Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

We're talking about no level cap, but it might take 6 months of game play to get to a high enough level to get all the perks. The idea is you can reasonably spec out your character by level 50. It needs a lot of testing yet to see how it all works out.

Send me A17 now MM and I'll get right to testing. On a completely different topic, please accept this brand new 4x4 Jeep filled with shiny shiny Dukes...

The Daring Adventurer, get better rewards for doing quests. The new quest system is definitely what I'm the most interested to see, as I mentioned before.

OH YES. Choosing between two quest rewards is an ingenious way to add decisions to the gameplay. Can't wait to be a donkey between two equally enticing hay bales

Alpha 17 is basically beta, there's probably not going to be an alpha 18 but beta instead, new gun in alpha 18... that is becoming slightly confusing haha.

In retrospect we can assume A17 was 36.5% beta and I'm sure A18 will be at least 66% beta.

After that we might get a beta that is at least 30% gamma and 50% gold. :cocksure:

Just shut youre piehole. .

wow. what an admirable art of aguing. who are you to tell anybody what they may or may not say?

I never said something about "real", I don't see where you get that from.

I talked about the things that I liked better in A16. So I don't see why they have to change a good system into a bad one.

Maybe you could try to stay factual. Have a nice day.

Wow, my word, you've just managed to say something I kind of agree with but in a very objectionable way. Now I kinda hate myself for agreeing.

People just need to learn if they want it there way they need to hit up burger King. Videos games are not the way.

Unless they take the time to learn how to make a game for 100% what they want. But theya re to dam lazy and spoiled for that.

Wow, my word, you've just managed to say something I kind of agree with but in a very objectionable way. Now I kinda hate myself for agreeing.

wow. what an admirable art of aguing. who are you to tell anybody what they may or may not say?

I talked about the things that I liked better in A16. So I don't see why they have to change a good system into a bad one.

In fact you did say you cant just get good at guns rank 3. Im sorry to tell you some people are skilled at things more then others and just. Have a skillset that blows people minds. Lets go shooting in real life i can show you. Or go swimming with phelps

People just need to learn if they want it there way they need to hit up burger King. Videos games are not the way.

Unless they take the time to learn how to make a game for 100% what they want. But theya re to dam lazy and spoiled for that.

*hands X16191 a snickers bar*

Can Rocket Launchers have a Heat Seeking feature to combat Gyrocopters?

Also, can we have Rocket Launcher Turrets, that act as Anti Air? ... to combat Gyrocopters?

I think the last thing they thinking about is pvp.

But that brings up a question.

Can vultures attack your gyrocopter?

That announcement that the gyrocopter is actually making it to a17 made my day. So excited for that. I'm curious if any more work has been done on the multi person aspect of the 4x4 which was originally stated as with the gyrocopter that it wouldnt make it for a17 due to X factors

*hands X16191 a snickers bar*

I like snickers. But the fact remains

First thing: All I write is just my oppinion, I don't claim to be infallible...

Actually I'm very skeptical about the new perk system.

I liked the learning by doing version, in which you develop your skill by using it, because it's logical and "feels" right.

With this perk for points system I just can e.g. raise my skill in guns to 3 without even having touched a gun before.

That makes no sense to me.

What I really don't like (as others wrote before) is the "gain more XP" Perk. It always tends to make games unbalanced.

I agree to many things A Nice Cup of Tea said, especially that gun crafting will be available much to early in the game...

Sure, I will give it a try, but I just don't feel comfortable with this.

Bear in mind that just because you unlock the crafting recipes early does not mean you'll be able to craft the guns early. You'll still need to get all the required materials and crafting stations, which also require recipes. So, sure, you can rush guns, but even then you might not always get them too early due to not finding the materials, and even if you do, you missed out on other perks that might be interesting early. It all depends on how it's balanced, but unlocking guns with perks is not necessarily bad.

I'll have to agree that I liked raising skills by working with them, but then I'm sure many, many modders will implement their own perk system taking this into account, so it really isn't a big deal.

We're talking about no level cap, but it might take 6 months of game play to get to a high enough level to get all the perks. The idea is you can reasonably spec out your character by level 50. It needs a lot of testing yet to see how it all works out.

I think that thought needs more design meetings. Yes to be able to buy all present and future and dlc perks. But no on "no level cap".

Instead, it could be possible to make the player EARN those skill points. Doing challenge quests was a bland way of doing skill rewards, but as always, a step in the right direction.

How about doing a 5 hour quest and then only then you maybe get 1 skill point as a quest reward choice? That way there will be no doubt that players who get there are the real deal. Just hoping for a lot more quest variation, interactions and original plots.

I think that thought needs more design meetings. Yes to be able to buy all present and future and dlc perks. But no on "no level cap".

Instead, it could be possible to make the player EARN those skill points. Doing challenge quests was a bland way of doing skill rewards, but as always, a step in the right direction.

How about doing a 5 hour quest and then only then you maybe get 1 skill point as a quest reward choice? That way there will be no doubt that players who get there are the real deal. Just hoping for a lot more quest variation, interactions and original plots.

