while and i feel like its gunna reduse the wear an tear very fast. pls can u change it back?.

So about that dedicated server side patch for b199? Loving the alpha and all my players are freaking out because its the start of a holiday weekend and you have broken the servers the night before turkey day. So while I have nothing but praise for alpha 17 so far, dropping this on us the night before everyone leaves for holiday is umm.... bad.

Hmm the screenshots above make me realise we're not all looking at the same thing. The feedback about graphics is hard to interpret without seeing what others are seeing. Most likely people complaining have the same aesthetic as me - it's not terrible but you can see the white haze permeating everything, the sky is blown out (default gamma), the grass not rendering (I only have 3gb vram).

Changing graphics settings doesn't improve any of these things, so it seems like a more general issue with dynamic range / colour. (not sure what's killing the grass though)

Hope this helps

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25490[/ATTACH]

Turn down gamma

Actually, there was just a doorway, not a door (just an opening in a wall where a door could normally fit, but there was no door there).

So there was basically this:

- - - - - -

- - Z - - -

x x X - x x

- - - - - -

- - - - P -

Where the Z was hitting the wall (X) between me (P) and him, where he could have just walked through the opening to the left of him. After he destroyed one of the wall blocks I could get a clear shot at him, and when it hit he proceeded to walk through the doorway.

Consider yourself lucky I guess? Every zombie I have encountered took the path of least resistance. Honestly, and keep an open mind here, I think the new AI pathing makes them so predictable, it is easier to face them (when not running). Example, go in a room with 5 zombies, wake them up, then leave the room and they will go through the doorway guaranteed. I could sit 10 blocks from the threshold and take them out easily with a bow and finish the last 1-2 off with a club. A16, some would come through, others would stay in the room wrecking things... This made me go in the room not knowing if they were right next to the threshold or accross the room for an easy shot. If it weren't for the crazy hiding spots zombies have in POIs now, clearing them would be a walk in the park.

I'm not complaining or judging here. I'm just saying it makes the zombies more predictable because they will take the path of least resistance. If you pay attention to what that path is, you can plan your attack much easier. The mary-go-round zombies were not perdicable because you had no idea when they were going to get off their amusement park ride and they were harder to hit while on their invisible ride.

+1 for more realistic, -1 for more predictable, + 1 for those damn hidden zombies. Still, TFP comes out on top with a +1 in my book... Roland, did I do that math right?

Yep, you just discovered pyramiding as I like to call it.

Not only have I seen 2 layers of zombies on top of dogs or spiders, have had 3 layers of zombies. (Twice I have had a wandering horde show up while just starting to clear out a level 2 Trader quest POI. Got a little 'busy'...) Have also seen a spider climb to top of pyramid and jump towards me as well. (1st time that happened - well...)

I very much dislike the gated perks. There's a lot of different perk options to choose from. The leveling itself acts as its own gate. As it is now I have to choose between unlocking better food options to get me full faster thus getting health/stamina to max OR get the slower metabolism perk to keep my stamina up longer OR have better carrying capacity etc. These choices are HARD, and I love that this is part of the game. Once I pick a tree to climb though, I get gated and now I have points I can't put in anything I want/need for the character I'm playing.

I firmly agree with you. I started a separate game with the level reqs removed. The freedom!

That being said, with freedom comes responsibility. The responsibility to choose wisely... I've died way more on this new game lol.

Several devs read these posts. Just because you don't like something does not mean we are going to change it. We have many testers who give us feedback every day and we play the game too. Generally, we do what seems best to us to make a successful game. Everyone has an opinion. My opinion is it is fine the way it is. We may change our minds as we experiment with the experimental. That is the development process.

love you man. you are obviously very good at what you do. the changes you have done have me on the edge of my chair with panic and exitement.

but...

some choices that have been made are straight wack.

the only one i am not willing to roll on is the toggle run on the controller being removed. it physically hurts the thumb. no kidding. and removes any chance of combat finesse. we play for hours and hours ar a stretch. get the twits who made the decision to play for 4 hrs with a controller and ask how their left thumb is.

this is the one and only thing that ruins the game for me. if it isnt fixed i will not be able to continue to play.

seems like many others also dont like this change.

roland - is this a candidate for a poll?

how many use controllers and of those who want left stick toggle run vs numb thumb9

at the same time left click vs right click for the mouse users.

@madmole

Great update. The experience is definitely more slowpaced, reminds me of world of warcraft classic and don't starve in a lot of ways.

Me and my friend (we're devs too, hey! :fat:) has spent a good 34 hours with the game already and has some feedback and bugreporting.

I noticed a few bugs they'll be coming your way here since I cannot find bugreport section (might just be me being overly tired from kid not sleeping this night caused by croup cough debuff (insert cold timer here):

Bleeding always appear by getting hit from certain angles, definitely isn't RNG from certain angles - is this intentional perhaps?

Bleeding debuff is still active if you die and have bleeding debuff.

the reaper debuff is way to harsh for levels 1-10. Especially since your deaths are very inconsistent and can be caused by bugs.

Proposed Reaper debuff effect:

First time you die, reaper debuff is only active for 1min - second time 5min, third time 10min etc. At a maximum of 60min.

