Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

no, you dont.. but i would imagine you might after a big content update

Not really. I would if I saw that it's not working, obviously. But if it's the same item and the same name my first reflex would still be to use it in the usual way. You know, if you find a pistol, you'll still try to fire with it the same way even after a big content update.

It will be fascinating to watch how long it takes for them to read the item description.

Is that how you see streamers?

lol, one would hope that people read descriptions or signs, but from my experience with players that is rarely the case xd . Streamers have a lot going on, all their viewers chatting, it would be very normal for them to try and read a schem first, before going to figure out why they cant read it.

lol, one would hope that people read descriptions or signs, but from my experience with players that is rarely the case xd . Streamers have a lot going on, all their viewers chatting, it would be very normal for them to try and read a schem first, before going to figure out why they cant read it.

I see no problem in that. Heck most long term players dont even know that you can stack painkiller usage for stun prevention. That has been in forever. So if a streamer has to read description cause old ways were different its only good to expose the changes. Dunno if you meant "IT WILL HAPPEN!!!" in a positive way though ;)

Cheers

Dunno if you meant "IT WILL HAPPEN!!!" in a positive way though ;)

Sitting back eating popcorn as I said in my first post, would only indicate its entertainment right? lol

Nothing wrong with change, or opinions on change, I am sure there are many more changes to come, and i dont mind joining in the convo about them

Edit to add

Part of my post was in wonder about all schems tho

The issue is some schems will be readable, and some wont, for example, I am assuming you can still read a gas can schem? or a first aid schem? does it take a minibike schem to craft a minibike I wonder?

I actually really like this idea, no compass unless you find one, no day timer unless you find a watch, need to get a calendar to try and track which day it is... that type of stuff makes sense, and actually adds a lot of immersion I think without it being a huge pain.

Having to find/craft a compass and find a watch is a feature I (and my game fellows) have been thinking would be a great thing to implement.

It would make the early game so much more interesting when one would really have to remember where one's been and make signposts and whatnot. Ofcourse then the map would need to be an item to find/craft aswell.

(still hoping for a revisit of the map system too, with some sort of maproom-workbench to share mapdata with others)

-Holo-

I actually really like this idea, no compass unless you find one, no day timer unless you find a watch, need to get a calendar to try and track which day it is... that type of stuff makes sense, and actually adds a lot of immersion I think without it being a huge pain.

Oh yeah....perhaps even with animations, like bringing up the wrist with the watch...

oh and the same for maps... maybe you just need some paper to craft it, but the map as a item ( that could probably be exchanged with players) would be awesome.

Having to find/craft a compass and find a watch is a feature I (and my game fellows) have been thinking would be a great thing to implement.

It would make the early game so much more interesting when one would really have to remember where one's been and make signposts and whatnot. Ofcourse then the map would need to be an item to find/craft aswell.

(still hoping for a revisit of the map system too, with some sort of maproom-workbench to share mapdata with others)

-Holo-

Hanging around a prominent landmark for your friend because neither of you have a satellite map, GPS and clock on you at all times?

It'll be like the nineties all over again.

Stick + grass + Nokia 3310 = Legendary stone axe.

Hanging around a prominent landmark for your friend because neither of you have a satellite map, GPS and clock on you at all times?

It'll be like the nineties all over again.

Stick + grass + Nokia 3310 = Legendary stone axe.

How did we survive back then? (I say the same thing when people worry about me not having my mobile when I drive across town. "How will you call us if your car breaks down?" The same way I would have before mobile phones were invented.)

Helpful recipes that saved my life in the last apocalypse (yes, I'm that old).

1) Exotic drink umbrella + squirrel cage + squirrel + Duct tape + chair = Gyro-copter.

2) Jar + Gold coins - Jar = Win!

3) Beer + Swedish Bikini team + International Space Station = Double Dog Win!

Hope this helps understanding A17 better.

Hey Kinyajuu! Do you think players will think alpha 17 was worth the wait?

I've enjoyed A11 and A15 alot. Oh boy, Alpha 11 was the biggest challenge for me, I enjoyed these random gigantic hordes SO MUCH. Alpha 16 was pure piece of crap and after i watched the joel huenink A17 video, i think it's going to be even bigger crap. (1k dislikes on video, only 4.7k likes ?!)

Problem of this game is it looks like developers arent trying anymore to get more people into playing it. It looks like they're done with it.

I am definitely going to try early-A17 when it comes out, but it just doesn't look promising... :/

Well, I'm absolutely gonna try the E version. If for no other reason that to see if the 16gb barf bug from unity is indeedy gone. (linux)

I DO hope y'all have tested that already. I will throw my beer empties at ya if it's still there.

(what, throw full ones? um, no, that would be sharing the beer. no.) :p

If you haven't tested it under linux, A) no biscuit for you!, B) gimme and I'll do it.

(one box with 32gb ram, this puppy has twice that, only because I couldn't find a mobo that would do 128gb.)

oh, and before anyone asks why so much ram... because I CAN! :D

A lot of the other stuff does look like fun, and some of the noted bugfixes are going to be very very welcome (no more endless cops for one), but the mem crash thing is really, really, REALLY annoying.

Why do we need more incentive to raid a Crack-A-Book anyway?

Incentive for books:

Skill

Sell for money

Scrap for other items.

Used to add skill point if the player re-read it but that was taken out in Alpha-15 (I think).

No. Forcing the player to consume a skill book every-time they make a weapon does not increase the incentive, it only makes it more complicated than it needs to be.

- - - Updated - - -

how about maybe learning a copy should give you a skill point.

Why do we need more incentive to raid a Crack-A-Book anyway?

Incentive for books:

Skill

Sell for money

Scrap for other items.

Used to add skill point if the player re-read it but that was taken out in Alpha-15 (I think).

No. Forcing the player to consume a skill book every-time they make a weapon does not increase the incentive, it only makes it more complicated than it needs to be.

- - - Updated - - -

Personally, i like the idea of consuming a book to craft a weapon. After day 144 i have a full container of stacked weapons because parts are so easy to find. This will make weapons rarer.

It will be fascinating to watch how long it takes for them to read the item description.

Hmm. I have clicked on this item and there are all these letters on the screen in the description box. Somehow the context menu doesn't let me read it, though! Gawd, I wish there was some game feature that could tell me what the damn item does! So frustrating!

Is that how you see streamers?

Item Descriptions CONFIRMED updated for A17!! Wooo!

Hype Hype Choo Choo!

Good point. We could also combine the firearms into "gun" and the various clubs, knives, and such into "melee weapon". It would make the game a lot less confusing.

If that's still too much we still have the option of combining those two into "weapon" which then has a melee and ranged attack.

Sure and while at it, why don't they dumb the game down to the point of a simple side scroller?

Archived