Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Isn't that a sure sign of something that needs to be balanced? A power attack should not be the "default" choice for every attack should it? There is a reason a decent boxer throws 10 jabs for every 1 or 2 power punches. Even as I typed that I realized that if you balanced it so that you had to use 10 normals/1 power attack the game would be dull but the main point still stands, sort of.

I probably worded that wrong. You can put yourself into a bad sitution by using all your stamina, like you literally cannot throw another attack. In most cases you can hold the button until its ready to go again and time the hit. This is fighting one zombie. If there are more then no, you would not want to use all your stamina. I tend to wait and just throw power attacks though unless I'm low health and low stamina and I'm cornered, in which case I'll throw a primart attack or switch to a gun because its an emergency. Early game I use less power attacks. Once I get going I invest in Agility and sexual trex and then I can nearly power attack all the time with some weapons.

There is probably a lot of balancing to do yet too :)

I've been watching Kage for couple years and I can honestly say that seemed like the most fun and the most scared I've seen him in 7 Days the whole time I've watched. He did freak out about the lvl gate for Forge but seemed to get past it. I really never have agreed with how fast he thinks progression should be so I think that part of A17 is perfect. It always disappointed me when I got a forge running on day 2 unless I just lucked into a usable one.

- - - Updated - - -

LMAO. Don't you just love code? It's like it has a mind of it's own and likes to screw with devs. The tree code basically went, "hmmmm I would like to cause a bug but if it has anything to do with trees it will be too easy for those damn devs....I KNOW the zombies go poof." :)

Level 20 is nothing in the grand scheme of things. Progression feels amazing now to me. When you get your first iron tools it feels very rewarding and theres a lot more cool things to get long after that, and a lot of interesting choices, like light vs heavy armor, what weapon to specialize in, mods etc.

I have a question for the Devs. What is the design philosophy behind not putting the food and water status indicator on your HUD. I'm not a fan of going into your character screen to keep checking. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has an OCD with wanting to know my food and water levels at all times.

I probably worded that wrong. You can put yourself into a bad sitution by using all your stamina, like you literally cannot throw another attack. In most cases you can hold the button until its ready to go again and time the hit. This is fighting one zombie. If there are more then no, you would not want to use all your stamina. I tend to wait and just throw power attacks though unless I'm low health and low stamina and I'm cornered, in which case I'll throw a primart attack or switch to a gun because its an emergency. Early game I use less power attacks. Once I get going I invest in Agility and sexual trex and then I can nearly power attack all the time with some weapons.

There is probably a lot of balancing to do yet too :)

I always expect a lot of balance issues in any alpha but to be balance looks decent so far. With how late in the alpha you all were working on the Skill Tree I was kind of scared the balance would be WAY off this time. But after watching Kage and Pokket I think you did an amazing job with balancing for an experimental release. Great job. I can't wait til Monday/Tuesday now. :)

I have a question for the Devs. What is the design philosophy behind not putting the food and water status indicator on your HUD. I'm not a fan of going into your character screen to keep checking. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has an OCD with wanting to know my food and water levels at all times.

The food bar is right there. Its the black part of your stamina bar. Water simply provides a speedy recovery so it doesn't really impact the game enough to bother with a bar. When its low enough to impact game play (50% or less) it pops up on the screen. Its impact is so low that its not a big deal.

Good. The Project Management discipline was non-existent for this version. You should consider getting a *real* PM that understands the gaming development process, and has the authority to make people toe the line. Many exist. Really, the project creep here for an alpha was horrendous and completely unacceptable in all but hobby projects. Now that I've said what desperately needed to be said, I will shut my mouth and go back to the shadows. (Awaiting the ban hammer and "you're a poopy-head" type comments).

You sat in on TFP's meetings? I bet that was fun. Did you win a contest or something? I assume you were there since you felt you could make an informed judgement of something as hidden from public view as project management.

I dropped in on a couple of streamers today and yesterday and like what I saw. in Todays stream event the boat house or what ever it was looked really cool. there was what looked like a baby stag/deer with horns, I thought it was a jackalope at first. so what was it?

this was Midnightdesigners twitch stream

around: 03:52:05-20

If its PVE, why do you even need a land claim?

Because Moderators and Managers of servers can't be vigilant 24/7 and a Land Claim Block's protection used to be the only thing stopping a raid from potentially happening on a PvE server. This change makes it real interesting as the owner since my protection used to go over a public safe zone for all the players. Now I can't protect my own base at the same time unless I have a friend.

