Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I know the corpse loot fetish is gone, but MM mentions a bag would drop if a Z had loot. I didn't see one at all in the MM videos. Can someone give a swag at the percentage of bags that one would see per, say 100 Zs?

no idea but its rare...

oh. i had both awards . first post in 2000 and 30k post.... hehehehe , happy labor day

edit: AND THE LAST POST IN 2000 .HOW COOL IS THAT

We're here! What do we win?

(I'm putting this here as a preemptive blame of Roland for watching the thread inch toward 2000 only to delete some posts right when a person attempts to claim page 2000.)

Edit: Damn.

Come on! Now this post just looks really stupid back on page 1998! At least put a marker in it that it was the first post on page 2000.

honestly i never understood why zombies had loot to begin with. always seemed kinda weird to me, besides looting 500 zombies was kinda ridiculous. took wayyyyy too much time. although i would love if they brought back gore piles

When have you ever had 500 zombies dead on the screen at once? I'll tell you, never.

With 2 other people looting and axing a full day 49+ horde took till noon the next day and was a fun reward for fighting off the horde rather than ignoring it.

Zombies had loot because there is supposed to be an incentive for combat as there is in nearly every game created. Also, multiplayer with small maps and static loot does not work.

It was basic design zombies we're in infinite source of loot for players once all the buildings were looted. Things like brass, glue, paper, fertilizer and I'm sure a few more I missed are going to be very difficult to balance without zombie loot.

All it takes is 1 person destroying loot containers in a town to break the game for multiplayer without zombie loots.

When have you ever had 500 zombies dead on the screen at once? I'll tell you, never.

With 2 other people looting and axing a full day 49+ horde took till noon the next day and was a fun reward for fighting off the horde rather than ignoring it.

Zombies had loot because there is supposed to be an incentive for combat as there is in nearly every game created. Also, multiplayer with small maps and static loot does not work.

It was basic design zombies we're in infinite source of loot for players once all the buildings were looted. Things like brass, glue, paper, fertilizer and I'm sure a few more I missed are going to be very difficult to balance without zombie loot.

All it takes is 1 person destroying loot containers in a town to break the game for multiplayer without zombie loots.

1) None of this negates Sy Tarn's opinion. (Just as all of my rebuttals do not negate opinions. My rebuttals do call into question the veracity of underlying assumptions.)

2) Is that why zombies had loot? (I'm unaware.) The incentive for combat in linear games is to win the game, not some in-game reward.

3) The rest of your post sounds like something the admin of a server will have to address, not TFP.

1) None of this negates Sy Tarn's opinion. (Just as all of my rebuttals do not negate opinions. My rebuttals do call into question the veracity of underlying assumptions.)

2) Is that why zombies had loot? (I'm unaware.) The incentive for combat in linear games is to win the game, not some in-game reward.

3) The rest of your post sounds like something the admin of a server will have to address, not TFP.

1 I didn't say it negated it.

2 Are you saying this is a linear game? It is not if you have played it you would know that ... Regardless or linear or not nearly all, and I mean +95% of games that have loot and have combat have enemies that drop loot. One could very easily argue the fact that since the vast majority of all combat games with loot contain drops from enemies it's probably a popular mechanic.

3 Typically game creators take a few steps to avoid allowing a single person to destroy the enjoyment of others. If you feel that the fun pips should just pass the buck on that. Once again we clearly have VERY VERY different expectations.

1 I didn't say it negated it.

2 Are you saying this is a linear game? It is not if you have played it you would know that ... Regardless or linear or not nearly all, and I mean +95% of games that have loot and have combat have enemies that drop loot. One could very easily argue the fact that since the vast majority of all combat games with loot contain drops from enemies it's probably a popular mechanic.

3 Typically game creators take a few steps to avoid allowing a single person to destroy the enjoyment of others. If you feel that the fun pips should just pass the buck on that. Once again we clearly have VERY VERY different expectations.

