Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

If crouching for the player and the zombies where to be allowed, that could make players playing "optimally" to always create 1 block high passages.

The whole game might turn into a crouching simulator.

No not really. The player's avatar would have to get onto the ground (go prone). The animation for this, both first and third person view would take time. Time to get down and get back up.

Second. The player view and movement would be restrictive. You see a lot less and move a lot slower. Plus the avatar would tire out very quickly.

In short, the player would likely spend most of there time in an upright position.

Vanilla+ (custom hud and some minor xml tweaks) but kickass apimods ^^. 100% PVE as i absolutely despise PVP.

Cheers

Same here... have nothing with PVP

Got about 2300 hours in the game but like to try out the different kinda mods a.t.m.

Apimods? Like what?

What keeps u interested in the Vanilla version? I feel kind bored after the survivalissues of the first days and then slowly building up ur base, get the concrete u need and survive every 7th night without any pain. What keeps u occupied besides building/repairing?

Perhaps I come by on ur server, dutch rule ;)

The Blunderbuss

One thing that I would like to see is players able to find a blunderbuss by a random find or at the trader.

You could use it at the start or early in the game.

By the time you can make one, you don't needed because by then the player would have found other weapons that are better.

- - - Updated - - -

Christmas Release. ;x

Only if Christmas was tomorrow. ;)

Doors don't attract zombies just because they exist. The door is only more attractive than the wall next to it and only to a certain degree. If air is next to it, they will chose the air.

Faatal, do you mean now in A17 or also in A16. Because it seems Roland was under same impression I was.

No. In A16 zombies have an AI task to destroy doors. It has nothing to do with their pathing grid or HP. They’d go for a steel vault door set in a wooden shack. That’s why you can place doors away from your base and they will go and attack them when aggro. In fact if you duplicate that line in the xmls two more times then they become positively obsessed with doors and even ignore you standing nearby.

In A17 I believe that task is removed (but I haven’t checked). Doors are ONLY attractive as low hp blocks between you and the zombies. So they still go for doors if that is the best pathway to you but they don’t have a soecific task to seek out any door. So making a “door honeypot” won’t work in A17 like it did pre-A17.

Question got lost in the shuffle:

Roland or Faatal: Is there any word on player vending machines? Ill elaborate.. So at least in vanilla in a15/16 if a player was offline more than the basic 7 days not only would their LCB expire but their vending machine would bug out any other player including admins if they got too close to said vending machine and would force the player to the command console. Has this been fixed so that the player(s) do not get stuck and it just makes the machine inoperable?

^ This

Never really understood the "need" for prone in that whole scenario. I'm 178cm and can very comfortably crouch walk through a 1 meter square space... At 50, I'm certainly not a contortionist. It's the one development decision in 7 Days that I've strongly disagreed and been disappointed with..

From what I understood is being able to crawl through a 1x1 hole was taken out because if zombies can't do it we shouldn't be able to do it either. From what I have read from time to time now is that zombies will be able to do it but we won't. If so, I don't understand why.

From what I understood is being able to crawl through a 1x1 hole was taken out because if zombies can't do it we shouldn't be able to do it either. From what I have read from time to time now is that zombies will be able to do it but we won't. If so, I don't understand why.

would you imagine making a 1x1 hole to be "safe" from zombies, and then you find crawlers or zombies with their legs missing coming in too? lol

I was constantly seeing legless zombies from cacti, XD

I know people who would make tunnels 1.5 x 1 so theyd have to crouch through it, but zombies would get stuck.

would you imagine making a 1x1 hole to be "safe" from zombies, and then you find crawlers or zombies with their legs missing coming in too? lol

I was constantly seeing legless zombies from cacti, XD

I know people who would make tunnels 1.5 x 1 so theyd have to crouch through it, but zombies would get stuck.

I don't recall using the 1x1 crawlthrough that often but it seems like something you should be able to do. I also don't recall if zombies could get stuck going through 1x1 spaces. I seem to recall having to dig through an area when zombies have swisscheesed (yes I used it as a verb) to get to them to take them out.

All the above is dependent on a failing memory.

@Roland, I have been checking this forum almost daily going onto 5 months now. As frustrating as that is, at least I could go through things organically. Now I have to jump back and forth between threads to try and piece together context of a post. I really dislike this new setup. If you use the latest post as an example, it doesn't even work. I read your quote of madmole saying:

"Here is a first look at new attributes strength, intellect and perception and their perk trees. We hope there are many interesting builds possible with over 250 perk choices and 5 governing attributes."

So I click on it for context and the actual post....

It brings me back to the main page, I click on the link for "Madmole shows new perks". It brings me back to your post. This is such a poor way to organize information. I get that you likely wanted to make dev posts more visible, but this is not the way. This is confusing, frustrating, and a waste of peoples time. A forum is designed around people reading information organically, if you want to do a Dev roundup, I would suggest something along the lines of a summary post, essentially what already exists in the first 2 posts of this thread.

Dead would be 0 yeah. How would one classify 6000 players out of 2 million+ units sold? Comatose?

