Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I really struggled with the fps and motion sickness when I started A17. I usually do not run Vsync but had to turn it on to get rid of the motion sickness feeling. Unfortunately 15 fps was all I could get and 10 in buildings. Kinda a sucked.

However using the Geforce experience program to "optimize" my settings it recommended lowering my resolution (1920 x 1060 I think). I did so fearing I would lose quality (I play on a 70" screen). Not only did I not notice any difference in graphics (game looks amazing btw) but my fps jumped to 30 even in buildings)

On top of that I decided to turn of Vsync after changing the resolution and BAM! my fps jumped to 60 or better on average with almost all other settings on Max (Geforce 1060, i5 and 16GB Ram)

I was considering attempting to overclock but don't see the need to try it now. Hope this helps anyone struggling with fps drop.

I've been screaming this and I think the release notes say it too. Lower your damn resolution, the game still looks great and you can triple your FPS.

Ah, I put some pants on, that worked, am no longer encumbered by the cold. Lol, well upgraded from strawpants to bluejeans, but it seems to have been enough of a difference. Well, so far I have answered my two only forum questions by playing a few more minutes after posting... I'll try not to do that anymore. However the Quest Marker disappearing visually, even though it was still there, is a valid bug.

Anyone else having issues with Claim blocks on Multiplayer servers?

example you set down a claim and it works. you move to another location and set down a new claim you made, the old one is not active and the new one is active but everyone can smash your base and your claim.

The server is setup to infinite online and offline and 14 day claims.

we even had an admin drop a new claim in case the player made claims where bugs.

many players are having the same issues.

Where to begin with Land Claim Blocks and Alpha 17. You're probably already aware that you can only have 1 LCB per player. Placing a new one will deactivate the old one because that is the new mechanic in A17 that TFP decided upon. They felt the old system was a cancer with spamming of LCBs. The other issue I am seeing myself which is even a bigger concern are LCBs going inactive randomly on their own. Sometimes it happens within seconds. Sometimes the claim will last a few hours to 12 hours. No explanation for it. You can also open the ingame map and see player LCBs (represented by brick wall icons). Not entirely sure if the indicator is showing all inactive claims or what. I'm hoping there are LCBs changes/fixes in the near future. Difficult having a multiplayer server when player LCBs are randomly going inactive on them. Try explaining to a player why their base was protected an hour ago and now the claim is dead. We have expiration at 30 days, decay at infinite until expiration and modifier at 0 (infinite) for online and offline.

Drama queen ?

The truth is i had 2 heart attacks.

When i play A17 i have really chest tightness.

Maybe its really time to leave the 7D2D train.

What you name "Difficulty" i name painfull cumbersome.

That has nothing to do with easy or a challenge.

Maybe the fun pimps should rename to "The anti fun pimps" if its not possible to make a game challenging without "out of stamina"

You need to level up.. when you get perks set in, you'll find you'll never run out of Stamina.. unless you try.

And if you have chest tightness, and potential cardiac arrest, you are subjecting yourself at your own will to be exposed to such risks by playing this game.

If you do not wish to risk a potential fatal incursion upon your self, I suggest not playing the game.

... I really.. shouldn't have to point this out. :f

- - - Updated - - -

I've been screaming this and I think the release notes say it too. Lower your damn resolution, the game still looks great and you can triple your FPS.

What do you recommend? Currently running pretty swell with 1080P with trees and shadows set low.

Faatal, Madmole, Roland, etc...

I made a 20-minute video showing some awesome stuff but also some bugs.

First the good stuff:

Map size is 16384x16384

The game was played in 2560x1440 resolution

The refresh rate is 165 (as seen on the upper right side of the screen)

FPS were 55-60+ for most of the video (as seen on the upper left side of the screen)

Now for the bugs, I've time-stamped them:

Vid link:

Bugs:

2:11 - wolf and zombies spawn in

4:51 - really bad terrain generation

5:59 - bad terrain generation

6:32 - floating house

7:08 - suicidal deer (not a big deal kinda funny but immersion breaking)

12:16-12:31 - where did this guy come from? I guess it is possible I didn't see him...

15:45 - did my gaze linger there for a microsecond too long? =)

16:50 - notice there are no sleepers alongside the building (important for upcoming timestamp)

17:15-17:18 - I bleed out because TFPs decided to swap the use key (trolls!)

17:18 - Don't fall when dead

17:50 - the building I mentioned in 16:50, clearly see sleepers appearing 10 feet away from me when I go back for my stuff

18:26 - one of the sleepers blows herself up hitting a car, the other sleeper still sleeping vanishes as I get closer

All in all, really like the job you guys did with A17e!

Artists are planning plants improvement for A17+. Probably some ground textures too.

Is the basic grass texture part of this? One thing I disliked about 7D2D generally was the whole "cross-hatch" look of the grass and many of the plants (like cotton). I wouldn't think it would be too difficult to fix, since not all plants look like that.

Some feedback about the difficulty. As someone who's played this game for quite a while I don't want the pre-A17 difficulty (or lack thereof) to return however I DO feel that some things should be toned down a bit as it feels ridiculously difficult early game from what I've played so far.

Things I think need balancing:

-Bleed rates: Right now it feels like 90% of the time you get hit by anything you start to bleed. Not only is this unrealistic it detracts from the game as a whole since most of your time is spent bandaging unless you're really good at not getting hit, which even the best players will get hit sometimes.

