Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Well I'm glad you posted something you feel passionate about. You did post it in a public forum and so you should be prepared to get negative responses to your view. I get that all the time, myself.

I think some of the snarkiness is not aimed at you personally. I think it is aimed at the annoying philosophy of changing jargon because somebody doesn't believe the old term works any longer. I admit that I don't care for such a focus on semantics and feel a bit of resentment towards attempts to change words that are just fine the way they are. As a teacher in the US public education system I'm urged to change the words I use all the time because after awhile someone in admin feels like that word no longer fits or is good enough. Instead of "students" we have to call them "learners" but then after a few years someone thinks that "learners" might send the wrong message so then we have to call them "trainees" since that will help them acclimate to the workforce but then eventually some other admin decides that "trainee" has such a sterile feel to it that she decides the best is to call them "students". <facepalm>

I think it is a pointless exercise, myself. But all of the walking thesauruses of the world want to give every synonym its chance in the spotlight, apparently, so sure. Let's call it "EA-v17". As long as we all know that what we are talking about is this current phase of development where the devs are still replacing placeholder systems and overhauling features and cutting stuff and putting in new things, and that we will know when this phase is over because they will stop doing that stuff. You can call it whatever you want.

(But the devs of this game are calling it "Alpha" so.........seems easiest......to just.....go with that?)

Excellently put!

Ew god i hope not, that always looks terrible.

I agree. I wonder how hard it would be instead to connect it to the "exploding" effect that happens when two corpses that are too close together collide. There could be a short 'bursting' animation coupled with that same 'splorching' sound that happens, so it seems like after a short time period the corpse bloats and explodes?

The old system was the same. Doors had less calculated health. Which attracted the zombies. But the pathing mechanic, if I understand correctly, used to have zombies just searching for the lowest health block, and they went after it. So doors took a huge priority anywhere placed.

No. In A16 zombies have an AI task to destroy doors. It has nothing to do with their pathing grid or HP. They’d go for a steel vault door set in a wooden shack. That’s why you can place doors away from your base and they will go and attack them when aggro. In fact if you duplicate that line in the xmls two more times then they become positively obsessed with doors and even ignore you standing nearby.

In A17 I believe that task is removed (but I haven’t checked). Doors are ONLY attractive as low hp blocks between you and the zombies. So they still go for doors if that is the best pathway to you but they don’t have a soecific task to seek out any door. So making a “door honeypot” won’t work in A17 like it did pre-A17.

My 'problem' (it's not really), is that 'It's Alpha' is often used to counter-argue the question/demand for optimization. And by forgoing the classic, rigid, definition of Alpha-Beta-Gold, which occurs when adding features post-launch/post-optimization, one forgoes the 'It's Alpha' argument as well. Fine by me that features will be added during Beta/Gold/whatever you want to call it, no problem at all. But the 'It's Alpha and therefore optimization will come probably later'-argument will not hold if the classic structure is not followed.

A lot of optimizations have already been done to the game. If not it would be running at 5 FPS and need 32 GB RAM. Can there be more? Sure, but that is an ongoing process.

The Horror!!!! What will the immersion Nazis do???

Your attitude sucks. Oh the HORROR of people actually playing a game to immerse themselves in it.

With your point of view we may as well be firing sheep from a pitchfork and calling it an Uzi. Because immersion is lame amirite?

Roland, I understand what you are saying.

However sometimes what we perceive is very different from the situation that you describe.

TFP sometimes do things that may appear to some as if they are unprofessional, or not very careful with their design process.

Things like:

• Announcing features for a specific alpha that later are postponed
  • Talk about features in a way that makes you think they are official but then they are dropped
  • Implement things that later are discarded
  • Implement things that later are completely redesigned

Even considering that during development some trial and erroray may occur, this might seem a bit to much for some.

Furthermore "not giving dates" may seem like a symptom of inability to make accurate estimates on your work, or, even worse, a symptom of not having a detailed plan for your work.

That sounds like all the normal stuff that goes on internally at a game company, that the customer never sees. In early access you get to see some of that process, which may annoy some, but that is the process.

Your attitude sucks. Oh the HORROR of people actually playing a game to immerse themselves in it.

With your point of view we may as well be firing sheep from a pitchfork and calling it an Uzi. Because immersion is lame amirite?

If this game existed I would play the ♥♥♥♥ out of it. I wouldn't call it an Uzi, I'd call it my angry mob baaaaaa launcher

LOL!!!

Immersion doesnt exist. Its a video game where u sit on your fat arse in a chair pounding on a keyboard and mouse to slay zombies and build skyscrapers.

That being said, its a DAMM good video game, there is just 0 immersion, like any other game.

Archived