Each minute you spend alive equals 1 second less to the reaper debuff timer. (if you spend 30min alive and are currently at debuff level 2, it'll only last for 4min 30seconds if you die).

insane difficulty needs an adjustment. Zombies should still do the same amount of damage but should only be able to take hits equal to normal difficulty. Don't increase spawnrate of more difficult zombies at lower levels just because it's insane difficulty, this creates inconsistency.

IMO - forge should be achieved at level 10 or 15, why?

If this is supposed to be a game where you choose what you want to do, you shouldn't need to spend hours doing melee on zombies (insert melee'ing zombies for 2+ hours straight like everyone does, player agency? anyone?) before you can start crafting better tools. It feels inconsistent and very restrictive.

Moon light at night is very inconsistent, it goes from pitch black to daylight'esque in matter of milliseconds some nights.

Moon doesn't have a proper skybox implementation.

Deserts are way to harsh, ponchos barely protects you from heat.

The amount of water you have to drink in desert is way to much, especielly on difficulties ranging from easy-normal.

Crafted gear doesn't appear in your bag. You have to manually unequip gear first before you craft more for them to appear, they will appear on your character instead of your inventory, too.

Zombies searching for you on your last known location should cover a larger searching area. As it is right now they mindlessly stand at your last known location and looks too static.

Zombie waves should be less and more far between. At the moment you can almost see them spawn in and then they run at your location - or close to it, looking like a train of bodies.

stealth system need to sync faster, the sound detection has too long delay. Ex: You sit down, you're at 1-2 stealth, you jump and it - logically - increases to 30-50, as soon as the sound disappears it should go back to 1-2 stealth but it takes a couple of seconds. It's almost as if other scripts are queued before, why? Pasta is good in food, not code. :cocksure:

Mashing mouse-leftclick & rightclick will queue attacks, it feels inconsistent for some (not me, I liked to learn how to play around it) - is this intentional?

I'll come up with more as I go, the list is longer but Im running out of brainjuice.

Again, thanks TFP for making an awesome experience!

love you man. you are obviously very good at what you do. the changes you have done have me on the edge of my chair with panic and exitement.

but...

some choices that have been made are straight wack.

the only one i am not willing to roll on is the toggle run on the controller being removed. it physically hurts the thumb. no kidding. and removes any chance of combat finesse. we play for hours and hours ar a stretch. get the twits who made the decision to play for 4 hrs with a controller and ask how their left thumb is.

this is the one and only thing that ruins the game for me. if it isnt fixed i will not be able to continue to play.

seems like many others also dont like this change.

roland - is this a candidate for a poll?

how many use controllers and of those who want left stick toggle run vs numb thumb9

at the same time left click vs right click for the mouse users.

I don't think there was any intentional change to controllers but thats not my area of expertise.

snip

There are so many POIs now I think it will take 100 hours just to get through them all, and probably 500 to 1000 hours just to see them all. It is scary. If I hear certain zeds lurking I might just turn around and leave or start taking barbed wire to slow them down, ferals in loot rooms are the death of me. I'm slowly figuring out strategies to deal with everything and that is so awesome. Yeah I die a lot but I know it can be overcome with the right strategy and patience.

snip

The worst feeling I've had so far(in a good way, albeit in hindsight only;) is one time I thought I had a POI cleared, on my way to leave one popped up, then another behind me, freaked and took an alternate way "out" just to end up going deeper, and deeper... room after room my problem exponentially accelerated to ever increasing levels of certain death. I must've had a dozen+ Z on my tail by the time I finally came to a bloody screaming halt. I have never died so fast and without question. This is a new game.

My apologies I didn't even think about that, though I don't even know how to do the spoiler shield but I will look into that now and even though it's already too late I will edit it to add it if I can figure out how to do it, check back to edit your post.

No biggie, like Madmole said there are many, many POIs. You just had a ton of specific detail and I JUST left that place and was about to casually stroll back into it. I doubt you meant it, I dunno how to set the spoiler shield either, but I'll look into it if/when I ever get into that much detail about one particular POI. I've had plenty of pants pissing in the little bit of map/POIs I've seen thus far, so I'll go with the silver lining on this one and be a well prepared boy scout when I return. Sounds like a great first use of the AK I just got from a drop...

I love A17. Most of the decisions were overall positives and the game is actually hard and fun to play again.

There are 2 issues I have though:

1. Performance, but that will come in future patches im guessing.

2. RWG seems to have lost some of its magic. It seems that as if every RWG has Cold in the north, forest/burn/wastes in the middle and desert in the south.

I've been screaming this and I think the release notes say it too. Lower your damn resolution, the game still looks great and you can triple your FPS.

With all due respect, in many cases, even with a lowered resolution, the FPS is still too low to be comfortable.

Roland or Madmole or someone could you please delete all posts and follow up posts in reference to the Cultists house.

Thanks in advance.

***Content deleted because the post was a unintentional spoiler and after being talked to about it and looking into it I don't know how to hide it with the spoiler shield.

I think you just fixed it yourself mostly, again no worries, I'm more than happy to go get me some goodies and know to be ready for something in that place.

Archived