Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Doesn't mean it is, either. Plenty of zombie games where the zombies just keep coming... *yawn*

...and thinking that digging zombies couldn't be gamed easily is foolish. Ald did it in one post and he's never even played a17.

I think your key words there are "he's never even played a17"

Also, even if it is possible I dont plan to game them, I like the challenge that is intended. Just like how I currently dont use stilt bases above ground.

lol you're the one whining about zombies.

I never whined about zombies. You're the only one who whines here.

Better read before replying someone with some crap.

I'm still not sure if it's a good idea but here are some more ideas:

Each day without a death = 1 point.

Killing each 7 day horde boss = 1 point.

Each 100 non-boss kills = 1 point.

Each quest thread completed = 1-3 points depending on length and difficulty.

Something like that.

I was just discussion this suggestion, and unlike you, Aldranon didn't say to go and play some crap.

So for a different topic... :)

How about if reinforced concrete blocks didn't degrade back to concrete blocks, but instead degraded into rebar with say 1500 hps.

But, add in ability to shoot through the rebar.

Subtle change but anyone whos ever busted up reinforced concrete can tell you the rebar is the real pain.

Doesn't mean it is, either. Plenty of zombie games where the zombies just keep coming... *yawn*

...and thinking that digging zombies couldn't be gamed easily is foolish. Ald did it in one post and he's never even played a17.

Well, was it A10 or A11 where the zombies briefly dug? I called them my "Excavation Teams" as they cleared away the top soil so I can dig up the good stuff. :)

And so I will do again, I will guild my teams slowly along. Oh, I will pay them, as I'm a fair employer. They just need to give me three pieces of identification and current tax documentation.

I appreciate we're given options and modding capabilities. I've played this game in countless ways because of it.

When I'm in the mood to build and relax I shut off z-spawns and crank animals up for a me-vs-wilderness experience. I love this.

Just another plus in my book to add to the already high replay value.

Has anyone discussed how the gyrocopter is going to function in its entirety? How is this going to affect pvp/raid servers? Will you be able to just fly on top of peoples' bases? What's the max "altitude" you can fly at? Can you just jump out of the copter mid flight or what? Any info on how this affects raid servers would be appreciated.

265m is approximate max ceiling.

You can jump out in flight, but your gryo will still continue to move at a reduced speed, eventually falling to the ground.

I think your key words there are "he's never even played a17"

Also, even if it is possible I dont plan to game them, I like the challenge that is intended. Just like how I currently dont use stilt bases above ground.

Unless you're standing still not doing anything, letting them eat you, anything you do to defend against them is gaming them.

I'm the player, it's not my job to make it difficult.

Unless you're standing still not doing anything, letting them eat you, anything you do to defend against them is gaming them.

I'm the player, it's not my job to make it difficult.

By your definition anything is gaming them.. so if we go by that definition.. I guess I rather enjoy gaming them.. I just don't enjoy using unintended ways around the AI like the current stilt base. I plan to do the same underground, gaming, but not by some method that some would argue is an exploit.

Problem is, if the ONLY threat we have is zombies and their ability to find you and reach you anywhere in the game, then that makes what was once a multi dimensional game into a one dimensional game, and that's a detriment to all, even if a select few can't understand that.

Pimps can always code zombies that always find and reach you, teleport to you, dig, fly, whatever, OR, they could include other threats that would add more depth and require varying styles of challenging gameplay, and I personally choose the latter (that's the 2nd one, to the reading challenged).

Digging zombies are the path of least resistance and are certainly the obvious solution to a particularly narrow minded way of thinking about zombie games, but I (and others) had high hopes THIS game would live up to its potential and be a true survival game, not JUST a zombie survival game.

Luckily, they're including the modability to do that, and for that, I am grateful.

Thing is, it is a zombie game. This is more than a philosophical question of identity. How many lines of code are in support of making gameplay versus zombies functional and fun? It affects virtually every system - not just AI, but weapons, traps, heat, stealth, vehicles, skills & perks... I don’t see using zombies as an underground threat as unimaginative. I see it as leveraging the most developed element of the game, instead of tacking on something less connected, less integrated with other systems.

You yawn, but as someone pointed out, many of the alternatives proposed wouldn’t be as actively, recurrently engaging as zombies. They’d be one-time obstacles you run into while first digging, or things requiring maintenance gameplay as exciting as ‘top off your generator.’

I think we’re in agreement that something is better than nothing. But compared to zombies, the alternatives to me are like fishing or trains. They’re suggested often and yeah, I guess they could be cool, but at the same time they’d feel like the game is losing focus.

Archived