Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

65? Seriously? I've followed your comments and such for a very long while in these threads (well, relatively speaking), and I have to say...I know age is nothing but a number, but you're still one SERIOUSLY awesome individual for continuing to pursue something that you enjoy when so much of society might judge you for it.

I don't mean to sound patronizing at all (so I'm sorry if it did), but I think that is AWESOME. Also, as an avid archer in 7D myself, ARCHERS UNITE!

I'll be sure to show my Mother this who called me, amused, at 6am to tell me she just "concurrently owned" a wolf "and" a snake while trapped in a hole with her beloved sniper rifle. Also adding, "..you couldn't pry this thing from my cold dead hands." Yes.. this is true.

Unite! :joyous:

- from the only archer in the family

Did I just understand this correctly, there's Strength, Agility, Perception and something else..

And once you buy into one, the others are locked or something?

You focus into one tree? :f

Icons from left to right:

Perception, Strenght, Fortitude, Agility and Intellect.

The rest is plain wrong.

Didn't check in for 2 days and 2 videos have been uploaded, talk about my luck..

Anyways, it was mentioned that it could be viable to fight zombies unarmed in one of the videos, but do you need to keep an empty slot on your toolbelt to be able to do that, or is something else planned?

There seems to be two camps on this issue. There are those who think it is horrible to not be able to tell the difference between a knocked down enemy and a truly dead enemy. I saw lots of comments about this in past videos where (because of the removal of the looting text on zombies and the addition of the ragdolling) it was very very difficult to tell if they were out for the count or not. Lots of people wanted some kind of indicator to know.

Then there are those who really enjoy the uncertainty and would love to never know for sure if that zombie will rise once more. I am firmly in this camp. I was so excited when ragdolling was added to knocked down zombies and then when the looting bodies went away with its dead giveaway of looting container text flashing on the screen. It was almost impossible to know. The only tell was the death scream and once you listened for it and heard it then you knew once again when they were dead.

I suggested to Madmole possibly mixing that sound up so that it played for knocked down enemies as well and that is when I learned the horrifying truth. Madmole is firmly in the other camp. He said he would not do that and that he was already planning to make sure there was a visual way to tell the difference between dead and not dead because he felt it was important to know.

Ah well....maybe a mod will be able to make this a reality. It was so close....

Thanks for the insight, Roland. It is nice to hear about some of these internal conversations. If I'm not mistaken, Madmole has mentioned his consideration for noobs/dificulty level so I guess I can see it his way (if that is his reason). I may not agree with it, but I can respect his decision... fingers crossed someone will disrespect it with an awesome mod like you said.

Just to add - I went back and watched all of the knock down/recover animations in the last video and it is quite good so props, Madmole. The animation looks smooth and fairly natural. I just hope it looks that smooth when they ragdoll down a hill or fall off something. I see some potential for awkward looking moments in different situations that a pause in recovery time would avoid. Only time will tell I guess.

Just watched and have to say with each of these I get more and more excited.

In some ways I can see ' Oh yes, they combined that skill and that skill in there' and sometimes it is all new. I can definitely see the new framework and how it is allowing you to do these new things.

I have a strong feeling I will be spending a lot of points in Intellect. A lot of what I do in this game was in there.

Thank you Joel for the video and all the hard work. IN TFP WE TRUST!

... Or you could just let your class emerge as you go.

That sounds like the basic plot line of a good survival movie. After my first two games (First time to learn and second to min/max) I will do that.

But with my first character, I will try to live as long as possible and experience... EVERYTHING! :)

... I have a strong feeling I will be spending a lot of points in Intellect. A lot of what I do in this game was in there.

Intellect is the Min/Max'ers dream! :)

I will be tempted to max everything in Intellect if playing MP but, of course, leave out Charismatic Nature for SP.

I also see some serious killer teams with a couple of maxed C.N. players. WOW!

So future request: Someone do a video with at least 2 maxed C.N. players on an assault of some major POI! :D

Thanks for another awesome video, MM! I like that casual reintroduction of the gyrocopter. It is very nice to see more food items being added too. Variety is a welcomed sight.

Question - Has there been any additions to the visuals of items in-hand? Would love to see every item have a 3D rendition of itself when being held. Not the most important thing in the world, but game asthetics have been a big focus as of late so just curious.

...And those PVP players were complaining about not getting love from TFP! Apologies should be rolling in after all of the team-centered perks available.

I really appreciate the recent flow of videos from Joel. They're long overdue, but I can appreciate from the perspective of such a large re-write of the games skeleton that it may have been near impossible to have a bug-free presentation up until now (note the latest video teaser showed zero gameplay, just changes to skills / perks menus).

To speculate with the awesome power of hindsight, I do wonder if it was a bad decision to take the update to Unity part way into this update to A17. Sure, it's meant fewer disruptions to users when the game (finally) gets updated, but I really think it would have been better to do the new 'skeleton' in the old, familiar version of Unity, and then to ship and update to the newer version, with all the texture stuff later on in the post A17e cycle.

All those new POIs, more challenging melee, all new perk/skill framework... it's going to seem like an all-new game once it finally gets released.

Query: Will the gyrocopter become the new way to escape engaging the hordes? Is it possible to shoot from the copter, or are your hands locked onto the controls?

Query: Will the gyrocopter become the new way to escape engaging the hordes? Is it possible to shoot from the copter, or are your hands locked onto the controls?

I'd be very surprised if the fuel consumption of a gyrocopter wasn't high enough to make a full night's flight unfeasible.

Knowing how helicopter controls work you'd be unlikely to be able to shoot a gun without spiraling out of control. A real helicopter requires both hands and feet to keep it under control and, according to the pilots, they're difficult to fly even in perfect conditions.

Archived