Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

1380883511_760338662.gif

JOEL, Can we ever get a flickering light in the game???

It's so atmospheric, especially in old buildings.

It's also logical when:

- the fuel in the generator ends

- the generator operates at the power limit

- the powerbank is discharged

- powerbank has poor quality

- the light is old and ♥♥♥♥ed up

i like this idea also when you enter house and see the chimney with the fire it should flash some light as well like a fire ;)

i like this idea also when you enter house and see the chimney with the fire it should flash some light as well like a fire ;)

Yes, some slight brightness variation i.e. "flicker" effects on campfires and torches could be nice if done well, flickering i.e. completely off and on for old lights with connection issues, and dimming for low-power lights could all be awesome to have and to help give better ambience. Each of these are different kinds of light effects, mind you, but all could have their place.

Edited by Swiftpaw (see edit history)

Now that you have a nice list of possibilities you should also know that you can create and modify any new variable you like. These are called CVars and allow you to store a single float value from anywhere to be used anywhere else. These are attached to each entity.

There are also Actions that go along with the events. These come in many flavors showing some below:

*note that [target] can be self, other, self_aoe, and other_aoe, also not that any [value] (including passive effects) can be a number, randomInt(#,#), randomFloat(#,#), or a cvar using '@CvarName'

Animation Actions:

AnimatorSetFloat [target] [property] [value]

AnimatorSetInt [target] [property] [value]

AnimatorSetBool [target] [property] [value]

AnimatorFireTrigger [target] [property] [value]

AnimatorResetTrigger [target] [property] [value]

Buff Actions:

AddBuff [target] [buff]

RemoveBuff [target] [buff]

RemoveAllNegativeBuffs - removes any buff with a damageType

CVar Actions:

ModifyCVar [target] [cvarName] [operation(add,sub,mult,div,set)] [value(#,@cvar,randomInt{#,#},randomFloat{#,#})]

DebugActions:

CVarLogValue [target] [cvarName] - outputs the value of a cvar to console

LogMessage [message] - Logs a message to console

EntityActions:

DoRagdoll [target] [duration]

AttachParticleEffectToEntity [target] [particleName] [parent_transform] [local_offset] [local_rotation]

RemoveParticleFromEntity [target] [particleName]

AttachPrefabToEntity [target] [prefab] [parent_transform] [local_offset] [local_rotation]

ItemActions:

AttachPrefabToHeldItem [target] [prefab] [local_position] [local_rotation]

ScreenEffectActions:

SetScreenEffect [target] [screenEffectName] [intensity]

SoundActions:

PlaySound [target] [sound] [local_only] [play_in_head_only]

StopSound [target] [sound]

FadeOutSound [target] [sound]

StatActions:

ModifyStat [target] [stat] [operation] [value]

Wonderful stuff there, this is THE feature of A17 by a wide margin.

Two questions about CVars:

1) the target "other" means the other in onSelfDamagedOther. But does it also mean the block in onSelfPlaceBlock for example, or the item in onSelfItemGained ?

2) In ModifyCVar you have a target specifier. Can you also specify a target when using the @CvarName as a [value] ? If yes, in the case of multiple targets is that value then the average, the max, min, always 0, just a random one or can it be specified?

Yes, some slight brightness variation and flicker effects on campfires and torches could be nice if done well, flickering for old lights with connection issues, and dimming for low-power lights could all be awesome to have and to help give better ambience. Each of these are different kinds of light effects, mind you, but all could have their place.

oh yeah.

1380883511_760338662.gif

JOEL, Can we ever get a flickering light in the game???

It's so atmospheric, especially in old buildings.

It's also logical when:

- the fuel in the generator ends

- the generator operates at the power limit

- the powerbank is discharged

- powerbank has poor quality

- the light is old and ♥♥♥♥ed up

:)

I still say that we need colonies of mutated ants who live in the underground and dig around, multiplying until their hives reach quite a size, to get some action in those caves! And sometimes, they dig into a Player's bunker... and if you dig into their nest, you got some tunnels to explore, some big ants to fry (Madmole! Proteins! PROTEINS!) and probably can find stashes of stuff they collected but have no use for.

Vote "THEM!" 2018! Or Graboids. They'd probably make desert biomes a lot of fun :D

Edit:

Also, no Dev answered my questions regarind the RNG Maps being able to be resized "later" with the workaround to create the map with the same seed again, just larger, and then copy over the older, smaller map into the larger save so "transfer" all player created content :) In fact I think that should be a server feature (increase map by x * y) ;)

Edited by Gilthanaz (see edit history)

Greetings

Quote: "+Zombies can dig downward when they detect a target below them. 4/26/18

This has me a little concerned. How many blocks down will this be? Though I am not a mole digging Hobbit holes to live in as I do prefer the sunshine I also do like to sometimes spend the night doing my mining uninterrupted. Are the zombies going to start using augers to beeline to my night time coal face? :crushed:

P.S. Don't take my comment about augers literally! :strawberry:

Greetings

This has me a little concerned. How many blocks down will this be? Though I am not a mole digging Hobbit holes to live in as I do prefer the sunshine I also do like to sometimes spend the night doing my mining uninterrupted. Are the zombies going to start using augers to beeline to my night time coal face? :crushed:

Confirmed: Zombies can use augers.

Greetings

Itll be on a detection basis, so if they hear you because you are near the surface, they will start coming for you. On a blood moon same thing if thats the path, they’ll take it. But if you are like 40 blocks down, they arent going to be walking around with sound detection or anything :p

@Kinyuajuu With the way the updated RWG works, there is no way to preview the map before it generates anymore? For my dedis I like to preview the map just to see the lay of the land, this will no longer be possible and I have to generate a whole map for a preview and if we even get a preview? It was nice being able to have an idea of what the world looked like before it was generated. If you could let me know if this is correct I would appreciate it. Thanks.

The only thing a Fun Pimps should post from here forward is ... Its done and being released.... Unless that is So... PLEASE GET OFF THE FORUMS AND FIX THE FREAKEN GAME!!

What if they're waiting for their latest changes to upload and their choices are stretch and relax for 20 minutes or come on here and answer a few questions for 20 minutes? Are you still banning them then....?

The only thing a Fun Pimps should post from here forward is ... Its done and being released.... Unless that is So... PLEASE GET OFF THE FORUMS AND FIX THE FREAKEN GAME!!

if they do, 10 other people will complain a lack of information here. I for my part think it's great they keep us in the loop to some extent.