Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Eh. If someone wants to go in and out of a building ten times just to ensure that he sees all the sleepers and can kill them easily, let them do it. The game is a race against time, after all, so leaving and entering each POI several times just for that already takes a toll in the form of lots of wasted time.

I feel the same way. It breaks my immersion to have the zombies spawn this way, but I'll take that any day of the week over the glowing cops - especially in a POI that I haven't looted yet.

-A

Roland, please implore the powers that be to add one tiny request. It'll serve all parties greatly. Joel will be able to truly display his artistic abilities, gazz will be inspired, faatal will be able to do dazzling shimmering effects with it, ave the rest of the team can pitch in also. All I ask for is.......

A wearable Carmen Miranda fruit hat. Nothing says stay classy folks in an apocalypse like one.

Roland, please implore the powers that be to add one tiny request. It'll serve all parties greatly. Joel will be able to truly display his artistic abilities, gazz will be inspired, faatal will be able to do dazzling shimmering effects with it, ave the rest of the team can pitch in also. All I ask for is.......

A wearable Carmen Miranda fruit hat. Nothing says stay classy folks in an apocalypse like one.

Well, I can't say I approve but I do appreciate your honesty. :)

Sounds like a perfect candidate for Spiders "Stuff" mod.

-A

The issue is say, you break into the door of a house. Inside you see one room, with a door. There is one sleeper.

However, this is a small house, so the entire poi has one volume with 10 spots, 5 of which spawn zombies.

The 4 spawned in other rooms.

You kill that one. You leave.

You come back 10 seconds later, it reshuffled. Now that /closed off room/ has two of the four remaining zombies.

So although the mechanic is different, the and result is the same as a16. Teleporting spawners.

Add this with missing a zed in the house and setting up camp.

The issue is say, you break into the door of a house. Inside you see one room, with a door. There is one sleeper.

However, this is a small house, so the entire poi has one volume with 10 spots, 5 of which spawn zombies.

You come back 10 seconds later, it reshuffled. Now that /closed off room/ has two of the four remaining zombies.

So although the mechanic is different, the and result is the same as a16. Teleporting spawners.

Maybe I just don't understand the mechanic fully...but it still doesn't seem the same. Similar, but not the same. In your example, it seems much more like A16...but in A16, if I understand correctly, ALL the sleepers respawn when you leave and return. Now, yes, things reshuffle, so a previously-dead sleeper location spawns a zed...but one of the OTHER previously-filled sleeper locations doesn't spawn, because one of the zombies is dead, and the POI remembers that.

Am I misunderstanding?

That seems like an oops moment. Also, it's a minimum of 5 sleeper volumes in a POI. faatal explained it. So you shouldn't have that many issues of missing a room for a single sleeper volume. Also, you now need to be at least 30 meters away for 30 seconds for it to despawn the sleeper volume for it to respawn them back in. This is for A17, though.

If you need to be 30 meters away to despawn, I'm guessing it's that same distance for them to spawn in the first place? If so, then yeah, if a vehicle makes enough sound, it'll wake sleepers before you get to the house? faatal, can you explain?

I can't imagine, say, one of those tiny western buildings, having 5 volumes. There aren't that many rooms.

I see the future; I see this issue happening, and I see the end user being frustrated because they just rebuilt the door they came in through and placed a bedroll in that enclosed room, yet zombies still respawn.

I truly hope I'm wrong.

I can't imagine, say, one of those tiny western buildings, having 5 volumes. There aren't that many rooms.

I see the future; I see this issue happening, and I see the end user being frustrated because they just rebuilt the door they came in through and placed a bedroll in that enclosed room, yet zombies still respawn.

I truly hope I'm wrong.

Pretty sure he's meaning for anything that's multi-room. Those tiny ones that are one room, probably 1 volume, the one with 2 rooms, probably 2 volumes. Lol. What if it already is? Seems like any time I open one of those places, has about 5+ zombies rushing out x.x... But makes it easy to still kill them all.

True. And of course everyone knows cats would win anyway so why argue over it?

My 2 cents

Dogs have been used throughout our time for many important tasks such as hauling,herding,rescuing,hunting,tracking,theraputic,etc.

For cats we got

Cat vidoes..

My 2 cents

Dogs have been used throughout our time for many important tasks such as hauling,herding,rescuing,hunting,tracking,theraputic,etc.

For cats we got

Cat vidoes..

I still like dog videos more... hehe. And really only good cat videos, are actually kitten videos. Like kittens, hate cats. Love puppies, love dogs, and dogs are always puppies regardless of age, so there's that.

Depends on how the dog was treated.

However, I know more dogs and stories that the owner dies, and the dog dies laying next to them. Cats, I have never heard of the cat doing the same. My lord, what kind of topic did we get on x.x

So cats go for survival :p

I'm not a game programmer, but we already have a system in place for item respawns. Couldn't you use the same thing, and just shorten the time lapse from 30 days to 1 day. That way sleeper volumes would only respawn when the area is not occupied by players for 1 day. Sounds pretty simple to me, but I have no idea how the one system could be adapted for the other.

I'm not a game programmer, but we already have a system in place for item respawns. Couldn't you use the same thing, and just shorten the time lapse from 30 days to 1 day. That way sleeper volumes would only respawn when the area is not occupied by players for 1 day. Sounds pretty simple to me, but I have no idea how the one system could be adapted for the other.

They already have a system in place for that for sleepers. Once you fully clear a volume, they go onto a timer to reset (are cleared during this time). The issue is when it's not fully cleared, they will respawn if you leave the area and come back. If you didn't do that, you could walk in, walk out, let it despawn, now free house to loot.

I truly hope I'm wrong.

I don't see any issue. The guy should have been thorough when clearing the POI before setting up camp and placing a door and a bedroll. If you clear one room but don't look into the other where there might be zombies, you can't expect said zombies not to, at some point, wander into the room you cleared while you're away. And again, it's still not the same as A16, because the issue in A16 is that all sleepers respawn. They don't in A17, as far as faatal has mentioned.

They already have a system in place for that for sleepers. Once you fully clear a volume, they go onto a timer to reset (are cleared during this time). The issue is when it's not fully cleared, they will respawn if you leave the area and come back. If you didn't do that, you could walk in, walk out, let it despawn, now free house to loot.

I get that, but I was thinking just tie each volume to that system. If you have 5 volumes, but only clear 2 of them, then the other 3 can still respawn if you come back, but the 2 you cleared are on the timer, that way you don't have a sleeper spawned on a volume that you cleared. Maybe I just don't really understand how the whole thing works, but I agree that something spawning in an area I cleared is somewhat bothersome. On the other hand, if I didn't clear the attic, I don't care if the sleeper that was in there is in a different location, but It shouldn't move from the attic to the kitchen that I cleared.

Archived