Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Hi Guys,

just one question regarding the electricity in A17: Could you please make battery packs charge faster? Currently it is limited to 5W and it's really slow. I tried to create multiple batteries linked together as a safe failover if the sun goes down (and blade traps and turrets needs more juice).

Also it would be really nice if the required power is more than the solar panel can provide than just use the batteries for the required + few watts.

For example: If I build a solar panel that provides 50 Watts than if I need 60, than use the battery for the remaining 10. Currently it's just stops working completely :(

I'm really a fan of the game, I played it with my friends together for 500+ hours, also I love to play just in creative mode to create houses with complete electricity systems that works really well full automated in any case :) Would be really nice if I can get some upgraded option to electricity to make bigger and bigger circuits (alternate switch will be nice to have, even as a timed alt switch), or more items that can use electricity (an electric oven/furnace for cooking/melting maybe? Or a working heater/AC solution that uses electricity to stay in a comfy temp in the house? Or some kind of air evaporator to produce clean water from air over time). Also if it is possible, parallel circuits would be a wet dream for me, but currently it's impossible because the only one input nature of electricity based stuff.

Waiting for A17, make it great, we have time :)

@Faatal, @MM, @Jaz, @Roland

guys I have a big question, now that we have the jeep 4x4 as we keep the vehicle inside our bases? Do we have doors 4 blocks wide? or will they give more points of life to the garage door that is 3 blocks wide?

I'll take it as a no, oh rays I think it creates another problem to solve :shocked:

That's a fair observation, especially for someone unfamiliar with the subject.

Personally I'm just bummed that processor manufacturers haven't released 128 bit architecture to the general public in large quantities. Apparently it's more profitable to keep squeezing more cores on a chip. That may soon come to an end though, without making the etching smaller we're literally running out of space on a standard size CPU.

Honestly what's 128 bit going to matter if we can't build our software to fully utilize it? 😜. The 32bit backward compatibility death grip is still held onto. Technology companies from hardware to OS are running out of reasons for us to buy their products. Upgrades aren't as substantial as they once were. Things are lasting longer. Holding out on really utilizing things like 64 bit and 128bit processing is one of their last major sales boosts. They're not ready to really run as a comodity yet.

Great discussion! Thanks for chatting it up! For me, I'm not upgrading till I can go quantum. lol.

Ha.

Not even close to a fair fight. All I got is a knife. MM has guns. :smile-new:

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly what's 128 bit going to matter if we can't build our software to fully utilize it? . The 32bit backward compatibility death grip is still held onto. Technology companies from hardware to OS are running out of reasons for us to buy their products. Upgrades aren't as substantial as they once were. Things are lasting longer. Holding out on really utilizing things like 64 bit and 128bit processing is one of their last major sales boosts. They're not ready to really run as a comodity yet.

Great discussion! Thanks for chatting it up! For me, I'm not upgrading till I can go quantum. lol.

Persistant memory will come before that. No Loading!

A 32 bit float runs the same speed on 32 bit and 64 bit architecture. A 64 bit float runs far slower on 32 bit architecture because the number must be split into two 32 bit numbers and recombined afterwards for the processor to be able to handle it.

When about half of computers were running 32 bit architecture it made sense to use the lowest common denominator (metaphorically speaking).

That makes sense. On its own, it wouldn't be an issue, but with all the times it would have to do it on one update run, it could potentially cause enough of a slow down to notice in other sections that couldn't update at same rate as another part. I guess it's the price you pay wanting a game to be 32bit compatible since not everyone has that kind of system...

I kind of wonder when gaming will get away from floats, doesn't seem like most need it since other than coordinates, I never see a decimal in any kind of stat, etc. If everything went to integers, wouldn't it even clean up damage, xp, coordinates, and the rest? I've thought it weird that there's decimals in damage when a flat number works just as well and wouldn't be a loss (not going to trigger Roland, lol) of information or even the possibility. It'd also give them a larger range of numbers to use with the same amount of bits creating a larger variety. Even with how things change exponentially with levels and all with the multiplier in the code, it'd just truncate it and no issues keeping extra data. At least seems simpler that way to me. But that'd cause another overhaul of the code, more than I'd want to think of anyways beyond what they are currently overhauling. Thoughts?

At least now I'm understanding more of the issues the dev team is running into.

- - - Updated - - -

How many pages will this get to before release? We should start an over/under. I'm gonna say 3400 pages :p

Lol, I thought it was funny the whole "make it to 2,000" and now we are bare an 1/8 past that, heh. I'm hoping not too much longer, but I'll be playing A17E even with the bugs. Looking forward to all the craziness.

Sure will. Though that's kinda minor by comparison to raw computing power capability. Though, persistent memory will sure be nice between now and quantum computing if it ever comes at all!

No Way. we have plenty of power that isnt used. Its all about IO now.

Quantum is a whole new ballgame. Such Power.

No Way. we have plenty of power that isnt used. Its all about IO now.

Quantum is a whole new ballgame. Such Power.

If quantum ever becomes reality, which, is kinda grim right now afaik.

- - - Updated - - -

How many pages will this get to before release? We should start an over/under. I'm gonna say 3400 pages :p

OVER NINE THOUSAND!!

I knew somebody would question at least one part of my information, and unfortunately, I'm not going to track down the relevant posts. That was from memory, and it might be faulty. Hopefully Roland will hop in here and confirm/clarify.

What I am remembering is that Nav is increasing and (standard) RWG is decreasing such that they are closer in size.

- - - Updated - - -

What do you know? It wasn't that hard to find.

I'll probably end up playing A17 on Navezgane. I like the idea of RNG but so far it's not lived up to what I had hoped it to be. It's been a while since I played on Nav and with all the changes, I am looking forward to seeing what their hand crafted map looks like now.

I'll probably end up playing A17 on Navezgane. I like the idea of RNG but so far it's not lived up to what I had hoped it to be. It's been a while since I played on Nav and with all the changes, I am looking forward to seeing what their hand crafted map looks like now.

same here, havent played in navz since random gen came into the game, and i really miss having a base in the rad zone tbh. fun times

OMG that looks great! I hope my PC is up for the Task! So far my Graphics Card runs Hot if I dont have V-Sync activated. I cant do Max on 7 Days.

Do have an OC program like EVGA Precision so you can set your fan curve? A lot of these video cards can improve by just tweaking the fan curve. Lots run hot and suffer from thermo-throttling from the factory.

lol Didn't see anything there that talks about an apostrophe but thanks anyway :smile-new:

lol. I believe Gronk may have been attempting to raise YOUR awareness for commas and dashes as YOU'RE very helpful about raising awareness for a particular apostrophe use.

LITERALLY. (although not literally LITERALLY...) (personal pet peeve of mine - attempting to get over)

:smile-new:

An idea for the devs tp ponder.

A ground sonar device.

A placable object that scans the ground beneath say 50 to 100 blocks down and gives you a report on what ore is there

It could use shotgun shells to produce the sound wave. This makes a lot of noise and heat and takes 1 minuet to generate the report.

Archived