Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

The hold up isn't from the Unity update, or staring contests between the art director, moderators and devs. (The moderator blinks too much.) It is entirely Gazz' fault. After having cable run to his mobile home in Antarctica, he forgot to bring an adaptor for his Commadore 64. Good job, Gazz......

MM was speaking about the stuff he works on, art and design. In this case art. Shaders also had issues, which is 1 programmer and the technical artists. I'll give you 1 day of delay when each of us installed the newer Unity, imported the project and tested it.

This is a software and communication issue overall. Now, I'm going off of memory, but Madmole did phrase the Unity Update as an upgrade/improvement. What I'm almost positive he didn't communicate well (though he maaay have briefly touched on it with a few words) is that the Unity Update was directly being used to resolve issues that were already in the pipe. Issues that needed *something* to be done to fix them. And Unity, it sounds like from what you're saying faatal, is one direction chosen to help fix some of the issues you guys were working on.

So... If you get a message from a developer saying:

"We updated Unity! It's now super awesome in a bunch of ways! Here's some of them!"... Sounds like you added Unity for the sake of doing cool upgrades... more along the lines of a new feature.

But if you hear a developer saying:

"We've found that some of our issues are best addressed by simply updating Unity."

Well... that just sounds like you're fixing your issues. *shrug* The lack of additional commenting makes all the difference in the world. But... also nerfs your ability to share the good news that comes with it. What'cha gonna do.

Catch 22 full of devil spit'n details.

Thanks as usual for your comments faatal.

Programmers tend to have their own areas. Bugs in an area is usually fixed by that programmer. Overlap can and does occur, but you tend to loose efficiency, since you have to figure out someone else's code first and hope you don't make other bugs if you miss details of how the code works and relates to other code.

Your wording has got my curiosity. Do your engineers practice TDD? If not, why not? Albeit even without answering why it explains why the development takes so much time.

Don't forget the sub sub biomes. We now have ant hills and the like. ABC18 will even have microscopic biomes. You won't be able to see them, but trust me, they are there.

Do you think you could maybe quickly get in some code so that objects like (doors drawbridges) can be activated by electricity? : ) : )

Don't forget the sub sub biomes. We now have ant hills and the like. ABC18 will even have microscopic biomes. You won't be able to see them, but trust me, they are there.

faatal just confirmed that a grain of salt counts as a biome now!

Haha love it! <3

It won't be long before people are making mountains out of those ant hills.

Yes, because nothing screams "post apocalyptic" like bicycle recognition technology. =)

lol... Ass. In MY post apocalyptic world we have flying cars. So bike recognition should be pretty straight forward. :-p

- - - Updated - - -

What is ABC18?

Alt-Guppycur Bowel Cleanser... Model 18 (took a lot of revisions...)

Archived