Not to be argumentative (Well, maybe a little), 5,500 players globally out of well over 2.5 million copies sold is pretty dead by most people's definition. As someone that runs one of the top 10 ranked 7dtd servers, player population has been dismal lately. But, I am looking forward to the release of A17. The players will come back, as they always do with a new update. It just sucks having to spend all this money running servers with so few people playing. That is my choice of course, but a necessary evil to stay high in the rankings.

Here's a quick dose of reality for you guys.

https://steamcharts.com/app/251570

310e64d7879d30b6d8ba08649d39406c.png

Lets take a look at another title with similar sales numbers.

97c3923e082a809dbf4e09507962b04b.png

@Roland, I like Icecream. It's very cold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGZ0i3qb2Oc

- - - Updated - - -

I like Bananas. They are tasty.

I believe The Forest is full release though, it's gone gold somewhat recently so.. I think it's more available. I myself am playing it right now.. since it's finished to experience all the new things in it. Though it'll only last 200 hours or so..

@Roland, I have been checking this forum almost daily going onto 5 months now. As frustrating as that is, at least I could go through things organically. Now I have to jump back and forth between threads to try and piece together context of a post. I really dislike this new setup..

Roland,

I’d like to co-sign with Mr. Lorax. I appreciate the Herculean effort you spent creating the dev thread and understand why you did it. But I now find both threads unsatisfying since they are both missing necessary context. I typically check in every week or two and like to see the entire discussion For the next dev diary, it would be great if rather than cutting the dev posts from the diary/discussion thread you could simply copy them. I know your hands are tied by the forum software but there may be a better solution after starting fresh with a new diary.

Roland: I was curious; you send messages to the streamers about the status of A17E, mainly that it's not ready and won't be ready for another couple of weeks for sure, and t-shirts... And so on.

Shouldn't you also post something similar here also? Some of the streamers make videos to tell their followers about the news so, I would prefer to hear it from you, right where I check every day, then to stumble onto a random video.

It's not like it's suppose to be a secret now, is it? (sorry if it's a secret... My bad!) :)

Question for the Devs:

What was the reason for ending support of A16 at .4B8?

Was it because the work on A17 was so drastic to the core code that anymore work on A16 was a waste of time?

Because of the work on A17, any more work on A16 would have been a waste of time. Drastic doesn't really have anything to do with it. There is extra work involved in any update that you want to release to the public. In any particular Alpha, there comes a time when that extra work is just a waste of resources.

I find it so sad that 7 Days to die as Mixed Reviews in Recent Reviews on Steam, and a Mostly Positive rating overall, compared to Very Positive not so long ago. All that because of some people who cannot wait for greatness to be created and ready (in this case, A17 of course).

My all time favorite game... It breaks my heart! :( But I play A16.4 and suddenly :( turns into this :)

Random thought since one thing I'm really hoping A17 brings is some new block shapes that can compete with the 'Pole' defense.

What if all blocks only 'worked' if logically oriented?

So Poles could still be horizontal, but their structural support would -only- come from their ends actually connected to another block.

So you have an 11x11 cage, full cube blocks in corners (couldn't use vertical quarter blocks since they wouldn't connect), Poles horizontal across faces.

If a Z took out a chest high corner block then you'd likely see that corner collapse. Unlike currently where all the Poles are also vertical supports, even though visually they don't come close to touching each other.

I _think_ it's possible to do that, judging by Campfires, cardboard boxes, etc.

If nothing else it'd make building a bit more challenging :)

I find it so sad that 7 Days to die as Mixed Reviews in Recent Reviews on Steam, and a Mostly Positive rating overall, compared to Very Positive not so long ago. All that because of some people who cannot wait for greatness to be created and ready (in this case, A17 of course).

My all time favorite game... It breaks my heart! :( But I play A16.4 and suddenly :( turns into this :)

I feel your frustration, Space4Ace. I love this game. Sure, I've been frustrated by the slowness of the development timeline, as I'd imagine most of the player base is. Honestly, I'd imagine the developers are probably fairly frustrated themselves...but they want to put out the best A17 they can...so they parley what information they can to us and they keep plugging along.

If I had one major criticism of TFP, it'd be that they don't communicate as well as they could. Roland, Fataal and Gazz do their best to keep us informed here (with the occasional assist from MadMole), and I appreciate that. I just wish they'd translate some of that communication over to Steam at points. Though, perhaps Steam requires a new update/build before you can do that. I dunno. Wouldn't make sense for that to be the case, but LOTS of things don't make sense. ;)

But yeah, the butt-hurt whining and bad-reviewing the game because you're PO'd that 17 hasn't dropped yet is ridiculous. The game is playable as-is...and not only playable, but actually enjoyable. Yet still you have people who will ignore that completely, all so they can damage the rep of the game and the devs in some sort of (at best) misguided attempt to spur the devs to hurry up, or (at worst) just so they can have some sort of petty, spiteful vengeance on a very hardworking set of developers for not doing things the way they should.

Archived