Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Um, I have one that was about $850 and I can do high with 7 in view distance with no problem (The larger the distance, the more rough it gets since it just means more the computer has to actively do). So if I make the view distance max, yeah, not very good, lol. I'm okay with this since I play mainly SP or with a couple friends. It plays most other games on high everything, but not ultra, etc. The stuttering gets to me a bit, but that's most anyone because of how 7DtD is currently programmed. MM said it was fixed for A17E already way back, so I should then be good there. So that's on the cheap end. If you really want something good, it can and possibly will cost you up to $2,000. But that can last you for 5+ years... That's just what I've noticed.

Thanks for the response, that helps put it in perspective. I'm happy if I can hang around the $1,000 range so I like what I'm hearing!

Depends on what resolution and graphics settings you're looking to use. I'm running a 980ti, I7 8700K, 16Gb Ram and the game runs 60+ FPS on 1080p with most things maxed out. On 1440P the fps get around 45ish but it drops more frequently too.

Wait a month till Black Friday/Cyber Monday. You will make out like a bandit with all the sales. I would suggest getting your wish list together on pcpartpicker.com and setting alerts to the gear you want. It also shows you what is compatible.

That is great advice, but it is an expensive time of year with 4 kids, 2 birthdays and a wedding anniversary in the last 3 months of the year. This will be a 2019 project. I'll still check out the site though. Thanks for the tip! How much did your rig cost to build?

I understand all of the optimizations and reasons for a smaller map except one. Does anyone feel as though a smaller random gen will kill multiplayer? How will finite resources such as wrenching cars be handled when these are the first resources to frustrate players who have joined on day 255? The only way out, that I see, is to make every every object, thing, doohicky, widget, and gun craftable with richer mines that don't require swiss cheezing out 3 region maps just to get enough resources for the night 7 after the night 7 that just depleted you of gun powder, brass, lead, and iron depending on your trap choices. PvP is already dead. I'm just hoping changes will be made by alpha 23 that encourages multiplayer environments.

I wouldn't get your hopes up. It's been clear for a while now that this is the direction that the devs want to push the game - from "survival horror" to "action rpg".

Personally, I don't like the idea that the traders exist and I never use them; and I really dislike the idea of going and doing quests for factions - to me, that goes completely against the grain of it being a survival game. It's bad enough in A16 in that there are some items that can never be found, only bought. I'd hate to think that in A17 even more stuff will be gated behind the quest system so that I'll be forced to be running around doing errands for people if I want to progress in the game. It completely destroys the idea that I'm out there on my own trying to survive against the odds.

Yeah i never like traders Also.

No need to loot if you can grind some material and sell them in stacks.i dont use trader but hope they changed how it works.

Yeah i never like traders Also.

No need to loot if you can grind some material and sell them in stacks.i dont use trader but hope they changed how it works.

I don't mind traders in theory. Prices need to just be adjusted big time to make it less of a hack. I should always be completely ripped off at the trader if I need him that bad.

I don't mind traders in theory. Prices need to just be adjusted big time to make it less of a hack. I should always be completely ripped off at the trader if I need him that bad.

I think they should have somethings they want per a week that changes every week.

so lets say medical supplies one day and weapons the next.

Roland, maybe you can answer this. Out of all the new poi's added to A17 are any of them "vertical dungeons" like dishong tower or the construction site?

There’s one that I’m thinking of that is quite vertical but not into the air....

The devs are still deciding which tells me that what you are saying is not correct. This game is all about doing what you want, not pigeon holed to norms.

If push comes to shove I'm sure it can be changed in mod, hopefully.

I actually tend to ignore POIs since all i really need is a bow.

Truth. The devs are ALWAYS still deciding on nearly everything. Alpha. People should post about what they don’t like and why they don’t like it. That is exactly the type of negative feedback that is desired. I’ll take one “I don’t think it’s good to have mods only be available through quests” post over a thousand “I don’t think the devs should take a year to update their game” posts any day.

Also mods are like any object and can be added or subtracted to loot tables pretty easily. You could make it so nests give mods if you want. Mutant birds, you know.

Thanks for the response, that helps put it in perspective. I'm happy if I can hang around the $1,000 range so I like what I'm hearing!

yeah, it's 8gb, ryzen 5, amd rx 580, so nothing fancy. but for $130 can add 16gb more later, for $200 then can switch out for a ryzen 7. graphics card is good, so is motherboard. It's a great starter and plenty of room to expand and replace little by little over time instead of dish out couple grand for all at once. That's what I was looking for. Easier for me to do $100-200 here and there than $2,000 at once. And it means you get a computer faster that is good to use then can build it up to that $2,000 by the time you would have actually then saved up for it.

Truth. The devs are ALWAYS still deciding on nearly everything. Alpha. People should post about what they don’t like and why they don’t like it. That is exactly the type of negative feedback that is desired. I’ll take one “I don’t think it’s good to have mods only be available through quests” post over a thousand “I don’t think the devs should take a year to update their game” posts any day.

Also mods are like any object and can be added or subtracted to loot tables pretty easily. You could make it so nests give mods if you want. Mutant birds, you know.

