Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Check out our new perception attribute and its perks!

Thanks for the video! I liked some of the ideas regarding the higher levels of some perks (crippling etc.). Would have liked to see them though.

Overall.. most perks shown increased damage and decreased reload speed. Not very.. new, I think.

Also if you're only playing the game with two players total, there will be fewer zombies, so will that lack of players to fill those remaining specialization roles be okay or will the only way to succeed now and get to later-stage zombie hordes be to have players filling all the roles? DUM dum DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM! lol, will be interesting to find out!l

Which remaining specialization roles?

Crafting?

If you don't like it, rely on loot or traders to get what you need.

Killing zombies? Use your crafting-oriented skills to build more traps, explosives, other improved ammunitions like AP rounds.

Correct me if I'm wrong; at 12:16 into the video MM says "you don't do extra headshot damage until you perk into this".

Does this mean headshots won't do extra damage by default? In other words; aiming for headshots is useless unless one has bought this perk?

Correct me if I'm wrong; at 12:16 into the video MM says "you don't do extra headshot damage until you perk into this".

Does this mean headshots won't do extra damage by default? In other words; aiming for headshots is useless unless one has bought this perk?

I was wondering the same thing. Not an issue late game, but would make a material difference at the start with low tier weapons.

And no daVega, I’m not stalking you!

I know we've only seen 2 attribute trees, but when it comes to weapons, so far it strikes me that many of the perks affect the same weapon stats that will be affected by weapon mods. It's nice to synergize your perks and mods, but I'm more excited to see my character gain new capabilities than to see incremental improvements. Perks like, now you can throw your knife, now you can dual wield pistols, now you can move while aiming, now you can melee with your gun, etc.

I've been thinking the same thing. Skills like "Stay Down" just increase the chance of some proc. I'd like to see perks that give me new abilities that I have to actively use. Like kick/block ability...

Hope you remember to grab some much needed down time when all is said and done. Can't wait until all these "haters" have the words taken from their mouths when they get to see just how much work has been poured into this. I have NEVER been a fan of the perks system, but man Im not going to lie you proved me wrong. You actually have me excited to character build. I'm SO happy you guys went all in on these attributes.

We do expect to convert more of you guys. Hehe

A perk system and a (gasp!) simplified one where you get to buy a new and useful thing every level without having to math it up and plan ahead... that surely has to be the end of the world!

Of course that's gamey but it only has to work within a... well... game.

The old skill system was bland and boring. There was no way to do anything interesting with it.

So you got to grind out 3000 stone shovels. That is a soul-destroying task.

(my lord and master wishes to acquire those souls intact, TYVM)

I know that some enjoy this type of "gameplay". There are entire 7D mods built around that!

No idea if that still works but rest assured that there is still Cookie Clicker out there where every click gets you further away from the start of the game!

Is the "crafting game" too weak? We have (or can have) triggers for "stuff happening" when you place or repair a block.

Maybe you get a Building Zen increasing XP bonus if you place or repair 20 blocks in a row.

No, Toto. We're definitely not in A16 anymore.

So there is now less time to profit from knocked down zombies (bonus damage) as they get up immediately.

That mechanic was helpful in melee, especially when fighting a larger group of them.

So what?

There is no law saying that this must be "it".

Maybe a knocked down zombie gets a concussion for 10 seconds and attacks more slowly, maybe a run speed reduction.

One of the highest priorities right now is getting all the perks and effects in, not to balance them.

(this is only competing with all the other highest priorities. ;))

I don't think Joel has shown Int/crafting, yet, and parts of that are still blurry.

Being the "crafting person" should be viable, though, if that's your jam. You can definitely craft higher tier items which have more mod slots to do fun stuff with.

A likely feature is also found schematics which are one-time use and add something special to an item, like a Mining Pick Schematic with the Crunch Time mod that increases your block damage the closer you get to horde night.

Sure, most everyone could use that schematic if they can craft basic iron tools (very cheap) so it's not useless...

but wouldn't you want someone with a high crafting skill to do that and get a higher tier item and have it on a steel pick instead of an iron one?

