Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Have you tried to install Vulkan on anything other than Ubuntu? I did a few months ago, it was not plug-and-play.

I use Linux Mint which is based on Ubuntu and is in my opinion the better distro to recommend to new Linux users rather than Ubuntu. I think Vulkan is included by default now with graphics drivers since it's seeing more and more use. Artifact for example requires Vulkan.

Graphics: Vulkan-capable GPU from NVIDIA, AMD, or Intel

I use Linux Mint which is based on Ubuntu and is in my opinion the better distro to recommend to new Linux users rather than Ubuntu. I think Vulkan is included by default now with graphics drivers since it's seeing more and more use. Artifact for example requires Vulkan.

Graphics: Vulkan-capable GPU from NVIDIA, AMD, or Intel

I ran my tests on marginal hardware and I'm pretty sure mint has had an update since then. That would be my distro of choice though.

So does a SSD actually give that much of a improvement (not just 7 days I mean in general) just curious its one of the upgrades I just have never got around to doing?

Assuming you aren't running with way too little RAM, there is literally nothing you can buy for a PC that will help more than replacing your boot drive with an SSD. It is AMAZING. My daughter's i5 laptop went from 3.5 minutes to fully boot up to ~35-40 seconds.

Because TFP ask that you do so if you want to assist them with any bug reports.

right, in troubleshooting an issue that is a step to take. but its not required. I wont say I've never hit a bug, but any time I have someone has reported it first or they know about it. I just keep seeing people posting it like its a requirement to play it lol So i just thought its important to put out there, that it does not have to be done, unless you chose to report the bug

no mod manager for linux though. :(

and renaming isn't really a big problem, unless I screw up. (don't try it when slorshed) :witless:

Aside from Steam and some other tools, but Vortex would really be great, agreed! They need some development help though so if you know how to code, give their project a looksie!

Assuming you aren't running with way too little RAM, there is literally nothing you can buy for a PC that will help more than replacing your boot drive with an SSD. It is AMAZING. My daughter's i5 laptop went from 3.5 minutes to fully boot up to ~35-40 seconds.

Yeah Ram is the upgrade I am working on now going to just make the jump from 8 gigs to the 32 gigs my MoBo can support but for some reason Ram is off the charts in prices still.

So how many off topic post you think we can get to before this thread gets nuked, and do you think it will come before or after a17 drops? :smile-new:

At some point when we hit a milestone page like 3000 and everyone is clamoring to get the first post on the page Roland will delete some old posts to have a bit of fun with everyone. Other than that, hype for A17 is exactly what this thread should be about now, the off-topic has become the topic.

did i miss something? Why are people uninstalling for fresh installs BEFORE they run into issues lol

We're just being prepared, geez! Good to rule out potential problems! Like if you blow up your car with a rocket launcher, your chances of having a car accident go down to zero! :D

Agreed, I haven't bought a standard HD for over 3 years. Only SSD, they are much more affordable. Games load in a fraction of the time and productivity application can take seconds, my windows 10 boots in 10 secs . Dual SSD can easily give 300 - 500 MB/s for copies. Essential upgrade, as you say for a laptop.

I've never had to fresh install after an update. To each his own i guess. Just seems a bit silly

You have had no issues that your aware of. A17 is a total overhaul and left over files from A16 can cause conflict even TFP has suggested doing clean installs every time we do the bug bash of a new alpha. The glitch could be so small you would never notice but some have had game breaking conflicts. It just helps the bug bash if you use a clean install to weed out potential issues caused by not doing it.

Yes, FOV has a HUGE impact on motion sickness for me. 7DTD is one of the worst games in terms of giving me motion sickness and like you, certain days I can only play for 20 min before I feel nauseous. I can play Squad all day long with no problems. I think it's a combination of lighting, textures, graphics, and FOV.

Alcohol and caffeine only make it worse, FWIW :)

so I have the same thing - when I watch 7DTD streamers (not just MM) I get the same, after 15-40 minutes I need to break or I will loose it.

I have logged over 4K hours on 7DTD and I found that the following settings work great - I never get motion sick/vertigo/etc.

Settings (under Video):

- View Distance = or 10

- FOV = 70-80

- Motion Blur = OFF

- Texture quality = FULL

- Resolution full HD (1920x1080) and I play in windowed or full screen.

overall this has worked out great for me. the other settings do not seem to affect motion sickness - at least not on me.

Archived