Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Oh yeah I've seen the pine forest up north, but where are the maple forest at in AZ? I didn't say Joshua trees make more sense, i said or meant I'd rather see them than snow biomes bordering the desert and maple forest. I think many other people would too.

"The Rocky Mountain maple is mostly in Utah and Arizona while the other is throughout many western and mountain states."

I get what you are saying though. Everyone thinks desert when they think AZ and Joshua trees are desert plants. I just wouldn't trade biomes for plants. I don't set up shop in the snowy biome, but I do like seeing it pop up for a change of scenery/challenge.

On the top? That lever is the charging handle. There is only one trigger.

EDIT: If you meant the small "thing" behind the magazine, that's the magazine release.

No, I was not referring to the part behind the magazine. I'm talking about on the top of the gun. There is a small pistol grip and what looks like a second trigger.

No, I was not referring to the part behind the magazine. I'm talking about on the top of the gun. There is a small pistol grip and what looks like a second trigger.

The upside-down trigger-looking thing is the charging handle that basically works the gun's bolt carrier group. It's not a trigger :)

EDIT: If you're curious, that rifle is the Chinese QBZ95 (or one of its variants). Originally chambered in their homemade "better than your 5.56" cartridges, though that's yet to be proven ;)

Noone is trying to spoil bunkers. People are just giving suggestions to expand on an existing idea and to include an element of survival into a survival game.

You can always make shallow bunkers, but deep bunkers should be an endgame sort of thing, so I'm definitely for the mentioned ideas of oxygen depletion the deeper you dig, and there have been some excellent ones on the last few pages.

Hmm... Underground 'gardens' to replenish O2 and remove CO2? Just a thought...

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, even easier:

A player is at bedrock, in an enclosed space. He needs a vent to give him/her oxygen. Game checks to ensure there's a path within a 30m (roughly) radius to a vent (direct radius is satisfactory, even if there are columns and paths blocking it. It's a good enough and a workable approximation). The game mechanics then checks that vent. Using the same code to check the radius, it asks if that vent is within a range of another vent or the open air?

A simple recursive calculation that is an approximation to realism, and would work well most of the time. It would definitely encourage players not to mess around and just build the things, even if the mechanics weren't perfect.

Considering 'space ships' would have to have some form of CO2/O2 handling system.. underground 'garden' anyone? /shrug

With chunks constantly being loaded and unloaded your cool vent suddenly has no more connection to the surface. Do you keep all those chunks loaded indefinitely? Do you flag the outlet to permanently produce fresh air? What if someone approaches from the other side and destroys the intake while the outlet is in an unloaded chunk?

If that is loaded up again it still produces fresh air indefinitely and will happily expand downwards forever after.

You either have to path from an outlet to every air block (exponential growth, big red flag) or do a simplified system of raycasts (still not trivial) or terrain-ignoring range.

You also have to check for the intakes to not be physically becoming blocked and if you want multiple intakes connected then it gets really interesting.

45 min to an hour? I'm doubtful. Even the first design meeting would be multiple times that given the number of systems that affects.

And that's only what I see at a glance. I'm sure it sounds like a great idea and easy to do if you look at a very small and specific use case.

While I think this feature is superfluous, the best way to implement it would be to copy the electricity code. Have a intake block in open air connected by ducts to various relays and vents. Just like we do with electricity. Then you have proximity buffs on vents that cancel a global underground debuff. Sounds simple. But I guess the electricity code can't be transposed as is and it would also need a lot of specific code.

My take on the underground gas/vent stuff.

Make a block that has the same texture as the stone, inserted into the layers underground. You strike the block while mining it activates an AoE buff that depletes your characters O2.

Replace the vent system and in turn have an "air scrubber unit" that needs power (this will also have an AoE to debuff the O2 depletion buff).

The "air scrubber unit" has components, that will deplete over 'X' amount of time that you need to replace (more scrubber units = more time in between that you need to replace).

Or if a vent system is a must: piggy back with the electrical mechanic and have a tool similar to wire tool,"Vent pipe tool". Has the same properties as the wire.

Connect underground duct fanA to the above ground duct fanB. Fan A or Fan B needs to be connected to a generator. The "pipe" from the Vent Pipe Tool also acts as a wire to power the whole thing.

Laying the pipe: >.> you need to collect plastic and wire.

