Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Traders not wanting to sell you something makes no sense. Maybe trying to rip you off is fine, but not selling at all like a secret stash? Ludacris. (Wow, Google correct...)

The trader issue is whether or not they buy all your crap. They shouldn't. Their inventory should come strictly from trading, I.e. you get me this and I'll give you that. Period. Coins are stupid, it's the apocalypse.

ANY complex creation, like guns, should give you a low base chance for success... And books increase that chance. More books, more chance. This sounds doable in a17 if I'm understanding the buff system correctly.

So, books can be used, but "spent" once read. So a set of say 7 books would net you 70% success. Found another book 1? Oh well, keep looking.

...we have the increased block and item id counts, let's not waste them.

I'd prefer descriptive words over any numbering, myself.

shoddy

poor

standard

good

excellent

or something to that effect.

Too many variables, just go with good / bad! Its easier for those of us who are dumb

- - - Updated - - -

Just stopping in to say I love you guys, each of you individually, and as a whole.

That wont get you into A17!

I like this game and have been patient with the development even when I did not like it. I would express my opinion about things that I did not agree with but then let it go if it got nowhere.

So I will be blunt, if this games developers think that this crazy idea of consuming a skill book every time a player makes a weapon is a great idea. Then I am all for moding it out of the game.

We have discussed that concept before. Hordes finding underground entrances. Maybe A18 after a lot of testing and feedback on underground playing.

Glad to hear it! Would be a great feature to see along with the water system overhaul and farming etc!

A18 sounds like it will really stack up nicely, and I'm really happy to hear you guys took the effort to get A17 to the point it is now, I image starting from scratch and rebuilding the game using unity 2018 must have been a hard choice.

Reminds me of the days back when Doom3 was announced 10 years prior and everyone was wondering what happened. Just don't try to redo the whole game again if a fancy new engine comes along... =P

EDIT: The multiple core utilization alone was worth the switch

I like this game and have been patient with the development even when I did not like it. I would express my opinion about things that I did not agree with but then let it go if it got nowhere.

So I will be blunt, if this games developers think that this crazy idea of consuming a skill book every time a player makes a weapon is a great idea. Then I am all for moding it out of the game.

For me it's about "isn't there a better way?", and several have been suggested that are already better than disappearing books.

I hope whatever gazz's plan is, is awesome.

Too many variables, just go with good / bad! Its easier for those of us who are dumb

- - - Updated - - -

That wont get you into A17!

Well, I take it back then... I lied.

On the book to build guns subject. Its completely realistic. I mean.. any reasonable person who reads a schematic book and uses it to build a gun in zombie apocalypse is definitely going to throw away the book and look for new one for the next time he or she needs to refer to it.

amIrite?

Well, I take it back then... I lied.

On the book to build guns subject. Its completely realistic. I mean.. any reasonable person who reads a schematic book and uses it to build a gun in zombie apocalypse is definitely going to throw away the book and look for new one for the next time he or she needs to refer to it.

amIrite?

I have magazines I need to throw away after I'm done reading them... totally realistic.

Traders not wanting to sell you something makes no sense. Maybe trying to rip you off is fine, but not selling at all like a secret stash? Ludacris. (Wow, Google correct...)

snipped out the bit i actively dislike. the idea would just make traders into storage that you need to trade with to get your stuff back.

ANY complex creation, like guns, should give you a low base chance for success... And books increase that chance. More books, more chance. This sounds doable in a17 if I'm understanding the buff system correctly.

So, books can be used, but "spent" once read. So a set of say 7 books would net you 70% success. Found another book 1? Oh well, keep looking.

...we have the increased block and item id counts, let's not waste them.

ooooooh. what IF traders offered to sell you purple weapons, but you actually get green? realistic salesman simulator :check: outraged players :check:

and i want to add a bit to my approval of the book consumption: i said i like rarity as a crafting gate. what i don't like is rng for rare items. i prefer difficulty. i want to know (roughly) where the thing i need is, and i want to know that i cannot get it unless i build up my strength to earn it. eg: terrarria. i know how to get titanium ore. i also know that i cannot get it day one. i need to work my way up (or in this case: down) to it.

maybe placing certain high end weapons only in difficult military bases and placing the books for high end weapons only behind ferals in the book hq?

idk. i'm to astubid to have gud IDas.

Honestly, I just always eat in the morning when I get up and at night when I get safe and that works just fine to keep me fed and hydrated. I like having no compass or day number or time displayed a well. You easily lose track of time and get into dangerous situations.

