Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I don't follow your logic.

Customer: My steak is too salty.

Waiter: You haven't even tasted it yet, sir. It's still cooking.

Customer: That's hardly my fault. I wanted to taste it an hour ago!

Waiter: Oh, you're right. That does mean it's too salty.

Oh my...couldn't stop laughing...thank you for that. It is funny.

However, following that example, its more like the customer wanted to say, "I've eaten here before, and I feel that the steaks are over-cooked, could you please make mine a little more rare?" As in to say, he WANTED to tell you an hour ago how he would like his steak, rather than waiting to get whatever they give and THEN complain and have to send it back etc. etc. Just my two cents on that, playing devils advocate...anything can seem absurd if you limit the actual point of view to a unidirectional logic trap. :)

Besides who wants stuff off of years old decaying corpse and wear/eat it? And its not like zombies maintain items so any weapons they have would be rusted beyond use.

This is admittedly more philosophical than gameplay related, but to answer your question... Survivors should want that stuff. Because they're trying to survive, and that means choice is a luxury they seldom have. Beggars can't be choosers.

So, you are concerned about this in a preexperimental version of the game? When I said there were like a 100 bugs, I was not joking.

Thankless job I suppose ;) I try to at least give you guys a chance. Despite any reservations I have about loot I am very interested in seeing first hand if faatal eliminated some of the easy bypassing of horde nights on a roof.

Heatmap changes

In alpha 16 the main incentive to clear the gore blocks was that they increased the heatmap if left unattended, which would result in a screamer visit at some point. The gore blocks being removed now, how does this affect the heatmap in A17?

LOL Roland, I still wonder if TFP will add underwear slots into the game so I can choose my post apocalypse undies that I will die in. Thats important to me.

Realistically, probably not. In my opinion they wouldn't consider it worth the raging controversy about nudity that would ensue and make stripper zombies pale in comparison.

<snip>

when you wake up bleary eyed on Day 1

The "Where/who/what was the player before day 1", is the 64 billion dollar question.

Once TFP answer that deceptively simple question, it could change the game in so many ways and add fertile ground for an amazing series of games!

In alpha 16 the main incentive to clear the gore blocks was that they increased the heatmap if left unattended, which would result in a screamer visit at some point. The gore blocks being removed now, how does this affect the heatmap in A17?

Umm I'm pretty sure zombie corpse blocks never had heat code. It was back in the day animal corpse blocks but then removed that awhile ago

The changes they are making are actually bringing it BACK to being a survival game. From A1 - A12 the game was HARD. I cant presume to know when you began playing but this recent shift to an easier style of play began with A13 until now. And its now apparent that was by design as all mechanics and systems were not fully in place.

The game isnt changing. It had ALREADY changed but its slowly going back to its roots in new ways. Remember gore blocks? Zeds able to climb OVER defenses easily if you didn't clean them up? I don't know how you can say that the direction A17 is going in is suited for a different game when THIS game used to be (and still is in a way) the STANDARD for Horror Survival.

The only time people make a ruckus is when difficulty and challenges are added. No one ever complains or mass posts when something is made simpler or easier. Where is the outrage over gun part removal, or item quality changes, or even that you can make a vehicle in a workbench? You won't see it because it simplifies a system. There should be nothing wrong with adding a challenge to a game and devs should not shy away from doing so when it fits their vision for what they want the game to be.

I went on a similar - if not lengthier - tirade about traders just before A16 dropped because they made the game too easy in A15, so don't go saying nobody complains when the game is too easy! lol

That said, I started in A10 and I remember each update quite vividly. Probably my favorite overall was either A10 or A11. I liked the deadly trees and well, just about everything else about those updates. Height-based biome generation was the worst idea since I started playing (what was that, A12?), I think. Or maybe reducing the multiplayer sound radii by 90% in A13. I still bitch about that every few posts I make. Playing detective and stalking distant noises in PvP was one of my favorite things to do. Speaking of PvP, the AK-47 and rocket launcher were some of the worst additions to the game. The sniper is already overpowered as hell in PvP and now it's like everyone and their mother is rocking a weapon hat can one-shot the highest level player in the game and eliminate irl days of work instantaneously.