We do expect to convert more of you guys. Hehe

A perk system and a (gasp!) simplified one where you get to buy a new and useful thing every level without having to math it up and plan ahead... that surely has to be the end of the world!

Of course that's gamey but it only has to work within a... well... game.

The old skill system was bland and boring. There was no way to do anything interesting with it.

So you got to grind out 3000 stone shovels. That is a soul-destroying task.

(my lord and master wishes to acquire those souls intact, TYVM)

I know that some enjoy this type of "gameplay". There are entire 7D mods built around that!

No idea if that still works but rest assured that there is still Cookie Clicker out there where every click gets you further away from the start of the game!

Is the "crafting game" too weak? We have (or can have) triggers for "stuff happening" when you place or repair a block.

Maybe you get a Building Zen increasing XP bonus if you place or repair 20 blocks in a row.

No, Toto. We're definitely not in A16 anymore.

So what?

There is no law saying that this must be "it".

Maybe a knocked down zombie gets a concussion for 10 seconds and attacks more slowly, maybe a run speed reduction.

One of the highest priorities right now is getting all the perks and effects in, not to balance them.

(this is only competing with all the other highest priorities. ;))

Frankly I don't care of new or old Perk system. I think a simple thing is you give some books that one can read, or turn them in paper for bullets and say if he do headshot his efficiency with sniper increase and headshot become more powerful by some percent say 0.05% or if he mine he get strength it is very low to gain but instead of 2 skill point in X and bang you are powerful is not what I want. If I do mining more I become efficient in that, but not in other part. You have that part in old system for few skills. wondering it that is the case for some now. but really love to have that part.

Something that struck me as odd... a perception perk increases fire rate.

I can see a perception perk adjusting that run and gun reticle size (That makes perfect sense and I love that improvement!) but shouldn't a fire rate perk be in the stamina perks, nor the perception perks?

Also an observation... In the past Joel has been the graphic texture guy... but now he is getting his hands dirty in the xml adjusting zombie behavior!

I think they maybe get up a tad too fast now, but thats far better than them laying there for 6 or 7 seconds.

Also an observation... In the past Joel has been the graphic texture guy... but now he is getting his hands dirty in the xml adjusting zombie behavior!

Isn't Gazz the one hooking up the XML, Madmole is writing the descriptions and deciding what perks do what.

Isn't Gazz the one hooking up the XML, Madmole is writing the descriptions and deciding what perks do what.

He said he just changed The get timing...maybe he meant he had someone (gazz?) change it for him?

Once you look at the text files though, thins are pretty easy to edit.

So since I like to gather, ranged, and craft, looks like strength for mining/lumber jack/pack mule (25), perception for bows/rifles (20), and intelligence for crafting (40+). And that's just what little I know. Still seems like other things I'd want to grab from other trees, too. Not much of a melee fighter, so doubt I'd do much there other than skinning? Just need to see all trees. What's max level? I remember hearing 5 skill points (possibly) for finishing intro quests, too. And I'm guessing general quests won't give skill points either now, else it could be "unlimited" which is not intended currently. So still seems like players will be able to go fully what they typically like doing, just none of the rest which are "extras". I rarely rarely ever melee or need to, so I wouldn't "need" to go much strength combat-wise. I rarely use pistols, smgs, etc other than rifles, so wouldn't "need" the other gun perks. It's nice currently being able to, just cause, but not really needed since I don't do it on any kind of regular basis.

I want to always max out:

- 1 melee skill (10 Str + 5)

- 2 Ranged skills (10 Per + 10)

- Mining (+5)

- Looting (+5)

So thats 45 points spent with a minimum of 55 points remaining for trying out new play styles. Cant wait to try it out! :D

So there is now less time to profit from knocked down zombies (bonus damage) as they get up immediately.

That mechanic was helpful in melee, especially when fighting a larger group of them.

To visualize them not being dead on the ground, they could also play some "shaking" animation on the ground, instead of getting up immediately.

The bonus damage wasn't because they were knocked down. That was because they were stunned. I believe the difference is that they now stay standing when stunned but you still get bonus damage. If they still fall while stunned, I assume they wouldn't get up until the stun wears off. I guess they could still start their stand up animation but just not attack until the stun timer is gone. The net result would be the same.

Archived