Doing a 5 hour quest for 1 skill point would frustrate most people. It's bad design, in my opinion, in the same lines as making the inventory realistic enough that you have to do 20 trips for a simple task. Having to put a lot of real time into the game for no return just turns it into a chore.

You can find/purchase anything, nothing is a must have. It depends on play style or role playing needs, which is where I want to see things. I'm convinced everyone plays as themselves because that is the only option to survive or "beat" the game, where in Skyrim I create all these different characters with quirks and traits to make the game interesting and more of a challenge. Like I'd install survival mods and won't eat or drink certain things, Only use abilities that fit the character, react how the character would react. Create fears/phobias, addictions, character traits and flaws. Its so much more fun to play a game like that after you've beat the game by yourself.

So I'm looking forward to seeing character builds and role playing become possible in 7 days finally.

Any chance we might get to see a quest in action in a video?

Bear in mind that just because you unlock the crafting recipes early does not mean you'll be able to craft the guns early. You'll still need to get all the required materials and crafting stations, which also require recipes. So, sure, you can rush guns, but even then you might not always get them too early due to not finding the materials, and even if you do, you missed out on other perks that might be interesting early. It all depends on how it's balanced, but unlocking guns with perks is not necessarily bad.

I'll have to agree that I liked raising skills by working with them, but then I'm sure many, many modders will implement their own perk system taking this into account, so it really isn't a big deal.

The wrench is the new Forge Ahead...

Doing a 5 hour quest for 1 skill point would frustrate most people. It's bad design, in my opinion, in the same lines as making the inventory realistic enough that you have to do 20 trips for a simple task. Having to put a lot of real time into the game for no return just turns it into a chore.

Not if you enjoy so much that quest that you don't need any reward but the thrill and therefore that skill point is a welcome treat; hell you might even wanna avoid that skill point and choose an schematic. I'm talking about a well spent character profile,mid to late game . If interesting quests are not achieved though, you might have a point.

The idea of the points is that they are representative of doing a variety of actions in the game. Most people will be killing zombies, mining, farming, crafting, exploring, harvesting, trading, questing, etc. You gain experience from doing all of those things and that is distilled into a point that can be spent however you as a player want to increase your avatar's abilities. Madmole and Gazz are working to get the balance right so that it really does feel like your points are coming from all of these activities and not just from killing zombies.

Earning points to be spent directly is not in the plan other than your beginning set of points you will get from doing the introductory quests. Removing the level cap (if they go through with it) is likely the ONLY way you will be able to earn additional points to get all the perks as all challenges and quests in the game only grant xp and loot and do not grant perk points.

The idea of the points is that they are representative of doing a variety of actions in the game. Most people will be killing zombies, mining, farming, crafting, exploring, harvesting, trading, questing, etc. You gain experience from doing all of those things and that is distilled into a point that can be spent however you as a player want to increase your avatar's abilities. Madmole and Gazz are working to get the balance right so that it really does feel like your points are coming from all of these activities and not just from killing zombies.

Earning points to be spent directly is not in the plan other than your beginning set of points you will get from doing the introductory quests. Removing the level cap (if they go through with it) is likely the ONLY way you will be able to earn additional points to get all the perks as all challenges and quests in the game only grant xp and loot and do not grant perk points.

Well... at this point, I think "doing things and earning xp" and "doing quests and earning a skill point" are not so far away. I mean, It is a game after all right? Is it really that different to do something and level up or to do something and that someone gives you a "level up choice"?

Technically different but overall pretty consistent of an "if you do things, you earn perks" design. It all comes down to how tedious those chores are, which is a path that by design is intended to go fluently and not be boring, hence my quest depth comment.

If you dont like the new system then 3 options.

1st deal with it

2 move on

3 dont buy perks

You much of never played diablo. Starcraft fallout hell most games out there that make you do something thats "not real"

Also you must hate life as you must buy things to do things to. Just shut youre piehole. Want real. Join the militray and go to war. I did its great! No games will ever be "real" they arr made by people whom dont understand what life would really be like if this was to happen. And in reguards to 7d2d no one in the world coyld make it "real" as. Its never happened so i. Send you back to option 1.

Or skip all of idiot nonsense and post on the Forums in a polite way. You know, they way the OP did.

In fact you did say you cant just get good at guns rank 3. Im sorry to tell you some people are skilled at things more then others and just. Have a skillset that blows people minds. Lets go shooting in real life i can show you. Or go swimming with phelps

What the hell are you talking about? Did you get good at guns by hitting a rock with a pick? Also, who is trying to compare stuff to real life now?

This is bad, and doesn't make sense.

Could you elaborate mate. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with meganoth, but at least he explained why he thinks this is good. If you think it´s bad also supply reasons beyond ´doesn´t make sense´ (+there's much more in the game that doesn't make sense to get round to before you got anywhere close to something then this). Cause this way it don´t help nobody.

Can Rocket Launchers have a Heat Seeking feature to combat Gyrocopters?

Also, can we have Rocket Launcher Turrets, that act as Anti Air? ... to combat Gyrocopters?

Whats wrong with a good old fashioned well placed shot? You can't shoot a gun while driving a vehicle so its not like that guy in the sky is causing problems for anyone.

Archived