I honestly haven't found too much that I don't like. Really the only thing may be how fast you can get everything in vanilla if done in certain ways, which is why I either mod to spread it out or just gate myself on when I can make things and all. I did that with the progression to make things slow down.

I modded the progression xml to go to lvl 1000, increased all the other levels, etc. So to make steel tools and all, you need lvl 6 in miner 69er, lumberjack, etc. Decreased xp needed to level early on, much more needed later, increased points need to max skills (some you need about 1,200 points for just 10 levels), while increasing skill points gained per lvl by a little to compensate. Still doing some tweaking, but still slows things way down while still feeling like you are getting somewhere because you level faster. Was a good compromise for myself. Friends and I love it. I love being able to mod files, and excited for how things are going to become much better for it. Some of it sounds like you could add "abilities" or "skills" based on items, perks, etc. soon. Or at least simpler.

For DEVS or ROLAND

Question pertaining to vehicle/ powered tool crafting.

Currently we can upgrade these items by trading out the engine or handlebars or any of the components.

In a17 is sounds like this is no longer possible, SO when we make a vehicle and it is X quality, is there no way to upgrade it and in order to make something X+1 quality we have to make a new vehicle from scratch?

I don’t know the future of combining. Sorry. Quality tiers are completely different in A17 and I think it’s impossible to really get it until you can play it. There is no effective difference between a blue item and a purple item other than the blue item has five mod slots and the purple item has six mod slots. So if you only own four mods then there is no reason really to craft a purple item other than that the purple item will last a little longer.

Vehicles are in a bit of a twilight zone. You no longer build them by assembling components of differing quality but they also don’t have mods yet. Do higher quality just drive faster? I’m not sure but I don’t think so. Seems like things like speed, handling, armor, cargo space, etc would be perfect for the mod system but it’s not done yet for vehicles.

Be patient. Now that the system is in place they should be able to create mods for clothing, tools, and vehicles pretty quickly. Weapons are the test case for the system for A17e at least

Roland

Great Job buddy

Devs

Great job love everything so far looks amazing. Keep up the Great Work. Expecting Great Things and dont worry about the bugs.

Joel

You Definitely have me excited for the new Perk System. Im a Chef so i love the fact theres a Master Chef Perk now. Cant Wait to try it out ill be looking forward to Alpha 17 and all of its New Content that is has to offer.

But

I do have 2 questions. 1. now since there will be a New Alpha does this mean Navesgane will be changed or will it remain the same?

2. Havent seen the Health Bar on Zombies lately did that change?

Roland

Great Job buddy

Devs

Great job love everything so far looks amazing. Keep up the Great Work. Expecting Great Things and dont worry about the bugs.

Joel

You Definitely have me excited for the new Perk System. Im a Chef so i love the fact theres a Master Chef Perk now. Cant Wait to try it out ill be looking forward to Alpha 17 and all of its New Content that is has to offer.

But

I do have 2 questions. 1. now since there will be a New Alpha does this mean Navesgane will be changed or will it remain the same?

2. Havent seen the Health Bar on Zombies lately did that change?

1. Navesgane has changed. There's a video on it, also since 2 biomes are now gone and merged with another, that will change things up. I know there is now a town in the snow biome where there is none currently.

2. The health bars on zombies was from him doing videos in debug mode or some such, but the actual game does not unless you play in debug mode. At least that is current.

Vehicles are in a bit of a twilight zone. You no longer build them by assembling components of differing quality but they also don’t have mods yet. Do higher quality just drive faster? I’m not sure but I don’t think so. Seems like things like speed, handling, armor, cargo space, etc would be perfect for the mod system but it’s not done yet for vehicles.

Higher quality vehicles have more durability.

Let's try this. I made this google sheet and copied it for public consumption. Anyone can edit this, so I would recommend that you copy it and use that one instead of the one being linked here.

Enjoy: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tZZNRckARZb12G7MQ9qSK9QnYtnLN6m4lDBUzIqEFBM/edit?usp=sharing

Edit to add:

Do not fill out any values that are colored in. Only put numbers in the uncolored (white) boxes. The colored fields have formulas in them to auto fill.

Hey, that's great man! I downloaded it just to do something while I wait.

I might make several copies, each being 20 point increments to try to balance between combat and non-combat skills

I think the first 20 points should be 75% non-combat, next 50%, then 25% then if I didn't die yet and I'm no longer struggling to survive I will use the rest of my points to make a theme (class) to my character.

I know I know, its just how I roll. :)

Hey, that's great man! I downloaded it just to do something while I wait.

I might make several copies, each being 20 point increments to try to balance between combat and non-combat skills

I think the first 20 points should be 75% non-combat, next 50%, then 25% then if I didn't die yet and I'm no longer struggling to survive I will use the rest of my points to make a theme (class) to my character.

I know I know, its just how I roll. :)

my plan is to go like this:

"Uhh I got points... thats so cool, and thats coll too and awwww points allready emty....."

my plan is to go like this:

"Uhh I got points... thats so cool, and thats coll too and awwww points allready emty....."

Oh, you want the truth then? It will be like this for me:

"Oh cool, points! Let me just open up my spreadsheets with the circles and arrows... OMG! something killed my character while I was making my clever plans!!" :)

Archived