Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

They've now got the AI guy working on vehicles. Problem is that he gave the vehicles AI. That's why they nicknamed the 4x4 Christine. She drives around the map hunting players down to murder them. Your only hope is going to be luring her into the salvage yard and into the crusher. Good luck.

Because of floating point number precision.

Simplistic version:

My x position is 1002.34. Looks good.

My x position 10002.3. I loose the 4 .

My x position 100002. I loose the 34.

My x position 1000000. I loose the 234.

And so on as the numbers get bigger. The lower digits of positions get lost. Animations start jumping around.

Gory details:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floating-point_arithmetic

Damn Unity and its floats ;)

So, by amount of work, u are saying they can get a sequel 75 percent completely done in a year? Hahahahahahaha.

Hahahahaha

One more time...hahhaha!

An initial Alpha release if you use the same engine? Possibly. Not very likely but not out of the realm of possibility.

If you all have such a problem with this game and the way TFP does business why do you come to the forums so often?

I bounce around a lot and like it that way.

AI blood moon testing and fixing is next, but since yesterday when the testers started calling the 4x4 Christine, I decided I might want to fix exiting vehicles sometimes ragdolling you into the air and maybe killing you. Added a roof exit too, so if all 4 sides blocked you can exit above instead of inside the vehicle where physics then tosses you out.

...that actually sounds awesome, lol. I know the most fun I have in games is typically bugs. But I could see that getting annoying after the first couple of times. At first I was thinking, "wait, you can go through the roof?" then I remembered, jeep, not really fully enclosed. Curious since you do the vehicle stuff, can you get hurt while on the motorcycle? I would figure so since you're exposed to the open whereas in the jeep you are not unless you slow down/stop and they "reach in", but they couldn't just hit you while driving by unlike a motorcycle would allow.

ooooooh, maybe make a mod that adds some kind of cursed object that can take control of vehicles, or at least to put that bug back in, hehe.

Simplistic version:

And so on as the numbers get bigger. The lower digits of positions get lost. Animations start jumping around.

Gory details:

Wow, Thanks for that explanation. I never understood exactly what caused that issue other than the vague "too far from origin" I like days I actually learn something. :)

Is someone with an good understanding of this issue willing to explain it to me? Why the shaking? And please don't say b/c char is far from (0,0,0) - i got that. I want to know why is it shaking if it's far from that origin point. Also, how does the fix work? genuinely curious.

The solution is then to move the player back to a position close to the origin. (where floatingpoint numbers can be represented with higher accuracy)

But that on the other hand can cause other issues, as everything relative to the player needs to move position too (as mentioned the zombies changing the position wrong).

Easy to overlook one calculation here. Plus I wonder if the physics can cope with shifting around the rigidbodies then flawlessly.

Simplistic version:

Gory details:

I'm curious if that's because it is Unity? I'm curious because I program mainly php, javascript, and a form of C++/C# (it's a weird mix of their own) that is dealt in industrial control programs for Beckhoff. Typically I won't have issues with floating points unless I forget to convert the integer to a float point (or equivalent based on programming language) since then it just truncates the number.

I guess mainly it's because I don't realize how large the coordinates can get? Because I don't imagine them getting large enough to start losing precision in that sense since it would then start cutting off from lack of memory space based on data type.

I almost feel like we need a new sticky thread for times when people that know coding, or want to learn it, to be able to talk to you all about it, lol. Mainly for the more technical people, anyways. Though I know that'd take up more time you guys can't afford, hehe.

Pretty much every 3d game has been using floats (32 bits) for coordinates since the 90s shift from fixed point to floating point math. Someday we will all be using doubles (64 bits) and not care much. Like how we shifted from 16 bit to 32 bit ints.

Ah, that makes complete sense. So 3D games haven't really caught up with the rest of the areas that now use doubles instead of singles in that sense. Hmmm, I feel like it should have been there a long time ago, haha.

They've now got the AI guy working on vehicles. Problem is that he gave the vehicles AI. That's why they nicknamed the 4x4 Christine. She drives around the map hunting players down to murder them. Your only hope is going to be luring her into the salvage yard and into the crusher. Good luck.

Autonomous driving vehicles with anti-avoidance technology confirmed for A17

We still use floats for a reason. Floats use 4 bytes of memory, while doubles use 8. In some cases doubles are also slower.

This is true. I could see needing speed for 3D games to keep it from playing slow, lag, stuttering, etc. Especially since it's constantly updating instead of just a 1 time load or some such like most applications. I know in my controls programming, it scans every some 10ms and if it hasn't finished it's run through, it'll just start over without ever executing the rest of the code (granted most can run through a whole program in a few micro seconds, so 10ms is typically more than enough). I'm guessing it would be roughly the same for Unity. I've dabbled in Unity ever so little, so don't know the full range of what it can do. I'm guessing as faster processors and all becomes more widely available and cheaper, then it'll jump to doubles to then give an even larger playground for game programmers to play in with the precision. I could see that alone causing more issues since then the developer themselves have to be more careful and precise, haha.

Wish I had time to jump back into it and try out a bit more in Unity. It was fun while I had the time, lol.

I bounce around a lot and like it that way.

AI blood moon testing and fixing is next, but since yesterday when the testers started calling the 4x4 Christine, I decided I might want to fix exiting vehicles sometimes ragdolling you into the air and maybe killing you. Added a roof exit too, so if all 4 sides blocked you can exit above instead of inside the vehicle where physics then tosses you out.

What happens if someone encages the vehicle (and its passenger/s) within, lets say, wood frames all over, and the driver tries to exit?

Spoilsport. Fixing all the cool bugs and leaving us experimental players with only the boring bugs.

We players need to form a Society for the Conservation of Interesting Bugs, SCIB. It isn't too late, stand up for your rights to get quality bugs. Support SCIB.

Archived