Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Item Descriptions CONFIRMED updated for A17!! Wooo!

Hype Hype Choo Choo!

Yeah when I seen madmoles a17 play I was wondering where the heck item stats and such were on them.. and now I finally notice that 4 bar icon which is a icon many games use for stats.. Never noticed it till now. Any idea if you can default it to show the stats over description?

Good point. We could also combine the firearms into "gun" and the various clubs, knives, and such into "melee weapon". It would make the game a lot less confusing.

If that's still too much we still have the option of combining those two into "weapon" which then has a melee and ranged attack.

If you can get it down to a 2 minute game where you just click the mouse button until the screen lights up with a dancing "WIN!" sign and cheering zombies, that'd be great... M'kay?

Sure and while at it, why don't they dumb the game down to the point of a simple side scroller?

Removing a bit of silly clutter doesn't hurt. On the other side, fusing those 4-5 "parts" items into 1 item can help balace them, as in A16 I make a fortune off those mechanical/electrical/circutboard/plastic parts. Once I get a good wrench I have a habit of wrenching every car, air conditioner, or electronuic device I see, as those parts=shiny coins. Course I keep about 40-50 of each for my own needs but the rest? all sold to traders to make bank.

Removing a bit of silly clutter doesn't hurt. On the other side, fusing those 4-5 "parts" items into 1 item can help balace them, as in A16 I make a fortune off those mechanical/electrical/circutboard/plastic parts. Once I get a good wrench I have a habit of wrenching every car, air conditioner, or electronuic device I see, as those parts=shiny coins. Course I keep about 40-50 of each for my own needs but the rest? all sold to traders to make bank.

Oh, stop that, your problem is easily solvable with mods, no need to force such change on everyone just because you like it to be different.

On a serious note though, this is nothing a good balance wouldn't solve. All they need to do is do a proper balancing for the final version of the game, but without every single item being in the game, it's not really that easy to balance everything properly.

IMHO Looting is great fun.. add more loot items make it hard , make it realistic.. It is a crafting survival game after all.

Most of these parts you generally get from wrenching stuff, finding them in the world is not that common, Only semi-reliable source for actually just looting them is 1-3 mechanical parts off a skater punk zombie. I'm not a fan of mods that over-complicate stuff because alot of the times it just feels like they are making it complicated just because they can and it doesn't make much sense. Its fine when its done well, but most mods just have no real sense of how to do it right. I mostly hate it because it just causes it to eat inventory space with no other real purpose I can see.

Oh, stop that, your problem is easily solvable with mods, no need to force such change on everyone just because you like it to be different.

Oh I know, I am just saying my opinion on it. I just don't view having 4-5 diff misc-parts items as needed, I never did. One would have been sufficent for everything I think. I've never modded it in myself due to all the time it'd take: making a new item, editing recipies, loot, blocks, probally a few other xml's to combine the 4-5 into 1. I will admit it still annoys me to this day, but i've learned to live with it now a days, still bugs me, just not nearly as much as it did when I first started the game.

Why do we need more incentive to raid a Crack-A-Book anyway?

Incentive for books:

Skill

Sell for money

Scrap for other items.

Used to add skill point if the player re-read it but that was taken out in Alpha-15 (I think).

No. Forcing the player to consume a skill book every-time they make a weapon does not increase the incentive, it only makes it more complicated than it needs to be.

- - - Updated - - -

Well if they took books out, which is what that conversation is about... there would be no books to sell or get skills from.

So... this means that A17 will be bug free, right? RIGHT?

:glee:

Only in your dreams, be nice if it could happen, but getting a completly bug free thing out for anything is probally nearly impossible, especally on PC with the crazy amount of configurations there are. A16 has some bugs even today, but most of them are minor or very rare so you don't notice em.

Of course not. They are "purposely" leaving a whole list of bugs for us to find and let us think that it was us who helped them to squash them.

I dunno man, some bugs i've seen in some games just make me go "how the hell did this get past internal testing with it being this common and easy to reproduce?" A recent example in No Man's Sky the melee boost jump thing, wasn't working with any 2 handed multitool till a very recent patch. To do it you melee while moving forward then hit space on pc to use the jetpack and it shoots you forward like a bullet. For the longest time it was broke with anything 2 handed. Finally got fixed in a patch a few days ago.

When a game ships with those kinds of bugs I just shake my head, if its that super common it should never have made it to the live/release/public beta/alpha/test version at all.

You think that would be a good idea?

It would certainly be great for FPS because the 3D math required for pathing and stability calculations is a lot more complex than doing it in 2D. Same with water physics. Much much easier to pull off in 2D.

Yeah, then you can go mobile!

...please no.

2 Quick questions that I have missed the answer to somewhere... 1. How many people can ride in the Jeep? 2.Have they announced the stream event date? I wanna watch!

1) Two eventually, one right now. The two people in a jeep has desync issues the last I heard.