We need a sound when the character is completely full, like it ))) :

NO! For color deficient people, like me (yellow/green), I want numbers. You show me colors and they better be extremely different. I don't want to be going is that orange or yellow or green? I can tell if I look close or if side by side, but it slows me down.

My uncle has bad problems with greens. They look gray to him.

The best system to me is a large variation in both primary color and intensity.

For the record I would like to keep the numbers. 7 Days' method of color representing quality is not the same as other games so I would constantly be looking up the color order.

I thought it was said somewhere that they were place holders, hence the assumption.

I can also totally appreciate how hard that would be to distinguish between the colors.

Glad to hear they are staying in!

I actually really like this idea, no compass unless you find one, no day timer unless you find a watch, need to get a calendar to try and track which day it is... that type of stuff makes sense, and actually adds a lot of immersion I think without it being a huge pain.

I love this idea! In the beginning (before you found a calendar) you could make a wooden sign and keep a tally of the days so you know when the blood moon is coming :)

now these magazines... would they provide valuable information for a post apocalyptic situation? or various maxim issues?

either way, learn to hoard!

My collection is every issue of Playboy, during their non-nude period, of course.

Totally different subject...Why is there no tissues in this game?

I actually really like this idea, no compass unless you find one, no day timer unless you find a watch, need to get a calendar to try and track which day it is... that type of stuff makes sense, and actually adds a lot of immersion I think without it being a huge pain.

Its called "games that make sense"....very few developers dare to work with this mystic concept, even fewer gamers will play them because then games will be like in the 80s and 90s, that is challenging and difficult.

I love this idea! In the beginning (before you found a calendar) you could make a wooden sign and keep a tally of the days so you know when the blood moon is coming :)

It honestly does fit in an immersive way and satisfies those people that think the UI is too much currently.

I think it would be great actually to have a fully expandable UI that is based on you having the correct tools and items to have those UI options available. You can make them part of the character screen where you equip items so they aren't taking up space they shouldn't be.

As far as keeping track of time without a calendar, that will be up to the players to decide how to do that, I think a few options like moving the number or items from one stack to another would be a cool way to do it, but people need to think for themselves and come up with clever ways to survive.

- - - Updated - - -

Its called "games that make sense"....very few developers dare to work with this mystic concept, even fewer gamers will play them because then games will be like in the 80s and 90s, that is challenging and difficult.

I would disagree with the few players would play them, considering how much of an appetite there is for these types of games, I think the gaming community as a whole has a huge appetite for challenging and thought provoking games since we are now grown up from the DOOM2 days and need something a bit more substantial to fill that appetite.

My 2 cents on the consume books on crafting guns thing:

If the concern is that schematics/books become useless after once read, I'd rather see them removed completely and replaced with an NPC trainer system. Trainers could have a chance to spawn in Trader settlements (obviously needs a certain guarantee they spawn at least once on a map) and could impart the knowledge on maintenance and creating of a gun in exchange for money or for doing a quest for 'em. You'd still have somewhat the randomness you had with rng-spawns of schems that way. And one truly useless item gone.

As for gating how many guns are crafted.... maybe going for generic ingredients is not the way there obviously. But we already have PERFECTLY GOOD and sensible individual parts of all guns in the game that for whatever reason are done away with now! (Muh optimisation. Muh new content needs room. Pick your choose.) Those are actually ingredients that can have their individual spawn rates adjusted just as you could with schems.

But no let's instead remove those and have a crafting process where I wrap the schematic around the gun? Stuff it in the gun's barrel? Eat it while I assemble the gun? Sorry, but that's cheesy as feck.

Edit: Thinking about how Cracka Books POI would become useless with removing schems:

Replace individual schems with generic (and stackable!) books, which the abovementioned trainers want in certain numbers for the knowledge they teach?

i sense...that 72% of people are going to be upset next weekend when streamers get to play the new alpha.

you heard it here first. 100% official announcement from someone that has 0% official knowledge and ~11% credibility BUT is pretty good at guessing 100% accurately 50% of the time!

-the oracle

i sense...that 72% of people are going to be upset next weekend when streamers get to play the new alpha.

you heard it here first. 100% official announcement from someone that has 0% official knowledge and ~11% credibility BUT is pretty good at guessing 100% accurately 50% of the time!

-the oracle

I can give 99% assurance to that 72% that they won't be upset next weekend.

Archived