Fan A uses an AoE buff to debuff (whatever) gas.

*I'm just looking at it from a possible mod perspective though.

Edit: With the vent pipe tool being like the electrical mechanic wire laying abilities, the system only needs to check that everything is connected periodically between all points much like having relays, generator and turrets do.

"Scrubber system"... underground 'garden'. Would have to constantly replace 'grown' plants and would have to have power somehow to give enough 'light' for the plants to grow. Would also provide a food source. Just a thought...

I'm thinking a giant angry mole to take the player out Bill Murray - City of Ember style. :apathy:

I know I keep repeating myself, but ... giant ants. All the way. Sub-terrain bunker breaching 4-foot-with-snappy-mandibles-ants with a juicy acid stinger on the arse end and a nasty hive-mentality if you threaten them. Especially if you dig into their nest or get too close to surface nest entry points. Or if they're hungry. Or bored.

If I had money I'd pay talented modders to add giant ant hives scattered around the world with tunnel networks, a queen and everything. And have them dig into player bunkers every now and then, or probably just if they have a swarming event and dig new nests ;)

Since we are trying to nerf bunker dwellers can we also add sunburn and skin cancer to those who stay above ground? What about lightning killing people above ground, or fire ants, etc.. Of course I am being facetious, but I think if people want to live at bedrock, so be it. If you don't like it don't do it.

Thats what zombies and dogs are for.

But you would know that if you ever came up from your hidey hole. :laugh:

lol, i agree

i'm all for underground threats, but the threats need teeth and claws :D

Really? I mean, yes, I agree that there should be those threats, however the sheer idea of how and where you hide should have it's own environmental hazards - especially if they aren't balanced with the threats from sharp teeth and claws.

Why is everyone trying to spoil bunkers?

Since we are trying to nerf bunker dwellers can we also add sunburn and skin cancer to those who stay above ground? What about lightning killing people above ground, or fire ants, etc.. Of course I am being facetious, but I think if people want to live at bedrock, so be it. If you don't like it don't do it.

This.

I'm just tired of playing in a biome that is completely non-threatening and unchallenging. I want TFP to add something which makes underground living/working a challenge to my gameplay.

-A

Hey TFP I have solved underground bases.

My solution is both brutally punishing and requires a minimum amount of work yet will solve your problem of big underground bases.

I'll be happy to share with you. ;)

Trapped monster roaches/ scorpions / ants in rocks. It can be a very low % that increases as you get to bedrock.

Give them a very small chance of spawining when breaking a piece of stone. As you go deeper the chance gets higher without being crazy.

This would make players think twice about underground bases being super easy and safe. Yet still reward the player after their hard work.

But wouldn't be terrible to try to code.

Thoughts any of TFP???

"Scrubber system"... underground 'garden'. Would have to constantly replace 'grown' plants and would have to have power somehow to give enough 'light' for the plants to grow. Would also provide a food source. Just a thought...

yeah, underground gardens would be a cool way to counter it and beneficial as a food source. Only issue I see with that, is having to account for each plant giving an area buff. Something to think about for sure and put into my things to try bucket.

Again I'm just looking at it as a possible mod.

Won't know for sure if any of it is possible till we all can get our hands on the new stuff :)

- - - Updated - - -

Why do some people think those who have an underground bunker just go down there and never come out. We leave to scavenge and fight hordes just as much as you overgrounders. :p

No you dont! pure and utter fantasy talk! :playful: jk

Why do some people think those who have an underground bunker just go down there and never come out. We leave to scavenge and fight hordes just as much as you overgrounders. :p

I love building bunkers and underground bases, but I think it is too easy and it makes a large part of the game irrelevant (trying to survive above ground).

I just had a suggestion that in a way would push the bunker building part of the game to be an aspect of the later game instead of it being easily achievable at the early part of the game is all.

Proper game design has a good risk / reward philosophy and I think the bunker system currently has too much reward with little / no risk what so ever.

I'm just tired of playing in a biome that is completely non-threatening and unchallenging. I want TFP to add something which makes underground living/working a challenge to my gameplay.

-A

+1

Games without limits/balance quickly get dull. Underground oxygen mechanic would add something to do and maintain in the long run, making it more interesting and challenging.

You could still build shallow bunkers without all the fuss with maintenance but you would be an easier target for digging zombies.

Archived