Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Can Rocket Launchers have a Heat Seeking feature to combat Gyrocopters?

Also, can we have Rocket Launcher Turrets, that act as Anti Air? ... to combat Gyrocopters?

Whats wrong with a good old fashioned well placed shot? You can't shoot a gun while driving a vehicle so its not like that guy in the sky is causing problems for anyone.

As much as I love the other perks, (I am personally a bow and pistol user, with an affinity for food and meds) I find myself thinking I'll be spending my first 10 points in the Intelligence general stat, just so I can benefit from the increased experience gain from the get go, but that's me.

After giving it some thought I've removed XP bonus from INT. You can craft faster and higher quality items with more INT. There will still be consumables that give you a short duration XP boost, but we don't want min maxer delight.

Actually, he did add an extension to his garage so yeah, construction was also in his skill set.

I know true realism is boring but there's a huge difference between cross-training skill sets and just randomly learning a completely different skill than what you have been putting effort into.

Shooting any type of ranged weapon should add to your ability to shoot, not your abilities as a bricklayer.

I seem to be replying to you a lot :p

just to hammer down the point:

You should see the guy that helped me renovate my kitchen.

He paints (and I mean proper - I can comb my damn hair in the paintjob he did on my shutters - and them be OLD wood), he renovates kitchens, he build complete sheds (no ♥♥♥♥ty prefab, but solid hand made work on the basis of a drawing on the back of a piece of paper), he does plumbing - he has old John Deere (?) tractors as a hobby so he must have decent mechanical skills that way. Knows his basisc electricity as well. He grows his own food in his 'backyard' and does some animal husbandry. I know he has some welding and cutting apparatus as well and you should see the stuff he does with just a multitool.

I'm don;t think he's touched a book since he left trade school early, i'mnot sure about shooting and he'd run for ♥♥♥♥ as his knee is ♥♥♥♥ed up - but I can totally see him crafting his way out of the zombie apocalype. Hell i'll probably go over to his place and see what we can work up together when it does come...

Just to say: there's people with widely diverse practical skills and it wouldn't be too weird to have a lot of relevant ones (though skyscapers is pushing it a bit).

me: I could explain law to a horde of zombies...not sure that's gonna do a lot of good - but maybe if we got a tiny village back together there'd be use for that kinda skill (you know to prevent the ♥♥♥♥ed up walking dead scenarios). And I'm sure I'd could get of one killer shot throwing the (law)book at one (or anything else - used to pitch in high school) and maybe rig up some Domoticz automation to the ♥♥♥♥ he rigged up (including a solar panel or two). - Just to say that you wouldn't expect everybody to be able to either - but they are out there (meaning him, not me)

After giving it some thought I've removed XP bonus from INT. You can craft faster and higher quality items with more INT. There will still be consumables that give you a short duration XP boost, but we don't want min maxer delight.

I think this is the right decision. I also wasn't particularly fond of intelligence giving additional xp :)

Cool! It just seemed a little off having xp gain as a permanent perk.

boosting xp will raise your game stage faster, I am assuming, bringing on tougher hordes etc quicker, perhaps faster than you would want in terms of getting ready for it (resource gathering , building a base...)

I am picking that not boosting it is would be better for the tower defence types and boosting would be more fun for the 'insane level is too easy' types.

or even don't boost xp if you want a more paced saga of a game and do if you are in a hurry to get to the 'end'. I do play both ways, rushing can be quite exiting as you quite often get caught short and things can get tense, but I also like the grim satisfaction of being safe (ish) in a fortress and smashing the hordes quickly and efficiently. and brutally. and set up humorous ways to wipe them out.

seems to me this is a very nice choice to make the game play the way you want.

personally, I normally have heaps of unspent points, either because the game is going to plan and I haven't finished this part (say making a farm) , or I have found a chainsaw or auger and am going nuts gathering as much resource as I can. often its 'damn ive levelled again - that will makes the zds tougher" rather than "yippee I can max out skill x"

unless it is unlocking the mag 44 round and then it is definitely "yippee!!"

- - - Updated - - -

damn! please read my post from a few minutes ago :-(

... looks like it joined them together.

No more zombie looting is a stupid decision. What's next walking into walls till we find to max out our INT?

Now I no longer have a reason to craft or use up arrows/bolts/bullets or waste stamina using melee attacks against majority of zombies. Since they're now useless and offer nothing besides the occasional CQC encounter in buildings, the 7th day and whatnot.

No more zombie looting is a stupid decision. What's next walking into walls till we find to max out our INT?

Now I no longer have a reason to craft or use up arrows/bolts/bullets or waste stamina using melee attacks against majority of zombies. Since they're now useless and offer nothing besides the occasional CQC encounter in buildings, the 7th day and whatnot.

