Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Wasn't there an issue with large POI's being unable to be added to RNG? If memory serves the hand-egg stadium had to be split into two parts to add it to nave. Anyone know if this is still an issue with A17?

Mine were less than 200x200 ..whatever the max was for adding them.

Guppy had a motocross track...that was awesome!!

Wasn't there an issue with large POI's being unable to be added to RNG? If memory serves the hand-egg stadium had to be split into two parts to add it to nave. Anyone know if this is still an issue with A17?

I'm thinking it's due to how stuff loads in. I know another guy earlier is making that aircraft carrier and having the same issue. It's too large for the chunks, so it never loads in if it's one piece, so he has to load it in as 2 pieces. I'm guessing that would be the same issue here, unless you could somehow make it to where those pieces ALWAYS load in connected, but I wouldn't know where to start with that to make sure the blocks are lined up. I could be wrong. You'd think it'd be one large POI, but made up of lots of smaller ones. Again, one reason I can't wait for this to be able to fully take a map hand made like Navezgane from other people. Things will be placed with a bit more reason. Random just seems too random for me, doesn't make much sense where things are located. I think some of that's been improved with A17 with the bits we've heard.

- - - Updated - - -

Mine were less than 200x200 ..whatever the max was for adding them.

Guppy had a motocross track...that was awesome!!

So it is because of size. Is there a way for POIs to know what other POIs it should go with or how to line up?

I'm thinking it's due to how stuff loads in. I know another guy earlier is making that aircraft carrier and having the same issue. It's too large for the chunks, so it never loads in if it's one piece, so he has to load it in as 2 pieces. I'm guessing that would be the same issue here, unless you could somehow make it to where those pieces ALWAYS load in connected, but I wouldn't know where to start with that to make sure the blocks are lined up. I could be wrong. You'd think it'd be one large POI, but made up of lots of smaller ones. Again, one reason I can't wait for this to be able to fully take a map hand made like Navezgane from other people. Things will be placed with a bit more reason. Random just seems too random for me, doesn't make much sense where things are located. I think some of that's been improved with A17 with the bits we've heard.

- - - Updated - - -

So it is because of size. Is there a way for POIs to know what other POIs it should go with or how to line up?

You are asking the wrong guy bud...I just build them...no clue on the other magic that happens with them.

I'm sure someone with those mythical powers will answer.

Guppycur Guppycur Guppycur

Oh, quick question.. I forgot..

How do you open 7DTD Client while it's already 'running'? (PID seems to share with startdedicated.bat)

I can open 7DTD, then startdedicated, but not the other way around..

So if I crash, I have to kick everyone off the server before I can get back in.

You probably got so many answers as private messages that your private message quota is full. Check your forum mail. In case your quota was exceeded a long time ago here is my answer:

With a little guesswork: I suspect startdedicated.bat doesn't really start a headless server but a client without gui that occupies your steam licence. Oh, the joys of DRM :upset:

If I'm right you have three options:

A) Start a real headless server (which you can download from steam, howto descriptions are on the net/in the forum, probably search for "headless server 7 days") does not use the steam licence and because of that you can start your client simultaneously. I do operate a headless server and I can start my client at the same time, so I know it works.

B) Start your client normally with a multiplayer game and let your friends connect to that. Naturally that means that a client crash will also kill the server, but you save the kicking and extra server restart.

C) Buy another copy of 7D2D on a separate steam account and use startdedicated in a parallel OS account and with that steam account. EDIT: In light of wolffbloods info buying another copy seems superfluous, just copy the game files to a different location and use the batch file from there.

EDIT: If this doesn't work, read the error messages and really try to understand them (many people just ignore error messages because they think they won't understand them anyway) and check the logfiles of 7d2d for more information.

You are asking the wrong guy bud...I just build them...no clue on the other magic that happens with them.

I'm sure someone with those mythical powers will answer.

Guppycur Guppycur Guppycur

Lol, there's definitely a maximum size that random world will Import in. Hopefully that's been adjusted for a17, but a15 allowed for prefabs to be joined together, that function was broken in a16.

Magoli cried that day.

Also it would be cool to have clothing get wet (every slot fill up like a wetness bar - like in the long dark), that would freeze over in the snow but would cool you in the desert while it dries.

Uh, have you never gotten wet in A16.4? Being wet makes you colder and there is a percentage indicator (umbrella) that shows how wet you are

Lol, there's definitely a maximum size that random world will Import in. Hopefully that's been adjusted for a17, but a15 allowed for prefabs to be joined together, that function was broken in a16.

