Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

When there was an estimated release date in the header I seem to remember it saying 20:18, no idea what time-zone though.

Damn, I've waited _months_ to crack that joke. Worth it :-)

In all seriousness, expect it between 10pm and 2am Monday night in the Europe. I'm in work Tuesday so it looks like Wednesday/Thursday is going to be the first time I get a crack at it. (subtle geology pun intended)

Lol xD Frackin' hilarious!

exactly... i still cant find where the streamers were suppose to test.

testing will now or when a17 drops, be tested further by the many public eyes! :)

@dkgcracker #1 is not a bug and #2 most likely internet lag or because he was streaming but will need detailed repro steps if others can find same thing. :)

To be fair Joe, there has been talks about the stability of the release. I cant find the post now, but the gist of it was:

That if to many show stoppers arise during the streamer phase, the release of A17-E could get shifted back slightly.

That does sound like a testing phase of sorts to me. Theres even a pre-A17-E bug report thread...

But nothing wrong with testing... QA can never be to rigorous :)

zombies seem to get up pretty fast?? it certainly doesn't feel realistic, imo :) no zomebie loot? hahaha fun pimps u crack a book me up. is there a way to have random times for a zombie to spring back from the um. undeaddead? or just go with a slower time? cheers, thanks for the update.

Can someone explain me silly person how that testing will go? I get the experimental alpha installed on Monday, well more like Tuesday since I am in Europe. and start playing, but will I loose my progress daily? You will keep releasing new builds and saves will break?? Or can I force-lock in on current build and update after a week or so?? or new builds will be released on weekly bases rather than daily? I never played it being experimental always waited for stable. But A17 is so huge that I don't want to wait till Christmas to try it!

Thanks!

Can someone explain me silly person how that testing will go? I get the experimental alpha installed on Monday, well more like Tuesday since I am in Europe. and start playing, but will I loose my progress daily? You will keep releasing new builds and saves will break?? Or can I force-lock in on current build and update after a week or so?? or new builds will be released on weekly bases rather than daily? I never played it being experimental always waited for stable. But A17 is so huge that I don't want to wait till Christmas to try it!

Thanks!

In most cases you only have to wipe and restart if you plan to report bugs. There is the possibility, however, that you will have to restart at some point. Just last week I continued a game in a new build and all recipes were changed to craziness. It was unplayable and I had to start fresh.

Experimental is strictly voluntary and is not meant for a long term game by someone unwilling to begin again. You cannot force lock particular builds. It will be bad enough with some people reporting stuff because they kept their A16 save.....

Just be prepared for the worst and you should have lots of fun.

zombies seem to get up pretty fast?? it certainly doesn't feel realistic, imo :) no zomebie loot? hahaha fun pimps u crack a book me up. is there a way to have random times for a zombie to spring back from the um. undeaddead? or just go with a slower time? cheers, thanks for the update.

I was very skeptical of the instant recovery but it makes melee so much better. I never realized how much easier it made the game to be able to smack them for free.

Also on loot I was shocked at first but within the week stopped thinking about it. I’m so used to rare loot now it seems natural and I still kill zombies with abandon. Now getting a backpack is exciting and the loot is always good. Increasing the loot for yourself should be super simple but I encourage you to try it out first.

Thanks!

You've always been able to lock your game to a specific alpha version. I see no evidence of this changing.

But any A17.x versions probably will screw up past saves. Historically anyway...

To be fair Joe, there has been talks about the stability of the release. I cant find the post now, but the gist of it was:

That if to many show stoppers arise during the streamer phase, the release of A17-E could get shifted back slightly.

That does sound like a testing phase of sorts to me. Theres even a pre-A17-E bug report thread...

But nothing wrong with testing... QA can never be to rigorous :)

i agree more testing is never a bad thing as it has been proven... but point i was at is... the "misconception" that the streamers have to test before the public gets it which is totally wrong.

the concept was and still is... the streamers play thru and show off some aspects of the new stuff added or changed and if they stumble onto any bugs it will be caught by testers/devs and the public and thus looked into with hopes of no game breakers to hold back public release.

I was very skeptical of the instant recovery but it makes melee so much better. I never realized how much easier it made the game to be able to smack them for free.

Also on loot I was shocked at first but within the week stopped thinking about it. I’m so used to rare loot now it seems natural and I still kill zombies with abandon. Now getting a backpack is exciting and the loot is always good. Increasing the loot for yourself should be super simple but I encourage you to try it out first.

yep, so far when i do see a bag drop from dead zombie.... its not gonna be a piece of cloth or an empty tin can. so i just kill for xp and move on to the next one... no stopping to loot and or get killed in the process. it is much better and i love the results i see and expected to see in the streams so far. :)

also, sometimes (not always) there may be a regular brown burlap bag dropped after corpse despawns.. that is not the rare corpse loot... that was most likey some arrows. again... it doesnt happen all the time and not suppose to. but an FYI.

I'll bet there's a perk for that to :)

Zombies drop more/better loot or something.

- - - Updated - - -

You've always been able to lock your game to a specific alpha version. I see no evidence of this changing.

But.... When you opt into latest_experimental, you will always automatically download the latest experimental build, and you can't revert to a previous experimental build. So if you want to play a17 before the stable release, then you will need to download the latest build every time you log in.

But.... When you opt into latest_experimental, you will always automatically download the latest experimental build, and you can't revert to a previous experimental build. So if you want to play a17 before the stable release, then you will need to download the latest build every time you log in.

You can copy the files elsewhere and just run it from the copy.

This just in: Monday has been cancelled this week due to expected high numbers of people hammering steam for game updates.

steam will pull a "Blizzard" stunt like they do every Tuesday... steam servers down on Monday for routine maintenance and Trolland had no part with that. :)

Archived