Agreed. I think they should at least have 30 - 40% of the zombies lootable... and those that don't have loot just decay right off the screen... otherwise, it's not worth killing zombies any longer, and it's really just a building/looting game with tough zombies every 7th day...

No need to be disrespectful calling things "stupid". Anyway, if you weren't to busy have a fit you would realize the purpose of killing zombies is for xp. It is that simple. There are many other ways to acquire loot. It has already been mentioned that zombies will leave some loot behind just not as much as before.

Doing a 5 hour quest for 1 skill point would frustrate most people. It's bad design, in my opinion, in the same lines as making the inventory realistic enough that you have to do 20 trips for a simple task. Having to put a lot of real time into the game for no return just turns it into a chore.

Depends how intresting these quest r.

Yes. Those nice comments plus Fish tacos, M60s, Drugs, hospital prostitution, strippers, hand made avionics... I like where this is going.

He said he would not do that and that he was already planning to make sure there was a visual way to tell the difference between dead and not dead because he felt it was important to know.

It's already been done. A missing head is a "dead" giveaway. Always double-tap.

Easily modable.

Besides them dropping loot like christmas defeats the purpose of looting places.

Ps they still drop loot.

Zombies still give XP, and they still drop loot, even if less frequently. Some zombies you won't be able to avoid, some you will want to avoid. It's a survival game, so it makes sense. Also not sure how you go from zombie looting to "walking into wallks till we find to max out our INT", lol. And what do you mean, no reason to craft ammo? I don't know about you, but I still use bows or such to clear buildings, and to defend the base.

If you look to the right of the SMG you will see a bar graph and a book. In the screenshot the bar graph is selected which brings up the list of stats you can see. If the book was selected instead you would see the description you are wanting.

Of course the biggest question should be about the stat: RoundSperm-In-It!

I should report your post for being a pervert.....oh wait....lol

The wrench is the new Forge Ahead...

I seem to recall a few alphas back that the "Forge Ahead" book was often rarer than hens teeth...If this is the case in A17 then I surrender and will just start my games by suiciding by running naked at the first zed I see and sitting down to save them the hassle of chasing me...

I find it extremly stupid how there is no headshot damage now without a perk for it, and if I heard right it only effects ranged weapons? IMO there should be some headshot mult there, but the perk makes it better, like maybe 3x base, perk can make that 3x into maybe 5-6x. I hope they change their mind on that, In A16 I used to love some of the crazy long range headshots I'd pull off, but in A17 there is no reason not to go for body shots unless you have that perk... Unless zombies don't take full damage from body shots, maybe they take half, and to get a full damage shot you have to head the head?

In the Intel skill video, The barter lv 5 perk should be "has a better chance" to have legendary items, not always has them, as it'll make alot of the game pointless, as everyone would just rush to 10 int, and max the barter perk, you could bypass most of the crafting stuff this way. As a example in A16 I never take the armorcraft perks at all, there is no point, when its easy enough to find high quality armor in the traders. I also never bothered with guncrafting skill in A16, as there is no real need to. I'd probally also mod out the exp gain bonus or severely reduce it, depending on how fast leveling seems to be, can't tell that till I actually play it. The crafting skills are nice, but I'd have prefered alot of that to be from getting books than wasting perk points on.

Intersting in the cooking recipies, and I like the fact you can overstuff yourself, so all that random food we find can be put to use right away insted of eating inventory space.

Check out our new Intellect Attribute and its perks!

@madMole @Roland @Faatal

I'm LOVING the new attributes there is one tweek that may be better to the Intellect Attribute...

Instead of an EXP Gain ... How about a few bonus skill points instead? Or a Random chance to get an Extra skill point on level??

because an EXP GAIN just shortens the time to get to level 200... no real value-add for the effort.

While a chance to get another Skill point on level gain would ADD to the character variety???

even 2% 3% 4% 5% 7% 8% 10% 12% 13% 15% for the tiers would add only a few extra points on the way to 200... allowing a player to luck into more attribute trees without automatically dominating all the trees....?

Thoughts? :)

Also an observation... In the past Joel has been the graphic texture guy... but now he is getting his hands dirty in the xml adjusting zombie behavior!

I think they maybe get up a tad too fast now, but thats far better than them laying there for 6 or 7 seconds.

There is a fair bit of overlap in jobs. The stun changes are code and xml, so Joel did went ahead and did xml part. Whatever you see in a video may change, since a lot of stuff is still being tweaked.

Zombies have a chance to drop loot, but honestly the game is playing fine without meals on wheels bringing you all the junk and food you'll ever need. Now when they drop its something probably pretty good. Now I NEED stuff and have to get off my ass and go get it, which is great for game play. Food is an issue early game now and the more energy I expend the more food I need. Before I could get plenty of canned food from zombies from the fat ones and soccer mom zombie.

Archived