Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Most importantly in A17 will we be able to turn down the volume of the Auger and chainsaw with a simple setting that doesn't affect the master volume or will I still use the workaround with a blank sound file to replace the auger/chainsaw sound?

Maybe they added earplugs in A17?

- - - Updated - - -

WHOOT !!! Just noticed we went from Tombstone :rip: to a Ghost :ghost: !!

Just an Angel :angel: to go?

Fingers crossed this weekend? :)

I never went to college. Taught myself.

I've interviewed a fair amount of programmers in my life and find about 50% could not do the job their piece of paper says they should. The other 50% go from ok to great, which is why I've never cared what school if any someone went to. My best indicator has been doing an interactive programming test with someone. Have them look at some code and tell me how it works and why.

I did not go to college for programming either, but work on my own projects and have even done Unity with C# in the past. I'll do any test you want. Hire me! Is that how it works? :D

Underground bases: make "digger" nodes. Wich represent zombies crawling though the ground (like the classic zombies who came from the grave)

They slowly home in on any active (operated) structure under the terrain layer, making a digging noise that the player can hear under ground.

Once they reach any walkable tunnel, they spawn in several zombies. Blocks get attacked directly.

The tunnels they make dont need to be actually dug out spaces (collapse behind them), to not get the gameworld turn into a swiss cheeze.

During horde night, those digger-nodes could speed up a lot.

The player can still try to actively catch them in a trap (force them to spawn by digging a hollow space towards them).

It does not require implementing fancy new mechanics for zombies to dig vertically then, once they hit a hollow space they spawn in a classic zombie entity.

Digger zeds would be awesome and maybe cave-ins as long as it doesn't affect a server like drop mining does. Maybe it would be an isolated effect that doesn't translate to everyone else on the server or something. I'm sure everyone has dug the crazy swiss cheese mine at some point, something I would never be comfortable navigating as a living, breathing mortal. Maybe you hear a shudder when the "trigger" has been met, then your game displays a cave in death sequence similar to the zed-eating-you-for-dinner sequence. This way, the game doesn't actually start calculating falling blocks. You respawn wherever, then when you re-enter your mine, it is full of "cave-in debris" blocks you have to clear?

Maybe they added earplugs in A17?

- - - Updated - - -

WHOOT !!! Just noticed we went from Tombstone :rip: to a Ghost :ghost: !!

Just an Angel :angel: to go?

Fingers crossed this weekend? :)

We'll know a few days early since Roland will contact the streamers to let them know it's coming; so some streamers will obviously mention it in a video, and the news will get around fast.

I have a friend who will be streaming A17E so I'm sure she will let me know, once she knows. I might even play with her... Maybe?!?

And I'm sure that Roland will post it here also, so we can look forward to that special weekend. Some kind of a big announcement... Breaking News... :)

In the first few days, when playing A17, I guess it might be possible to have a bear with 50 arrows stuck in him, still chasing you, because those take forever to kill when you have zero experience with the bow. :)

Of all the new features we've seen so far, the sticky arrows is my favorite. Seeing zombies coming towards Madmole with arrows stuck in them was so amazing!

- - - Updated - - -

Can u imagine the crying about safe places, id love it!!

Made me LOL big time... Thanks!

In the first few days, when playing A17, I guess it might be possible to have a bear with 50 arrows stuck in him, still chasing you, because those take forever to kill when you have zero experience with the bow. :)

Of all the new features we've seen so far, the sticky arrows is my favorite. Seeing zombies coming towards Madmole with arrows stuck in them was so amazing!

- - - Updated - - -

Made me LOL big time... Thanks!

I know, right? Of course, If arrows can stick to other embedded arrows, we could get some ludicrous arrow chains trailing off a creature. I doubt that's the case, but...

Well, lets see what they came up with threats under ground. (no concrete reveal yet?)

Anyway. The game should allow building under ground, and have this be a relatively saver place than the normal surface (takes effort to do that).

But that security should not be permanent. Not be a dominant strategy. At least not 100% as of now.

Having just the feeling of potential threat under ground should suffice. Even if its a safer retreat than the alternative over ground.

So the threat under ground could build up over time, and only be for a few days a safe retreat, until the player must think of defences.

Slowly closing in diggers can work here (player can hear them)

Building up gas or rising groundwater could work too (until the player has tech to remove that).

In the walking dead, they often had the situation that the former "base" or camp was overrun by walkers. Basically to a point where clearing it out would not make any sense. And it would be better to move somewhere else.

That could be a mechanic. The base being rushed by a horde even when the player is not in it.

From thereon the base will contain a lot of spawners/sleepers. Maybe up to a point where clearing the base makes no sense. At least not at that time.

Having both built bases above and below ground I can say you are safe either way - I've never been in any danger of base overrun in either case since the alpha where they remove the zombies ability to attack upwards.

We shall see if A17e is more dangerous to experienced survivors.

Unless you've used some kind of cheesy exploit to get a levitating base, that's likely to no longer work. According to reports about the new AI, if the zombies can't reach you because you're above them and they can't attack upwards, they'll stop targeting you and go and destroy whatever pillars/walls are holding up your base instead.

Unless you've used some kind of cheesy exploit to get a levitating base, that's likely to no longer work. According to reports about the new AI, if the zombies can't reach you because you're above them and they can't attack upwards, they'll stop targeting you and go and destroy whatever pillars/walls are holding up your base instead.

No I've never used cheese tactics like that - in fact I've never used pillars when building my base.

Not really. Just never assume there are words in a dev's statement that aren't there. Unless they use the phrase "we are planning...." go with they are just throwing out ideas.

Also, even if they do use the phrase "we are planning...", remember that this is alpha and crap happens to plans ALL the time.

Why are you telling me this? I just pointed out that, even if they were only saying ideas, there was a discrepancy between 2 statements made by the devs..

Archived