Anyway, none of my opinions are about the game getting easier or harder. My concern is solely the very specific case of horde nights (presumably) not giving adequate loot. If it's 10x harder or whatever that's fine, as long as I have a reason to build a base, and a reason to fight the horde. That's it. I've been bitching all day because I'm worried that I'll have to choose between being a cheeseball and riding a minibike every horde night, and just eating the 100% loss every horde night given no compensation for my hard work planning, building, and maintaining a solid base.

I could be wrong here but I believe it was animal gore blocks that raised the heatmap and not zombie gore blocks. Someone with a PhD in TFP XMLs can correct if I’m TOOMA.

Realistically, probably not. In my opinion they wouldn't consider it worth the raging controversy about nudity that would ensue and make stripper zombies pale in comparison.

Sadly, I think that you are right. But if they are REALLY that uptight about nudity (which they are fine with topless stripper zombies WOO HOO!) then I think its something that would be fun anyway. I HATE the garbage I wear in game by default. If I want to have a nice pink bra layered under a half torn tank top as I charge a lumberjack with a chainsaw, I think it would be AWESOME. And the fun of going into all of the houses and going on a panty raid...hey, it beats peeling it off a dead zed right? In the apocalypse you have to find your kicks, collecting as many different pairs of bras and panties is mine. lol don't judge me...I just cant have enough. Maybe it can be modded in. I have already added them as collectible items but I have no idea how to make new slots and layers for actual worn items.

@Crater Creator thank you for taking notice! I give you a hug!

I do have a question regarding the removal of zombie corpse blocks. It was the main source for bones and such. With them gone it's going to make glue and fertilizer etc a lot harder to craft. Is it being discussed maybe being able to harvest the zombie when it's dead? Similar to a animal?

- - - Updated - - -

I could be wrong here but I believe it was animal gore blocks that raised the heatmap and not zombie gore blocks. Someone with a PhD in TFP XMLs can correct if I’m TOOMA.

Your correct. 96% sure

This is a longshot because it's been a while since I looked at these numbers, but iirc an animal corpse was like 20 and a zombie corpse was like 1.

The changes they are making are actually bringing it BACK to being a survival game. From A1 - A12 the game was HARD. I cant presume to know when you began playing but this recent shift to an easier style of play began with A13 until now. And its now apparent that was by design as all mechanics and systems were not fully in place.

The game isnt changing. It had ALREADY changed but its slowly going back to its roots in new ways. Remember gore blocks? Zeds able to climb OVER defenses easily if you didn't clean them up? I don't know how you can say that the direction A17 is going in is suited for a different game when THIS game used to be (and still is in a way) the STANDARD for Horror Survival.

The only time people make a ruckus is when difficulty and challenges are added. No one ever complains or mass posts when something is made simpler or easier. Where is the outrage over gun part removal, or item quality changes, or even that you can make a vehicle in a workbench? You won't see it because it simplifies a system. There should be nothing wrong with adding a challenge to a game and devs should not shy away from doing so when it fits their vision for what they want the game to be.

O come on... I was here alpha 9ish on. The game was 10x easier back then. You could whip up a cobblestone fortress in a day or two.

The only thing that was hard back then was stopping deer from walking on your crops and breaking them all. Hell we even had minimaps back in your "hardcore" days.

Come on Jax don't say things just to make us laugh. This has never been a hardcore survival game. Every time they took a strong step in the hardcore survival mode it was met with universal distain and was almost always scrapped and redone.

Sadly, I think that you are right. But if they are REALLY that uptight about nudity (which they are fine with topless stripper zombies WOO HOO!) then I think its something that would be fun anyway. I HATE the garbage I wear in game by default. If I want to have a nice pink bra layered under a half torn tank top as I charge a lumberjack with a chainsaw, I think it would be AWESOME. And the fun of going into all of the houses and going on a panty raid...hey, it beats peeling it off a dead zed right? In the apocalypse you have to find your kicks, collecting as many different pairs of bras and panties is mine. lol don't judge me...I just cant have enough. Maybe it can be modded in. I have already added them as collectible items but I have no idea how to make new slots and layers for actual worn items.

@Crater Creator thank you for taking notice! I give you a hug!

Panty raids and bras showing through tank top shirts....your inbox is about to fill up with server IP requests....

After watching Madmoles video it still feels like some animations run at a fixed update rate which I tackled via some modding https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?65459-A16(B119)-View-Sway-Bob-Smoothed and became later an official thing.

So my question to the devs would be: Is it running again in FixedUpdate? I don't mind having slower update rates when the gaps would be compensated via some simple interpolation/tweening. Also I recall the input state was updated in FixedUpdate which results in slugish movement/aiming.

