Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Did you ever play Borderlands 2?

Didn't seem all that unintuitive to the many MANY people who played the beegezus out of it.

Well to be honest that was my take on why it was removed. I know it felt unnatural to me compared to what I was used to and one day it was just removed and everything was back to the way it has always been. I don't know the actual reason it was reverted with many MANY apologies to the many MANY people who played the beegezus out of Borderlands 2.

I'll ask.

EDIT: From Joel: It was not a good control scheme for moving in close quarters and having fine control in tense situations and we decided we didn't like it for this game.

I just saw what got reverted. Far ago when the shift thing was announced I said I disliked it because alternating walk/run in small bursts was good to avoid zombies while keeping stamina under control.

I don't know how stamina feels with all the changes in A17, but I'm definitely happy that decision got reverted.

Did you ever play Borderlands 2?

Didn't seem all that unintuitive to the many MANY people who played the beegezus out of it.

I was one of them and I still find toggling unintuitive :s

Spoilage is a must btw, still waiting for it. In fact, why don't you delay A17 to introduce spoilage (half serious).

For the people still on the Sewer topic..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25301[/ATTACH]

So I made this.. (Click me!)

Tried brick, kind of fails..

Banged it out in like.. half an hour or something.. just a quick job with few tossed in aesthetics to get the point across.. ;x

thanx for showing. it looks cool. i wish, we can get seweage system under big cityes.

Oh, quick question.. I forgot..

How do you open 7DTD Client while it's already 'running'? (PID seems to share with startdedicated.bat)

I can open 7DTD, then startdedicated, but not the other way around..

So if I crash, I have to kick everyone off the server before I can get back in.

Spoilage would suck on very active servers. Imagine planting at night going to bed and waking up to 4 days later and all spoiled crops... Some players play every few days and they would have to plan real life to manage their crops.

Maybe a LONG timer for neglect, or a few hordes/animals/insects% ripping through their crops could make a crop loss situation...? Nulifying the "seed" recipe all together could make the game incredibly difficult if you could ONLY find seeds and not make them, but thats all too unrealistic.

On the other hand food spoilage in general would add a serious level of difficulty, but then again having a canning system recipe would make that just another task... but then we are just talking doing extra coding for the pimps for layers of difficulty...

I personally don't want a burdensome tedious system... but I do see the need to have food a "challenge" till the zeds get stronger.. (80-100th level?)

Also, can we pick up the "baby plants" and they become seeds to relocate the field or change the ratios of growth if we want?

Just make it an option. Boom! problem solved. This can be applied to most silly things people are arguing about on here.

EDIT: From Joel: It was not a good control scheme for moving in close quarters and having fine control in tense situations and we decided we didn't like it for this game.

I actually agree with that.

And I don't consider holding down a shift key much of a pain. In my own experience, when my hand gets tired it's usually due to pressing buttons much harder than it's needed.

Spoilage is a must btw, still waiting for it. In fact, why don't you delay A17 to introduce spoilage (half serious).

+1

Also it would be cool to have clothing get wet (every slot fill up like a wetness bar - like in the long dark), that would freeze over in the snow but would cool you in the desert while it dries.

The sewers could be a POI that spawn under the city, it could maybe have 6-7 variants.

Unless you place sewers under the roads, as modern cities tend to do, you'll end up with random building collapses. The reason cities tend to place sewers under roads is to prevent random building collapses and allow for easier access.

The choice is then to crudely lever the POI system to operate below the ground or write an algorithm to generate sewers at runtime. The latter would be easier.

Unless you place sewers under the roads, as modern cities tend to do, you'll end up with random building collapses. The reason cities tend to place sewers under roads is to prevent random building collapses and allow for easier access.

The choice is then to crudely lever the POI system to operate below the ground or write an algorithm to generate sewers at runtime. The latter would be easier.

I believe in like Alpha 14-15 there were HUGE sewers under towns and cities and they were pretty deep and nothing was collapsing ^^.

I assume he is referring to Slaanhatten, essentially a handmade city. It had some pretty awesome sewers.

I think it may be this mod by the same author. Good work but a little crude in the implementation, not really surprising given the underlying engine really wasn't meant to do such a thing.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?32929-Fully-connected-sewer-subway-syetem-for-random-gen-cities

I think it may be this mod by the same author. Good work but a little crude in the implementation, not really surprising given the underlying engine really wasn't meant to do such a thing.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?32929-Fully-connected-sewer-subway-syetem-for-random-gen-cities

That's more likely, I never actually tried that mod but I did explore Slaanhatten's laggy greatness ;)

Just guessing, but if the new larger puzzle pois increase generation time, then adding swers would be the same kind of generation hit.

That said, maybe a18 could be the underground update? They could focus on the perlin cave system, underground pois, and large city sewer system generation. I would think you would only really need maybe a dozen pois that are tiled for the entire understreet system, with maybe a few specialty ones like a big cistern with a bunch of sleepers, or a big underground water treatment plant.

That would also give the code monkeys more time to really sort out bandits and the quest systems, but it would give us a new update in much less time that a17 and give us a significant addition to play without a huge development time hit.

An interesting addition might be a collapsed street poi leading down into the sewers, blocking off easy access to some parts of it. Manhole access could be every few city blocks, making it a little harder to explore the entire thing.

If pois can be stacked in rgw, they could even add underground storage rooms with sidewalk access (like they used to use in large cities.)

When I worked in Cleveland, we had a big steel door in the basement of the store I worked in. We learned that the city actually had an underground access tunnel under the sidewalks, which connected to store rooms under each store. They all had steel doors between them separating them. Deliveries would use an elevator in the middle of the sidewalk. (covered by a steel grate when closed)

We actually found the store key to the system, and went in one day after hours. It was ungodly creepy, and we didn't go further than two or three storerooms down because it just was THAT creepy.

I just present the idea because there is a lot that can pretty easily be added underground, and thats one of the things we love about minecraft still... the underground doubles rwg exploration.

And now that we have the gyrocopter, I really want the code repurposed for a parasail to quickly descend from tall skyscrapers. If link can do it in BOTW, we should be able to do it as well in 7 Days.

(explosive crossbow bolt elevation boosts could even be added to keep from descending onto a zombie bear or ferals!)

So for sewers below a street, you could basically have buildings that are actually laying on their side and submerged with one side at ground level..

Make it as wide as a regular street to allow different sewer layouts.

You would need:

A straight section,

A "T" section,

A + section,

and two corner sections.

Don't allow it to build sewers on any town on a slope as it might look bad. Could work :D

***Also have one side of the building look like an asphalt street. It would be large enough to have quite a few interior layouts too!

And done!***

<snipped for space>

This is why I specified American sewers. Most old cities in Europe have extensive underground areas. We have a few small rivers running under ours, nobody really notices until something like this happens...

The catacombs of Paris _might_ be doable, the passages seem thin enough to circumvent most SI problems...

Archived