Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I think I've come up with a base idea that no zombie could breach... anxious to get into A17 to test my strategy out!

Build a tunnel down, across, then back up halfway to the surface. Remove the ladder on that last tunnel up. They will take the path of least resistance and go down your first tunnel, but still mill about below you.

I know people like to speculate, as do I, but ultimately once the new version is released we will definitely discover new ways to avoid zombies. Also, I'm pretty confident that in A17 you'll still be able to settle on the roof of any average chain store (crack a book,working stiffs, etc), build a rim of frames along the sides to avoid spiders, and be safe from zombies for weeks and weeks.

Designing a defense against a claw attack would be entirely different than designing a defense against an RPG attack, a grenade attack, sniper fire attack, Etc.

Sure, but your point seems to have been that zombie defense underground is nearly the same as on the surface, hence boring. Now defense against bandits will be different, but likewise nearly the same above and below ground. And that is why Snowdog1942 was asking why the same criticism you applied to zombies underground doesn't also apply to bandits underground?

Since we're going to start using Woody Harrelson rules, we might as well include Natural Born Killers and talk about how a man needs a little variety.

If TPF does it right, bandits will be a nice feature. I hope for nerdpoling and door opening. RPG and grenade are just massive damage attacks that could be done by zombies (see cop explosions) as well and just lead to massively boring repair work. And sniper is not very different from a cop spit. I don't see the "entirely different" with this approach

My desire is to find a new base build on the surface and be able to fight the zombies on horde night. It is one of the major reasons I play this game. My first love is to build a base on the surface, but then fight on the ground level in that base against the horde. I only turn on the turrets when it gets too heavy, but otherwise do all the fighting myself with an AK, Shotgun and electric fence.

My desire to build something where my participation in horde night is 0......is 0.

All my opinion, but wanting to throw it out there with all the discussion about the best bases to avoid hordes. I, for one, do not want to avoid them and it feels like that voice is being lost in all the underground talk.

@meg

The point is to have a variety of challenges, not just the same challenge over and over again.

If I had my way, and I will through modding, each biome will present its own unique challenge, like we did in medieval mod.

Building increasingly thicker walls isn't fun for me. I want to think. Out smart. Maneuver. Plan ahead.

I get that, my point rather is that changing the skill system to a perk system to avoid min-maxing just leads to other kinds of possibilities for min-maxing. With perks (vs level by doing) there is new path of least resistance and set of perks that you "must" take first to play optimally.

Don't forget that the system might have been changed for more than one reason or even because someone just didn't like how it turned out.

"must take first" perks can usually be avoided with good balancing. There still may be "must take first" perks for your playstyle, but nobody will feel disadvantaged on a server because they took different perks.

Also, I'm pretty confident that in A17 you'll still be able to settle on the roof of any average chain store (crack a book,working stiffs, etc), build a rim of frames along the sides to avoid spiders, and be safe from zombies for weeks and weeks.

Please post a video on youtube, always fun to gloat. :cocksure:

So having to design underground bases or tunnels to have defenses against zombies is not different than on the surface, but design underground bases to have defenses against bandits is?

Zombies now take the path of least resistance, so they will follow tunnels as well if they find them. The only way I can think of how bandits will be more effective is (besides more of them being ranged attackers) because they can open doors and (hopefully) nerd pole to anywhere. Only the former will be important in the underground and I suspect similar defenses against bandits on the surface can and will have to be used in the underground as well.

If bandits don't have a reason to attack a well armed survivor in his stronghold where presumably several of there group could die, then the game will feel a bit too caustic. It doesn't have to be a good reason (you didn't pay their "protection" fee), just any reason would be good enough.

But mods right?

If bandits don't have a reason to attack a well armed survivor in his stronghold where presumably several of there group could die, then the game will feel a bit too caustic. It doesn't have to be a good reason (you didn't pay their "protection" fee), just any reason would be good enough.

But mods right?

I wasn't talking about bandit motivations at all so I suspect you misinterpreted my post (which is understandable only in context to the previous discussion anyway).

But yes, finding reasons for bandits is easy and all start with "gree" :smile-new:. And after you killed a bandit, his brother has revenge as a motivation multiplier.

Build a tunnel down, across, then back up halfway to the surface. Remove the ladder on that last tunnel up. They will take the path of least resistance and go down your first tunnel, but still mill about below you.

There wouldn't be a path to you though. You would need to stay down at bedrock and wait until they were close and THEN nerd pole up to safety. That might take care of most of the first wave, but after that, it could get bad... :)

To truly be save without vehicles ("mostly" safe if you use a pre-cleared highway) you need you use exploits with the system chunk loading limitations. Basically "unload" you enemies. But that's no fun.

So, on the start of horde night, you are over 40 meters away from the nearest exit walking away from it, at bedrock. You just keep walking if your tunnel is long enough, or take a brief time out to start a raised side tunnel or mine ores.

Have raised side tunnels where you can escape if something goes terribly wrong.

No sir. It is not an underground base. Definitely not something that can be done in the first 7 days... maybe by day 21, but doubtful.

The great thing about digging zombies, free labor! If you want to dig a deep hole somewhere, just tunnel down and sit in the spot you want your hole to he on horde night and there you go. Big gaping hole in no time!... just follow rule #2 of zombieland and you'll be fine. Who would have thought zombies would be so helpful in the apocalypse?

The great thing about digging zombies, free labor! If you want to dig a deep hole somewhere, just tunnel down and sit in the spot you want your hole to he on horde night and there you go. Big gaping hole in no time!... just follow rule #2 of zombieland and you'll be fine. Who would have thought zombies would be so helpful in the apocalypse?

That is true and you don't even have to sit there! Make 5 or 6 forges and just let them run.

uhh... words....

Could we have large underground caverns in certain biomes slowly fill with water to the water table level?

We could then have a powered object that prevents this in an area to add additional challenge for the mole's among us. This object could also output dirty water. Being able to dig a functional well would be cool af in my humble opinion.

Spitballs away!

I have been curious:

Does anyone else think that the Jeep will be hard to maneuver off road? Faatal said it is 2 blocks wide and that is not a lot, but I think about traveling through the woods on my minibike and how many spaces I squeeze through and barely zig or zag around.

For that reason I am most looking forward to the Motorcycle, but will definitely make a Jeep and test it out.

@ald

If the down shaft is close enough, they will choose it as the path of least resistance.

Hehe, we will all be surprised about a few things in A17 I think. :)

I will be sad if I die in the first week though:

See the light of day 8 - mild satisfaction.

See the light of day 21 - nicely satisfied.

See my zero deaths, maxed out player on first try?? Priceless! As I will never stop telling people how I smacked A17 around like a boss! :)

Archived