Magoli cried that day.

Oh, so at one point you could. So that carrier could have work pre-A16, but A16 broke it. More than likely fixed for A17 I'd bet. I'm excited to see all the changes and find new ones. I mean we really only talk to, what, 3 devs? There's so many more out there doing more stuff. Wish we had a list of literally everything and in more detail like how faatal does with us.

Oh, quick question.. I forgot..

How do you open 7DTD Client while it's already 'running'? (PID seems to share with startdedicated.bat)

I can open 7DTD, then startdedicated, but not the other way around..

So if I crash, I have to kick everyone off the server before I can get back in.

Hmmm, I actually don't have that issue. I usually can have the startdedicated.bat running all the time so my friends can jump on whenever they want, of course as long as my computer is on and it's running the server. When I want to get on, I can just open the client and it goes. Only have 1 copy of 7DtD. Though I do make copies of the game for each mod and do it that way. So I can actually have multiple servers going (1 server per copy) if I so wished, but only 1 client running. I wouldn't know where the difference would be.

@Roland or @Faatal or @Madmole or @Gazz

Do you plan to make trolleys usable to transport things?

Maybe a Handcart would be nice too to build without receipe/shematics/blue print

as soon as you have some tires and some wood.

And then last but not least as an extension for vehicles - a trailer.

Because one of the first things i would organise in zombie apocalypse ist something

to transport needed stuff.

Best regards

Yoghira

Maybe a Handcart would be nice too to build without receipe/shematics/blue print

Because one of the first things i would organise in zombie apocalypse ist something

Best regards

Yoghira

I assume you mean the shopping carts for us over here in the colony. Have you heard the notice they make when you search them, Imagine what they would sound like if you moved them, and one always has a wonky wheel that drags you suddenly violently offcourse to ram into another shopper or a large fragile display (oh, maybe I do that on purpose)

Best regards

Yoghira

They talked about a trailer being an issue currently. Something about how it works. They'll have more answers about that, just wanted to let you know it has been talked about and thought of. As for the handcart, I think that'd be cool to have. Have it something that zombies would go after if food was in it though? Probably easiest thing would that it just makes more noise currently.

We still need an airport POI too. I had made 2 of them...a suburban one and a rural one. I believe they were added to one of the combo pack awhile ago. I will post pictures later. Even had a helipad for the gyrocopter.

Ouch

That would be nice to have. Even a small airport with small aircraft would be nice. Wrecked OFC.

Could even do a mission there were the trader sends you off there to find the bluprints of a flying aircraft.

I assume you mean the shopping carts for us over here in the colony. Have you heard the notice they make when you search them, Imagine what they would sound like if you moved them, and one always has a wonky wheel that drags you suddenly violently offcourse to ram into another shopper or a large fragile display (oh, maybe I do that on purpose)

LOL I am sitting here picturing in my head all the shopping carts (trolleys) that barely roll on the flat, smooth surface of the store floor. I can not IMAGINE the horror of trying to roll one down the street/ cross country during a zombie apocalypse.

I think the issue in game was item location as it related to lag and how the server sees separate, but connected entities.

That dodgy wheel is a world wide problem the UN need to deal with.

Well to be honest that was my take on why it was removed. I know it felt unnatural to me compared to what I was used to and one day it was just removed and everything was back to the way it has always been. I don't know the actual reason it was reverted with many MANY apologies to the many MANY people who played the beegezus out of Borderlands 2.

I'll ask.

EDIT: From Joel: It was not a good control scheme for moving in close quarters and having fine control in tense situations and we decided we didn't like it for this game.

That’s a fair answer. Something to consider for A18 is adding an extra keybind for a sprint toggle. For example Shift would be hold to sprint, and another key, e.g., control, could be a sprint toggle. Then you’d have the best of both worlds. Hold for fighting and toggle for exploring.

Yes, you are right, i mean shopping carts. Here in germany they have actually very good ones. Stable rubber tires with very good bearings. Of course some shops have carts with theft protection - they insert some kind of break if you leave the shop with them.

We still need an airport POI too. I had made 2 of them...a suburban one and a rural one. I believe they were added to one of the combo pack awhile ago. I will post pictures later. Even had a helipad for the gyrocopter.

Ouch

Hmm...this could be the path that leads to obtaining your own personal gyrocopter, or maybe an important piece that is tied to the quest.

Archived