This Landclaim change is INCREDIBLY stifling and if for some reason you're worried that people having multiple Landclaims could adversely effect the game's mechanics some way. Then please, leave that for us to personally deal with. All it takes is a suggestion I saw in this forum.

Adding an XML option that determines how many active landclaims a player may have. (Without triggering a server into MODDED mode)

I just..... From both a player standpoint, from generally every standpoint and most that I've asked. This limit to a single Landclaim is likely going to cause people to riot the moment they touch A17-Experimental. Please, perhaps some incite as to why it has to be this way if you're not willing to budge on allowing us grief-protected creative control over our own servers anymore?

PvP servers I can see this forcefully changes gameplay. "Hey I punched some random blocks and found Landclaim protection is here. This must be your active base then. That was easy to find!"

That has to be a bug with low quality graphics settings hopefully we can fix.

That's good to hear. Hopefully it's addressed before A17 stable. Some players are forced to play on low settings. The bug fundamentally changes gameplay, especially for teammates who have different graphic settings in the same game.

Proud. I knew we had something special about a month ago when I was starting to seriously test every night. The streamers and audience reactions only confirmed it.

Time to start pumping out expansions! Alot of us would gladly pay for them. You guys need money to keep producing this amount of content!

Good. The Project Management discipline was non-existent for this version. You should consider getting a *real* PM that understands the gaming development process, and has the authority to make people toe the line. Many exist. Really, the project creep here for an alpha was horrendous and completely unacceptable in all but hobby projects. Now that I've said what desperately needed to be said, I will shut my mouth and go back to the shadows. (Awaiting the ban hammer and "you're a poopy-head" type comments).

So how much project coordination experience do you have, how about coding ? Seems like you would be a great fit for the team. You know it all already.

Does anyone have a link to a decent & informative Utube Vid cos & I dont mean to offend but the 2 Ive seen from well known Utubers were ♥♥♥♥.... Lowest difficulty, walking zombies dies 2 times while stood still & fighting 1 zombie lmao... Ramped up Mods ive been attacked by 20 before while 30 are roaming within 10 meters of me..... This is NOT hard by any means nor does it show off the points of Alpha 17 in any way I find interesting

Oh & while im commenting to I just say that the Health system, Stam heal bollocks was obviously thought up by someone WHO HAS NEVER played a PC or any other type of game in their life lol....

Its nothing short of Stupid..... I watched a Utber get his ass kicked (By a single zombie) He had meds & bandages on him & couldnt heal with either until he upped the stam bar by using 10 bandages lol....

Yeah i don't think any of the hardened fans are appreciating what we're seeing on the streams from what I've been hearing.

The real test is when we get a crack at it.

Kage is cool but he really should be grabbing up cotton to make cloth and bandages.

No backseat gaming! Graaar! LOL

A future update putting a changeable value in the config file for number of claim blocks allowed would seem to allow for all options.

Of course we had talked about that option but you know... there were a lot of things to do in this update and we went with the one way that would work without turning into a huge can of worms all by itself.

Just for starters, this "simple" option would require a UI to determine which claim block is active and which isn't.

I can't wait to see more of the Perks and stuff, trying to plan what hubby will take on and what I need to pick up is hard from watching the streams. (we play MP on our own server). The graphics are SWEET@@@. The only oddity I saw was vultures kept flapping after they were killed. Love the new POIs and the quest I saw was interesting, hope to see more of those as well. It is hard for me to watch the streamers since my vertigo kicks in. Stupid i know, I manage to get motion sick in car washes as well. frack me. GREAT UPDATE!!!!

@faatal

Had a short brief with my 8y/o nephew who likes the stories I tell him about this game before he falls asleep and when I told him that we can`t build underground houses anymore to be safe (cuz your AI) he said a bit worried to me, quote "so he is making all of you homeless ?" You guys.. thank you !

So did I get the progression right? There is only one XP pool. When you level up you get points which you then buy perks or skills for ex strength.

In other words kill zombies and magically become a great mechanic?

Hmmm....

But damn that alpha looks good!!

after killing them you set a lil and have a deep thinking, YOU FIGURED SOMETHING OUT IN MECHANICS!!! :) :)

but you also get xp from other things, so thats that

Archived