-Traps: From what I'm noticing the spike traps (wood spikes specifically) don't seem to be slowing down zombies at all, not sure if this is working as intended or not because the description does state that they're supposed to slow them. If it is slowing them it's so minimal as to not even make any difference, either this needs to be fixed if not working correctly or imo it should be tweaked if it is working correctly.

-Early game weapon damage: Don't get me wrong with this one, I don't think that things should return to A16 levels where 200 quality (or as it is now quality 2) bow could one-shot some zombies but I do feel that weapons in general should be buffed at least a little bit. I'm not sure how it is with perks and gun attachments because I haven't had too much time to play yet and haven't gotten that far, but I do feel the weapons need higher base damage without perks or attachments.

All of these things are just from my experience so far and as I've said I haven't played too much yet so take them with a grain of salt, they're just some things to take into consideration.

Ah, I put some pants on, that worked, am no longer encumbered by the cold. Lol, well upgraded from strawpants to bluejeans, but it seems to have been enough of a difference. Well, so far I have answered my two only forum questions by playing a few more minutes after posting... I'll try not to do that anymore. However the Quest Marker disappearing visually, even though it was still there, is a valid bug.

Just had one of my quest markers do this to me. I am running some little UI modlets, three of the Relxix ones. Because of the modlets I wasn't going to say anything but I saw this so I thought I would conditionly confirm this happening.

Sorry for some reason it won't let me post a screen shot but here are my settings:

DISPLAY:

Resolution 1920 x 1080 (16:9)

Fullscreen Yes

Vsync Off

Gamma 57%

My gamma setting is at 38%. I deleted my A16 preferences and it seems that was a good idea.

Do you know why i cant sell pistols at trader? I have like 10 pistols but i couldnt sell any to trader. My trader had now 3 restocks, but still cant sell it.

If the trader has already 3 of the same item in his inventory he won't buy that item (That was the case in A16 at least)

I am loving the game but here are my issues so far some have stated as well.

#1 Zeds spawning out of no where right on me ( issue from another alpha)

#2 When repairing stuff in inventory it dont tell you what it requires to repair.

#3 Can you change perks so the ones gated states whats required to unlock it? It dont state what level or number of perks elsewhere are needed to unlock it.

#4 Sleepers spawning way to late in buildings, clear a room loot something and turn around and there are zeds back in spots I know I cleared (happened in another alpha as well)

I know its experimental not being critical just letting you know, keep up the great work.

#2 There is a button at the top right that switches between stats and text description. Repair item is described in the text. It really should be a stat though

#3 Hover over the lock icon on the right side and you will be informed. Developers already said they will change the visibilty of this

Can someone explain how Bleed works from Zombies?

Every 2nd or 3rd hit, I get Bleeding.

Level 300, day 12. Cheating with creative to test everything.

Is bleed % seriously linked as a scaling sense of difficulty?

- - - Updated - - -

Can you post a picture of your video settings? Sounds like it is set to 1/8 textures. If you watched any of the streams there’s proof that the graphics are better in A17.

He probably has the bleed filter stuck on lol

Some feedback about the difficulty. As someone who's played this game for quite a while I don't want the pre-A17 difficulty (or lack thereof) to return however I DO feel that some things should be toned down a bit as it feels ridiculously difficult early game from what I've played so far.

Things I think need balancing:

-Bleed rates: Right now it feels like 90% of the time you get hit by anything you start to bleed. Not only is this unrealistic it detracts from the game as a whole since most of your time is spent bandaging unless you're really good at not getting hit, which even the best players will get hit sometimes.

-Traps: From what I'm noticing the spike traps (wood spikes specifically) don't seem to be slowing down zombies at all, not sure if this is working as intended or not because the description does state that they're supposed to slow them. If it is slowing them it's so minimal as to not even make any difference, either this needs to be fixed if not working correctly or imo it should be tweaked if it is working correctly.

-Early game weapon damage: Don't get me wrong with this one, I don't think that things should return to A16 levels where 200 quality (or as it is now quality 2) bow could one-shot some zombies but I do feel that weapons in general should be buffed at least a little bit. I'm not sure how it is with perks and gun attachments because I haven't had too much time to play yet and haven't gotten that far, but I do feel the weapons need higher base damage without perks or attachments.

All of these things are just from my experience so far and as I've said I haven't played too much yet so take them with a grain of salt, they're just some things to take into consideration.

EVERYTHING when it comes to melee devices sucks right now. Level 300, all perks, level 6 pickaxe and I hit for 3 stone with it. Wooden walls take forever to take down.

Block damage scaling is borked this iteration.

Faatal, you mentioned arrows hitting targets made noise, does that mean they can be used as distractions?

No, since the noise is coming from you. Distractions would make sense, but design might not like that method of dealing with zombies.

- Zombies and Vultures seem to teleport a few centimeters multiple times when walking, like it's stuttering. The animation is there but they are not really moving their spot smoothly. Doesn't happen all the time, but when it does it affects every creature. I think it's maybe on the server..

The teleporting seems to be the new sign of network lag (in A16 it was distant hits from zombies)

You do know even on a smaller bridge a center pillar system is not unheard of. That would fix it for sure.

Does not have to do with supports, but how it looked in Navazgane at all the locations where bridges are at. That is what I was told, so I didn't see it.

Archived