Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Id like to throw something into the Hunter/ Builder discussion. I think those terms are being painted VERY narrowly and to the extremes of both play styles.

There is an HUGE amount of hybrid possibilities that the VAST majority of player fall into. I consider this game a building game with zombies. That speaks more to my play style and focus than the game itself. Yet when I think of a horde night when I have to do nothing and the base does everything I would be bored to death.

I build my base to protect me while I fight from within its walls. I use horizontal poles to keep them back and give space to shoot through. I use electric fence to keep them still enough to shoot reasonably. And if all that fails (If I fail) I will turn the turrets on and 'clean up' then do it all again.

SO even though I would easily classify myself as a builder, what has been presented here as a builder making a participation free base is completely foreign to me.

That's one of the issues most of our players ran into. They hit max level, have a solid base, they can craft everything they need. Suddenly they don't know what to do with themselves because they roflstomp everything now. We've even had some spend hordenight outside in the dark, with a machete for some form of challenge.

Somewhere after Steel the game gets a lot easier. (40-80th level.) Then most just stockpile and build until lvl200.

I know first thing I do is sell all weapons and parts(except Sniper) to get coin to buy a machete blade or full machete and usually craft one at about 20th lvl @150quality and then even on the hardest servers melee and survival is good from there on.

I know its still alpha but a smoother balance from 0 to 200 instead of 0 to 40 would help keep players from being bored so quickly on second play through.

(Then again we are talking about those experts who have played through to 200 about 10-20 times already.)

Quests should help some, and the new buff system will be interesting to work into things.

Somewhere after Steel the game gets a lot easier. (40-80th level.) Then most just stockpile and build until lvl200.

I know first thing I do is sell all weapons and parts(except Sniper) to get coin to buy a machete blade or full machete and usually craft one at about 20th lvl @150quality and then even on the hardest servers melee and survival is good from there on.

I know its still alpha but a smoother balance from 0 to 200 instead of 0 to 40 would help keep players from being bored so quickly on second play through.

(Then again we are talking about those experts who have played through to 200 about 10-20 times already.)

Quests should help some, and the new buff system will be interesting to work into things.

I just never use the trader for anything. Scrap or smelt whatever I don't want/need. I've noticed it is a bit too easy using the trader. It seems to make the game last that much longer in general.

Definitely NOT happening in the month of September and most likely NOT the first weekend of October and probably NOT the second weekend of October and maybe NOT the third weekend of October. And beyond that-- who knows?

It's NOT done when it's NOT done...?

Big thanks

That allows me to plan

May i ask the same again, was perfect last time, sadly SCUM cant hold me longer for the moment, so i will buy a other game as gape filler. Or is it now too hard to be sure that it needs longer than a week ?

You're making it sound like building a base to prevent having to face a horde is some kind of deep mystery to be solved and those who can accomplish it are masters of their craft.

There are probably MORE Players who use indestructible base setups then don't at this point.

I wonder when people are going to just embrace the fact that horde nights are not intended to be 100 percent cheesed. I know people want to make these crazy bases to try to overcome the horde, but this has never been that style of game. There were shades of it, but it was never going to be the greatest tower defense game out there, and the second diggers and the AI were improved and worked on you had to know that the main focus is now zombie trying to kill you and you reting to see how long you can stay alive.

Prior preparation prevents piss poor performance.

I know the current system can easily be cheesed but with rebalancing being done as we speak now is the time to prevent future cheese.

If someone has a fighter build then by all means let them fight, what I'm advocating is making the specializations mean something. If someone has put perk points into fighting they really shoudn't have the time or resources to build a very secure base. Conversely, if someone has put perk points into construction then the construction should be their main form of defence without actually having to use their poor combat skills very much.

It'll be a hard balance to get right but having the ability to specialize in different play styles adds more to the game than it takes away.

May i ask the same again, was perfect last time, sadly SCUM cant hold me longer for the moment, so i will buy a other game as gape filler. Or is it now too hard to be sure that it needs longer than a week ?

Roland said he would announce the Stream event at the beginning of the week before release. So definitly not this week.

If you want another game, may I suggest Kenshi. It's a squad based survival game.

Geeze, what's with all the people whining about a SURVIVAL game making them have to, you know, survive? This game is Naked & Afraid, zombie edition, not "survivor: hawaii" come on.

The servers I play on are well into day 6000, closing in on day 7000. I cannot tell you how many bases there are that pretty much defend themselves. Spikes, Blade Traps, Turrets, electric Fences. A good bit of those players just piddle around getting off a couple shots for the xp, but they don't have to panic or worry cause the base does it all. And I will tell you this, those players are typically the most bored ones on the server. The excitement and the rush of trying not to die is gone when you have a solid self sustaining base.

That's one of the issues most of our players ran into. They hit max level, have a solid base, they can craft everything they need. Suddenly they don't know what to do with themselves because they roflstomp everything now. We've even had some spend hordenight outside in the dark, with a machete for some form of challenge.

I've had a solid base, and I've had bases that started to fail. I'll tell you that I enjoyed freaking out nd defending my base as it collapsed bit by bit, more than I enjoyed just walking around on my walls shooting zombies as they were being wrecked by my defenses.

Everyone has their own play style for sure, and can play however method brings them joy, but a good many people need more of a challenge, especially at "end game" levels, when you run out of things to do. However, if you merely want to "survivor: hawaii" then you can just turn off zombies, or go play Roblox, Minecraft, or Trove.

