Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Why not parent passengers to the jeep?

As far as I know it does. The issue seems to be that the actual position is determined by the passengers client, the delay in updating the position to the server and back again causes the passenger to teleport around the seat erratically.

That's just an educated guess with an assumption of the cause determined by a description of the problem. That's a lot of "if's".

As far as I know it does. The issue seems to be that the actual position is determined by the passengers client, the delay in updating the position to the server and back again causes the passenger to teleport around the seat erratically.

That's just an educated guess with an assumption of the cause determined by a description of the problem. That's a lot of "if's".

Just got an image of 4 people in a jeep all teleporting around randomly and differently on each of the 4 screens. Each of them firing and guns and bullets all going from random launch points. LOL :)

I could be wrong, but I thought I recalled madmole mentioning that this also tied to PVP enhancements. I think the underlying network communication code is good enough for a PVE experience in where you can let a lot of stuff kinda slide. But may need improvements to support more real time connectivity, which would include the passenger vehicle issues.

Totally may be recalling and assuming incorrectly.

- - - Updated - - -

Just got an image of 4 people in a jeep all teleporting around randomly and differently on each of the 4 screens. Each of them firing and guns and bullets all going from random launch points. LOL :)

That just made me think of an electrocuted porcupine. lol

We can try it again. It wasn't super popular the first time we got strict. But I'm willing to give it a go.

I don't think strict is what people are looking for. I think something like a "COMBINED DEV TRACKER" type thread where only the devs are allowed to make posts (or where all dev posts are collected) is what people are looking for. Is there some type of forum functionality that automatically copies posts over to a secondary thread? Wouldn't it be cool if we could have one (locked) topic that all the devs post in, and those posts are automatically also made in another topic where anyone can discuss? Or just manually (or automatically) copy every dev post into a separate locked thread so people looking for dev posts have a one-stop shop?

The dev tracker is nice but you also don't know which devs are posting and when so it can be hard to keep track of, and filtering through each dev one-by-one in the tracker just to see if anyone made a post is not very user-friendly

edit: looks like this... already happened?? haha

I could be wrong, but I thought I recalled madmole mentioning that this also tied to PVP enhancements. I think the underlying network communication code is good enough for a PVE experience in where you can let a lot of stuff kinda slide. But may need improvements to support more real time connectivity, which would include the passenger vehicle issues.

Totally may be recalling and assuming incorrectly.

An authoritative server would help, it would also stop a lot of griefing, that's a lot of work to implement though.

The passenger is still enabled. Is on my list to disable, but I think I can just comment the seat out in xml, so anyone could then add it back.

Perfect faatal! Love that approach. Disable for the general game, but make it easy for us who might want to play around with it anyhow :)

Ok some ideas:

1. Prepping - You could add a theme of prepping into the game. example,. POI of a prepper base or camp "that didnt make it, or are armed to the teeth and if you come near they open up on you perhaps with turrets etc.

They already have POIs with spike traps and boarded windows. IDK about the live turrets out in the open. Seems like that would add to a lot of surprise deaths. Maybe in a dungeon crawl POI.

Ok some ideas:

2. Perhaps new ways to distil water, to take contaminated to clean via solar still. Only gives a bottle a day sort of thing. Knock it up with glass, wood and a beaker?

3. DIY wind turbine for power. Variable power so it goes up and down a bit. Made from Electrical parts, Car radiator, fan blades

4. A lot more trap ideas - Pungi stakes, trip/ snare wires/ bear traps

The Ravenhearst mod has some of these things. Or maybe I'm thinking of War of the Walkers. I know Ravenheast has rain catchers and a few new traps, I think it has the wind turbines but last time I used them it made the FPS drop pretty far.

5. The gyrocoper... gyrocoper.. did I say... Gyrocopter :-p

It's coming. The asset has been in game for a while. Should be in A18.

6. Black solar hot water heater - Maybe for heating up houses in cold?

I have/had one of these on my house. It didn't work that well.

7. CHEMISTRY - oh my gosh did you see the latest minecraft update. The education edition (not encouraging you to copy), but I am :-). The science skill should increase your ability to make certain things. Like gunpowder etc.

So many ideas where the science skill could be more useful.

a) Make hydrogen gas - for really high level hydrogen fuel cell, or really low level (unstable it could blow) gas bomb

b) Make breathing apparatus for underwater (think butane bottle, hose, helmet)

C) Growing crops better - e.g. PH and Soil (Think red cabbage

D) Make Soap - Gain health back due to hygene (Need fat, charcol)

E) Making preserved food in jars rather than just food in a can. Allow food to go off or lose its value over time unless it's preserved

F) GLOWSTICKS! 24 hours time limit.. early game use

C, D, and E are all in Ravenhearst.