2) No they haven't

I dunno man, some bugs i've seen in some games just make me go "how the hell did this get past internal testing with it being this common and easy to reproduce?" A recent example in No Man's Sky the melee boost jump thing, wasn't working with any 2 handed multitool till a very recent patch. To do it you melee while moving forward then hit space on pc to use the jetpack and it shoots you forward like a bullet. For the longest time it was broke with anything 2 handed. Finally got fixed in a patch a few days ago.

When a game ships with those kinds of bugs I just shake my head, if its that super common it should never have made it to the live/release/public beta/alpha/test version at all.

Honestly, I didn't mind. I used that glitch a lot just to not wait so damn long to walk around. You just zap one crystal then go to another which is so far away that you're already bored by the time when you get there.

You think that would be a good idea?

It would certainly be great for FPS because the 3D math required for pathing and stability calculations is a lot more complex than doing it in 2D. Same with water physics. Much much easier to pull off in 2D.

Well, it depends on what TFP want to do with their fan base and the game itself? Do they want to make the majority of their fan base lose interest in the game? That would be certainly one of the ways to achieve that.

Well if they took books out, which is what that conversation is about... there would be no books to sell or get skills from.

So don't take skill books out. Just leave them alone and they will be fine. We don't need any more incentive to go to a store. I mean why do we need to go to some store that we may or may don't want to anyway? Do TFP's get brownie points for how many times players

visit Crack-A-Book? No.

Why do we need to consume a book every single time we make a weapon? Are we making guns out of paper now?

What's next, paper made bullets? Do we need a skill book to make each and every bullet now? Come on people.

What if TFP's made a store that sold socks? Are they going to get together and think. "Gee! We made this really cool sock store but how do we get players to visit?"

"I know" says one of them." We will make it so the player needs them in order to make guns and tools!" Really?

So far I have listened and read these post and haven't found a single reason as to why we need to consume a skill book every time we make a weapon.

Frankly, I don't even understand why it's consumed once you read it. I mean people don't eat books. Well maybe some of TFP's do, but most people don't. They just read them and put them on the shelf or throw them away.

But why consume them at all when you can:

Sell them.

Scrap them for paper which is needed for other things like shotgun shells and TNT.

Share them with other players. That would be nice.

I mean this is a post apoplectic game. Your not going to find a printing press chucking these out.

But if you really wanted to have the skill book consumed and wanted more incentive. You could make it so any new skill books you find add to your skill level.

For example: If you found two skill books on how to make first aid kits. You could use the first one to learn how to make them and the second one to increase your skill in medicine. This was something that we had in the game but did away with for some reason.

So don't take skill books out. Just leave them alone and they will be fine. We don't need any more incentive to go to a store. I mean why do we need to go to some store that we may or may don't want to anyway? Do TFP's get brownie points for how many times players

visit Crack-A-Book? No.

Why do we need to consume a book every single time we make a weapon? Are we making guns out of paper now?

What's next, paper made bullets? Do we need a skill book to make each and every bullet now? Come on people.

What if TFP's made a store that sold socks? Are they going to get together and think. "Gee! We made this really cool sock store but how do we get players to visit?"

"I know" says one of them." We will make it so the player needs them in order to make guns and tools!" Really?

So far I have listened and read these post and haven't found a single reason as to why we need to consume a skill book every time we make a weapon.

Frankly, I don't even understand why it's consumed once you read it. I mean people don't eat books. Well maybe some of TFP's do, but most people don't. They just read them and put them on the shelf or throw them away.

But why consume them at all when you can:

Sell them.

Scrap them for paper which is needed for other things like shotgun shells and TNT.

Share them with other players. That would be nice.

I mean this is a post apoplectic game. Your not going to find a printing press chucking these out.

But if you really wanted to have the skill book consumed and wanted more incentive. You could make it so any new skill books you find add to your skill level.

For example: If you found two skill books on how to make first aid kits. You could use the first one to learn how to make them and the second one to increase your skill in medicine. This was something that we had in the game but did away with for some reason.

I personally thought the whole skill leveling up was a great solution for book spam.

First book teaches you a skill each later book leveled it up.

It worked best with 100 levels in archery medical guns and melee though

It will be fascinating to watch how long it takes for them to read the item description.

Hmm. I have clicked on this item and there are all these letters on the screen in the description box. Somehow the context menu doesn't let me read it, though! Gawd, I wish there was some game feature that could tell me what the damn item does! So frustrating!

Is that how you see streamers?

I laughed out loud when I read this. That is very true. Not many people spend the time and attention to detail on things they "think" they already know. I can see it now... A17e bug report forum is going to be full of, "I can't read the books anymore. Can you fix this bug please?"

hmmm.. YEa, first we take out streamers from the math and then we get A17exp , right? Then we need to find person to cough cough "take care" of streamers? start raising funds guys

Yeah I feel they should release it to all at the same time, let the $treamer$ still do their stream but don't kick old fans like me in the balls by making me wait while some asshat streams it for a few days.

Archived