Personally I enjoy playing on servers with 15+ people, and spending horde nights at different bases. :)

Also, if your frames are less than 0, then you likely need some new hardware. 3D games like this are demanding. Go fry that potato and get a real machine. (My pc plays alright I've had it for 5 years, got it from BestBuy, but I have to play on lowest graphic render, I don't experience too much lag or FPS drops like that. now if I crank it to ultra my machine freaks the F out. lol)

The answer is to start over. Why anyone would want to play to Day 6000 when they built their impregnable base, crafted their impregnable armor, and maxed out their ultimate gear by Day 100 is beyond me. On top of that, complaining that there isn't anything to do and the game is boring but still putzing around at the top of the progression ladder just to see the day marker hit 7000 is beyond ridiculous. Do these people loathe the journey of becoming vulnerable to invulnerable so much that they will sit in their bases and take the occasional shot at zombies for 1000's of game days? Day 1 - Day 100 is infinitely more enjoyable (I have to believe) than Day 1000 to Day 7000. That is 70 interesting games of progressing and exploring and gaining power you could have played instead of one long game where you already have everything.

If they found enjoyment in having zero threats, zero challenges, and zero risk maybe I would see their point in playing for so long after reaching the top. But they are actually complaining about the boredom. And before anyone says that it is TFP's responsibility to add more endgame content. I'm sorry, but it is too much to be expected for them to entertain people to Day 7000. Reasonably, TFP might be able to add content to keep things challenging and fun through Day 300 but we all know that even if they made things a blast to Day 500 or even Day 1000 there are going to be people who claim that there is no good endgame content because they play to Day 7000.

Start over!

Day 7000, hard code an invincible zombie that always runs to the players and never despawns either. See how long you can stay away before dying that then has a code that after 7000 that if you die to this specified zombie, delete profile, delete save file, restart if dedicated server. So then players even have to help each other, cause if one dies, boom, whole server restart, hehe. There's your end game for you.

Prior preparation prevents piss poor performance.

I know the current system can easily be cheesed but with rebalancing being done as we speak now is the time to prevent future cheese.

If someone has a fighter build then by all means let them fight, what I'm advocating is making the specializations mean something. If someone has put perk points into fighting they really shoudn't have the time or resources to build a very secure base. Conversely, if someone has put perk points into construction then the construction should be their main form of defence without actually having to use their poor combat skills very much.

It'll be a hard balance to get right but having the ability to specialize in different play styles adds more to the game than it takes away.

There isn't really anything that people are poor at in this game. The perks are bonuses for the most part. You can melee and shoot zombies without spending a single perk and do it pretty effectively. Someone who spent perks on construction and spent time on building all week can also actively defend and make a difference.

There will be a period of adaptation where old assumptions and designs will not work effectively as they did. The developers are against game mechanics that encourage AFK "playing" of the game. Of course, players are always going to be able to overcome the AI and the threats and I have no doubt new ways of being so safe will be found that you can go watch an episode of your current binge show during horde night and just let your base protect you. But it will be tougher to acheive that than before (and it won't be by just adding a few more rings of spikes) and when you come back after your show is over you may find yourself staring at the respawn screen and your base is a pile of rubble.

At least at first...until you adapt.

I modded my game to roll end credits after completing the starter quest. I’ve finished the game many many times and also played through the bonus content quite a bit.

You "Finish" books by reading the last chapter too? :)

Good for cocktail conversations, when they ask a more probing question on the book you "have" to refresh your drink. Never to return to them... :)

That's just factually inaccurate. The zombie behavior that has been changes is NOT changed only for horde night. it is changed for EVERY day and time of day. The tracking is ALWAYS better, the instruction to go destroy blocks nearby if they cannot reach you is ALWAYS active. There being more zombies wandering in the wild and not only sleepers is ALWAYS in effect, not only on horde night. Etc, etc, etc. Actually I'd like to hear from you just what portion of the changes made you think apply only to horde night. I'm curious.

Most of that has no effect on day to day play. Where did you hear there are more wandering zombies in A17e?

What's the level cap for Alpha 17? Because with all the perks I really hope it's possible to get them all. If so, will we be able to edit the XML?

Currently last known, none. But it will take 6 months in game to max out is what was stated. A couple weeks ingame for 20 levels by what Roland was saying. And yes, the XML will be editable. Even add your own perks and all too.

Currently last known, none. But it will take 6 months in game to max out is what was stated. A couple weeks ingame for 20 levels by what Roland was saying. And yes, the XML will be editable. Even add your own perks and all too.

The better answer is that the devs have not decided whether or not there will be a level cap and if so at what level. Not too long ago, the max amount of points was 205-ish and you could not max everything by design (ps this horse has been beaten to death in this thread, no need to revisit it). Recently madmole stated they were considering having no level cap (or a very high one) but it taking “6 months” to reach max level and unlock everything. I would not put too much stock in this statement. As it’s merely something under consideration and 6 months is an arbitrary number not actually tied to the actual implantation of such a feature.

I'm not sure what you meant, but A16 has no end. There are no coherent quest chains, so there is nothing to play through except for the starter quest set.

So, no one has "finished" A16.4

Ich hatte vor X Seiten gelesen das jemand schrieb er habe 16.4 durchgespielt. Wir haben bis Tag 200+ gespielt . Ich dachte ich habe das Ende verpasst . :-)

Archived