1. You didn't say it, but your first two paragraphs were direct attempts at contradiction...of an opinion.

2. Did I say that this is a linear game? You said "there is supposed to be an incentive for combat as there is in nearly every game created." I was pointing out that this isn't true for most linear games (which themselves comprise "most games"). Now you have defined your argument more narrowly. That this mechanic is widely used among the narrower category might mean that it is popular. At the same time, the popularity of this mechanic doesn't mean that it should be in this game.

3. Interesting that you should bring that up. The change to significantly minimize zombie loot and remove the gore blocks is an attempt to avoid allowing a single person to destroy the enjoyment of others through the duping bug.

I am saying, however, that they do not have the responsibility to police all exploits which people might think up. Your examples fall into that category of things which have passed out of TFP's hands and into the hands of the server admins. (After all, those things aren't a problem for single and co-op players.)

With the new extra distant trees rendering (with smaller 'sprites <- since I dont know the proper word). Do we get something like that for player build "poi's" too?

There's been no mention of this happening that I can recall. It's not something that's just turned off for performance; it would have to be implemented as a genuine new feature.

Alrighty then! I decided to play Alpha 9.3 a few days ago, just for fun, and... It really was fun to play! I started with A10 so I had never tried A9.

The game was pretty simple I guess compared to now, but still so much to love about it.

Right now, I decided that I would start an A16.4 Navezgane since I rarely ever play that map, and I will keep playing it until we get A17E.

Question #1: Will you like A17 and why?

Yes, because I will be able to again mod the game to the preferences of my family and to play the mods other people have worked on with what appears to be even more options (new buff system, new stuff, new pois, etc...)

Question number #2

Its Day 70, what design of above ground fort do you believe will be the most "cost effective", IE most good for the least resources.

(You should be seeing some Z-cops and possibly other heavy weight damage dealers)

Any thoughts?

I've found a few acres of spikes around any base tends to handle any horde. So a base of wood frames would probably work. If TFP have figured out how to deal with this, I will be more than happy to adjust my strategy for protecting my crafting base. Though I sometimes don't bother and just deal with all hordes by going out and dealing with them as they arrive.

I handle most 7 day hordes in the open with the help of various chemicals and the best weapons I have for the job. I'm very interested in see how needing to strafe instead of running backwards (which I thought was kind of cheesy, but I couldn't help myself) will change this.

Okay, people. I know we play fast and loose here, and I love the enthusiasm, but this is still not a chat room. Please don’t make posts just to increase the post count - it’s spam. There is plenty to read without drumming up conversation for its own sake. Also remember posts must be in English.

But but "party like it's 1999"...

At least you gave Space4Ace post 30000 instead of Fat Cat with Panties (or whatever his name is). :p

Unbelievable

Honestly i can't even understand how you guys still excited for this new update, what they showed is basically almost the same game with a lot of cuts contents, i mean the graphic is updated but it doesn't look that different, it took 1 year for a single update (and the game is in alpha since 2013) to get what ? more deleted features than new ones ? WTF does it mean that my backpack have locked slots and i have to unlock them, where is the improvement in that ? No sense. What about the loot change + combat system revisited, adding a better attack and removing the backstep and directional sprint instead of a dodge and parry, that sound pathetic since the moment that sometimes zombies have to get hit on the head dozens of times even with firearms, hope at least hitboxes got fixed.

More veichles (with single seat because there's issues that need to be fixed... OK) but a smaller map, health and stamina nerf which cause a general less impact from the food and water mechanics,

also can some one explain me why the HUD stuff is incomplete ?

Why no more weapons or stuff like traps, materials and bulding has been added in the game ? it's sickening seeing always the same tools of death.

I don't even want to talk about the loot speech and all those dropped features which could have been a reason to not beeing disappointed in what i've seen from these previews

Basically this a17 seems like more graphic and less gameplay.

I'll try it without prejudice but i'm 80% sure i'll leave the game there where it is.

Have any of TFP confirmed or denied that we will be able to mod back in Zombie gore and loot? I have messed with some xml's but i dont know what the limit is of what we can do.

I would love to know the answer. If i have to mod the game to get it back to what I enjoy so be it, I just hope that I can.

Archived