Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

This.

(Am I playing right?)

If your not playing "Dead is Dead" then you have obviously not played it right. This is an official poll done at Al's Marina and Game Masters Workshop. Sorry, official polls can not be rescinded, so sayeth the Zombie Bear committee on gaming excellence.

...now, obviously, tfp not only didn't want underground safety, they wanted zombies to be the underground threat... No one is arguing that.

I'm saying there are more creative ways to "put the pressure on" that isn't as linear as simply fighting zombies. All. Of. The. Time.

It gets old.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you on this 100%.

I don't want to be fighting zombies all the time either, but sometimes I do want that "back against the wall, nowhere to run, nowhere to hide, fight off the horde to survive" feeling, and I get that from the blood moon horde night. And, since that is the main mechanic the game is based on, and currently there is no better solution to implement in time for the release of A17, I'll gladly take digging zombies to give me that "nowhere to run, nowhere to hide" feeling again.

Do I want better mechanics to give me that same feeling by other means than zombies? Absolutely! Overall I want more complexity in building, trap crafting, hazards and surviving, that's why I'm all for a ventilation mechanic for underground dwelling. But no matter what they come up with, I'm afraid there will always be a way to cheese the blood moon horde. I hope I'm wrong though.

I guess I remember a time when imaginations were running wild and the possibilities were endless...

It honestly sounds like some of you have given up. Rather, given into the "just get it released" mentality.

- - - Updated - - -

This.

Like you said, they are leaving it up to the individual by opening the door for modders to create what THEY want. At its core it is a zombie game, although some here seem to give the impression that a zombie survival game is NOT what they are looking for. Which hey, more power to you on that side of the fence. Again, modding.

But to enhance and enrich the main focus of what the game is supposed to be about isnt people asking for it to be wrapped, it is knowing when to say when. Of course we want better water, and yes fishing and underground gases and more mining and minerals would be most welcome. But the most important aspect here is to make sure the AI, the enemy ai, is up to par and provides a challenge.

What i do NOT ever want to see (in vanilla) are mutants, more radiateds, zombie animals etc. Those are niche enemy types and most can be used to create a false sense of enemy progression. Again mods. Perfect for that. Lava at bedrock? I don't know for me it doesn't interest me. If it is possible then that is great because it can give people choices, but as part of vanilla? I don't see it as a necessity.

First and foremost zombies NEED to be a threat at all times, not a joke. A good developer does not develop for those who want to circumvent game mechanics. If they wish to allow people some down time, then it can be an option but only after achieving it through in game work and sweat, not because you dig down a few blocks.

Now before it sounds like I'm disagreeing with you, I'm not. I once had dreams of food expiration, storms that could destroy bases like tornadoes, floods, earthquakes, brush fires. I've given up on those dreams. You and I have been here long enough Gup. And we see how and what has changed over the years. We BOTH know those types of threats are never going to be a priority. So maybe it IS giving up. But only because the writing is on the wall with those types of features.

There was a time when they said diggers were not going to happen as well. Feature creep can be crippling to a games success. At this point I think enabling us to create those things is more than fair. How many more times do we need a sweeping new alpha to come in and basically change the entire infrastructure?

Killin' time, waitin' for The Pimps to drop A17 and another lotta' pimps - Game Society, "remastered" their entire Season 1 of 7DTD into a single, almost 8hr clip lol. Ah, the memories of what appears to be....A...7?! This shall keep me distracted for...well, at least 7hrs.

It doesn't sound quite right.

We want you to build your character the way you want, without limitations - but: Rule #1, Cardio.

The path of least resistance has shifted to perks.

Well, you would need a good cardio if things went south on horde night and you didn't have access to a motorized vehicle.

Mine are:

Rule #1: Plan well, fight well or die well. :)

Rule #2: Nope.

I get that, my point rather is that changing the skill system to a perk system to avoid min-maxing just leads to other kinds of possibilities for min-maxing. With perks (vs level by doing) there is new path of least resistance and set of perks that you "must" take first to play optimally.

Those of us who want there to be safe places to hole up and don't want to be fighting zombies aren't wanting there to be no danger or no zombies. What we are wanting is for avoiding zombies to be part of the gameplay. We want zombies to be there, but we want to be able to hide from them rather than just fighting them. Like the option of fighting zombies, we want avoiding them and hiding from them to be exciting with elements of danger.

Well stated. Thank you.

i belive, it is that way in a17

according to crumbs i picked (licked):rapture:

It may be but it will also come with the "horde can find you anywhere you are no matter what" horde night.

Gamida

"I would like to have it so the danger was greater the closer you are to a city. I mean if I make a base in the middle of nowhere then there shouldn't be that big of a threat, even on horde night."

No, because it would not just be mindless clawing and digging, thus requring different defenses, thus creating a different gameplay experience.

So having to design underground bases or tunnels to have defenses against zombies is not different than on the surface, but design underground bases to have defenses against bandits is?

Zombies now take the path of least resistance, so they will follow tunnels as well if they find them. The only way I can think of how bandits will be more effective is (besides more of them being ranged attackers) because they can open doors and (hopefully) nerd pole to anywhere. Only the former will be important in the underground and I suspect similar defenses against bandits on the surface can and will have to be used in the underground as well.

Archived