8. Aquaponic/ Hydroponics system - have fish, a tank and allow people to make a hydroponics system that can grow food slowely.

Lots of new systems (watering system, indoor lighting system, fish, etc.) to make there for one little feature. I hope they just fix of optimize the water that's there first.

9. DRONES - is it possible to have a remote control drone that you can see out of to explore the world. battery live of 30 sec/ 60sec/ 90sec for levels.

The Halicopter. Also in Ravenhearst.

- - - Updated - - -

The passenger is still enabled. Is on my list to disable, but I think I can just comment the seat out in xml, so anyone could then add it back.

What's wrong with the passenger seat?

So the first post has obviously been edited but it still says first post edited on the 15th and the how close we are thing has gone. Are we any closer to getting a release date for 17?

Yes, but only in the sense that the release date will be known by the time the update is released, that will happen at a point in the future, and time moves forward. So we are technically always getting closer to getting a release date.

I have no plans on changing the sleeper code. So that is done until someone finds a bug.

And I said I thought AI, pathing and vehicles were all good enough for A17e. In your language, they are done. Does that mean I am not working on them? No, they can always be improved and there are still bugs. No employee should be sitting around waiting for others to finish their work.

I can hear it now, "But you should help them with their stuff". Nope, that is not how it works. For small stuff yes. Like I fixed a tiny compile bug that was submitted by another programmer last night. But, as I've said before, each person has knowledge and plans for their systems and new people trying to 'help' often just makes a mess out of it and slows the original person down. Can you imagine Gazz in the middle of balancing hundreds of game values and I come in and start changing parts of it? Cue Gazz smacking me in the head.

There needs to be a video of gaz smacking you or it never happened. :D

Thanks for splitting the thread Roland. Hope it wasn't too brutal of a task and this forum has good tools for such things. Much appreciated!

It doesn’t. :)

Roland had already made separate threads pulling out many of faatal and Kinyajuu’s posts, which could have given him a head start. But it’s still a matter of finding and selecting which posts to move one by one over the thousands of pages, likely aided by our underpowered search function. All the more reason to appreciate what Roland’s done.

It will affect the discussion here, though, just not directly. Many people don’t come here (as in the last pages of the thread) to read and add to the banter, per se. They come here for news, and end up reading and adding to the banter incidentally. Now more people can get their news from the other thread without seeing all the banter. That was the idea, after all, but it will mean less banter, as people generally don’t respond to what they don’t see. Whether that’s good or bad, I leave up to the reader.

I have no plans on changing the sleeper code. So that is done until someone finds a bug.

And I said I thought AI, pathing and vehicles were all good enough for A17e. In your language, they are done. Does that mean I am not working on them? No, they can always be improved and there are still bugs. No employee should be sitting around waiting for others to finish their work.

I can hear it now, "But you should help them with their stuff". Nope, that is not how it works. For small stuff yes. Like I fixed a tiny compile bug that was submitted by another programmer last night. But, as I've said before, each person has knowledge and plans for their systems and new people trying to 'help' often just makes a mess out of it and slows the original person down. Can you imagine Gazz in the middle of balancing hundreds of game values and I come in and start changing parts of it? Cue Gazz smacking me in the head.

THIS. SO THIS! No one understands man. We have a Git repo for my mod, and only i work on it. I made a mistake of allowing access ONCE for others to look at and edit files and I woke up one day and saw changes that I did not know about done while I was asleep. The rage that flowed through me. No one understood why I was so mad. Or why when they suggested to me that I let them "clean up my files" my eye twitched severely.

But you KNOW and you GET IT. Stay out of my working files dammit! :D

Keep in mind that was only my opinion. Others at the company might want more changes to my stuff before A17e.

You can always find something to do. A developer who can't keep themselves busy is typically who you fire.

Dont give up on that passenger spot in the jeep when u have free time. Many of us would love u long time if that made it into a17.x

Thats a long flight from Germany just to smack you lol

Thanks for the update! Very appreciated :)

It's good that you're seeing some areas which are done/good enough!

And Gazz shouldn't smack you! If he does, you should tell him that that hurts your feelings! And that he's a mean boy/girl!

Archived