Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I wouldn't, it would mean the balancing is borked. If your tower cannot defend against a horde then the tower defence aspect of the game is broken, not improved.

**Minus that the game will need to be tweak or balance all the way up to full release..

I disagree.

If they find the majority of players needing to dial the game to the default settings, then I would call it a win.

If they find the majority of players needing to go under the default, then maybe it would needing adjusting.

In all actuality, it really comes down to: How hard TFP want to make their default game.

Having a minority of the ppl needing (or wanting) to go below the default at first, isn't necessarily a detriment or a indication the overall balance is broken.

There are two difficulty levels below default that can be selected. I think it would be great to hear that many will have needed to turn the difficulty down a level or two after it releases.

I'm too stubborn to turn it down, if they kill me I'm bringing them with me! *surrounds himself with gas barrels stocks up on dynamite and rockets* :twitch:

Just because zombies are a little better at their job doesn't mean the game is significantly harder.

In fact 99% of the game is not horde night and as far as that is concerned that has not been tweaked that much in making (non-horde) zombies better at killing you.

The game used to be hard but in the last 5-6 alphas its been toned down to where zombies (and overall difficulty) are a joke.

**Minus that the game will need to be tweak or balance all the way up to full release..

I disagree.

If they find the majority of players needing to dial the game to the default settings, then I would call it a win.

If they find the majority of players needing to go under the default, then maybe it would needing adjusting.

In all actuality, it really comes down to: How hard TFP want to make their default game.

Having a minority of the ppl needing (or wanting) to go below the default at first, isn't necessarily a detriment or a indication the overall balance is broken.

Roland's original post said "many" people having to lower the difficulty level, not a minority. If many people are having difficulty on the default setting it's the balance that is borked, not the people.

It's true that balancing will continue through beta and possibly even a few gold updates but the default setting should be adequate for most people.

I find it amusing Joel is giving advice on Twitter about how to play the game when he's admitted himself he's a total amateur at the game and only recently started playing it after a year hiatis. Even then, I stopped playing for a year wasn't nearly as bad as he was in his vids.

P.S. does anyone else find it strange that

Joel is as bad at a game he created?

Naw, he's playing to show stuff off, not playing to beat the game.

That video will come closer to release.

I find it amusing Joel is giving advice on Twitter about how to play the game when he's admitted himself he's a total amateur at the game and only recently started playing it after a year hiatis. Even then, I stopped playing for a year wasn't nearly as bad as he was in his vids.

P.S. does anyone else find it strange that

Joel is as bad at a game he created?

I think it’s amusing that you think time somehow stopped after that video more than a month ago. Joel has been playing daily for the last two weeks or so and has certainly caught his stride and with what he is experiencing playing A17 I don’t find it the least bit strange that he would be able to give gameplay advice regarding the new normal today.

My gameplay advice based on my recent play is to secure food and water first thing. Ignoring those things to do other things will spell your death. Now I’m not nationally ranked in any video game so you’ll have to take my advice with a grain of salt....

Roland's original post said "many" people having to lower the difficulty level, not a minority. If many people are having difficulty on the default setting it's the balance that is borked, not the people.

It's true that balancing will continue through beta and possibly even a few gold updates but the default setting should be adequate for most people.

Or maybe the new normal is a well balanced but tougher game where new players will need to start on easy and progress to standard difficulty. A tough game can be well balanced and with all the new dynamics I suggest that some veterans may find they are having a hard time. Now if blaming balance is necessary to protect gamer egos I get that. I actually suggested making Adventurer the new default precisely because the game is tougher now and I knew gamers wouldn’t like to have to turn it down a notch. Calling Adventurer level the default would save us from a lot of knee jerk “balance!” complaints..lol

@Roland,

How is melee combat, is it hard?

I think that you guys removed stunning preventing zeds from attacking or something?

Also, why did you guys remove smell? I get it wasn't working perfectly but it was one more factor in game difficulty.

Not after you get used to it.

Smell might make a return. I was disappointed to get that news as well and hopefully they will look at it again. With the new buff system it should be possible to mod smell in as a basic buff so maybe if it becomes an overwhelmingly popular buff in mods TFP will change their minds.

With the new buff system it should be possible to mod smell in as a basic buff

I don't suppose you have any details on this?

One of my basic "asks" as a (wanna-be) modder is to be able to hook into NPC/enemy AI, so that e.g. zombies would have a greater or lesser likelihood of noticing you. That's basically what smell did, so if it's possible to mod that in, I'd be pretty happy.

Sorry, I've just never viewed 'many' as meaning the 'majority'.:friendly_wink:

again I also don't think it necessarily means the system is broken or out of balance.

Sorry, I've just never viewed 'many' as meaning the 'majority'.:friendly_wink:

again I also don't think it necessarily means the system is broken or out of balance.

Third entry, second definition. It's the American dictionary but it still counts :-)

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/many

Balance and difficulty are inextricably linked, I'd say the default difficulty should offer new players a challenge but not be so difficult as to be disheartening. You'll just be making people rage-quit for no good reason, if that's the case the default difficulty should be lowered.

My gameplay advice based on my recent play is to secure food and water first thing. Ignoring those things to do other things will spell your death. Now I’m not nationally ranked in any video game so you’ll have to take my advice with a grain of salt....

surely you are in the top 100 for 7dtd a17e...

I don't suppose you have any details on this?

One of my basic "asks" as a (wanna-be) modder is to be able to hook into NPC/enemy AI, so that e.g. zombies would have a greater or lesser likelihood of noticing you. That's basically what smell did, so if it's possible to mod that in, I'd be pretty happy.

Oooh my turn for a speculative post!!! I think noticeability is tied to how "bright" you are to the zombies, which is why in 16.4 you were basically invisible at night and with NVGs you were god. Probably a way to turn that down in the XMLs so you can be more or less noticeable. Also, I think MM disclosed a little of that with a stealth perk you can buy. If it is tied to something like that couldn't you give smelly items a buff that increases your brightness to make you more noticeable. Not exactly smell, and not sure if it would work out of line of sight, but eh.

Third entry, second definition. It's the American dictionary but it still counts :-)

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/many

:numbness:

'Many' does not mean 'Majority' nor is it defined as such.

If you refer to a group as "The many" then it does refer to the 'Majority'.

So where in Rolands post does he refer to "The many"? because I only see him refer to 'many'.

There is a difference.

Allow yourself 3 lives instead of going straight to Dead is Dead... ;)

Fataal, MM, o Ronald some questions

1 * It is very difficult to add scorpions in the biomes of deserts?

2 * Is it very difficult for the wasp to return and that we can see it in some biomes? without losing the vulture?

3 * Polar bears and white wolves in snow biome?

Fataal, MM, o Ronald some questions

1 * It is very difficult to add scorpions in the biomes of deserts?

2 * Is it very difficult for the wasp to return and that we can see it in some biomes? without losing the vulture?

3 * Polar bears and white wolves in snow biome?

No, no, no.

:numbness:

'Many' does not mean 'Majority' nor is it defined as such.

If you refer to a group as "The many" then it does refer to the 'Majority'.

So where in Rolands post does he refer to "The many"? because I only see him refer to 'many'.

There is a difference.

Guys guys. I’m right here. My post is not some ancient text that you must analyze using outside reference sources in order to figure out original intent. Just ask.

Archived