I also wouldn't mind if the tick rate would be configurable so I can actually let the physics and character movement run at like 60hz instead of 30 and server owners can actually decrease the tick rate for better performance with many players. You might think that reducing physics update will result in glitching thru walls when fast enough however Unity allows continuous collision detection and can be enabled with ease.

I'm hopefully mistaken and animation updates are decoupled from game logic update.

This has never been a hardcore survival game. Every time they took a strong step in the hardcore survival mode it was met with universal distain and was almost always scrapped and redone.

This time it will be different. Cross the line TFP and stay there!!!

This time it will be different. Cross the line TFP and stay there!!!

O come on Roland remember random gen with 2 cabins per biome. That was hardcore... Fun wasn't it?

I'll say it again. I just want the game to be fun, I want the gameplay to be rewarding.

If they can manage to make avoiding combad and using the wepons I looked so hard for fun so be it. I just don't see that as being possible. But, I'll admit could be wrong. I just have never played a game where it was fun to avoid conflict other than perhaps msg 5.

If TFP can get an and sneak on that level I will change my mind. :)

One silver lining is NO MORE F=¢&!#& GUN PARTS!!!!! that change alone buys a bunch of good will with me.

Panty raids and bras showing through tank top shirts....your inbox is about to fill up with server IP requests....

lol its fine if I do. Anyone that wants my mod is welcome to it. I don't run a fulltime server usually but its up a lot because I've got something like 4k hours according to Steam. Lol and if MORE people wanted to find these fun little items, we might be allowed to WEAR the undies we really want! Even if they have to make us look like barbies under it all if the nudity is a problem. Damn though I wish I could play out that scene I just mentioned. Roland PLEASE ask MM for me...he never wants to hear me..and I can't blame him...I am neurotic. Bring on the IP requests lol :)

This has never been a hardcore survival game. Every time they took a strong step in the hardcore survival mode it was met with universal distain and was almost always scrapped and redone.

This will never be a hardcore survival game until death sucks so bad you will avoid it at all costs. It is so trivial that players routinely kill themselves just to get rid of broken legs. If death has no real meaning, then neither does survival.

However, I do see the reasoning about horde nights. A long time ago there was discussion about how to engage those people who leave at horde time or hide in their underground bunkers. Talk was about unique items, quality items, increased xp for those who played the horde night. Now, in A17, those that fight the horde night and those that sit in their underground lairs are equal....no incentive to fight the horde other than the fun and challenge of doing so. Now, for me, it's all about killing and making sure my base survives so I will always fight the horde. However, unfortunately, I think you will see many more people simply log off or just decide to mine rather than face the horde since there is no value other than fun of killing.

Well zombies can dig now which is a very welcomed change. Also i would imagine setting the zeds to go for the "spawn points" aka beds if the player is not found (he logs off just before the horde to avoid it in MP) would be a good idea for balance on multiplayer. Your base would be in danger and you SHOULD defend it, if you still wanna see it in one piece.

This will never be a hardcore survival game until death sucks so bad you will avoid it at all costs. It is so trivial that players routinely kill themselves just to get rid of broken legs. If death has no real meaning, then neither does survival.

I'm pretty sure it was mentioned somewhere, correct me if I'm wrong Roland, that status effects persist through death now. Like broken legs and infection.

Yes, this is exactly what I am up to. I rarely even loot Zeds, especially after 5 or 6 weeks. But I WANT those bodies to be there. And I don't want corpses to disappear and backpacks to be pulled out of thin air.

Dam. I was expecting improvement of rotten remains visuals on that or some of next alphas, cuz current ones are alike 2003 graphics. But I got exactly opposite...

Hmm. I suppose it wouldn't be any more effort to change the art from a backpack to the corpse block.

lol its fine if I do. Anyone that wants my mod is welcome to it. I don't run a fulltime server usually but its up a lot because I've got something like 4k hours according to Steam. Lol and if MORE people wanted to find these fun little items, we might be allowed to WEAR the undies we really want! Even if they have to make us look like barbies under it all if the nudity is a problem. Damn though I wish I could play out that scene I just mentioned. Roland PLEASE ask MM for me...he never wants to hear me..and I can't blame him...I am neurotic. Bring on the IP requests lol :)

Roland: Hey Joel, can we add panty raids to the game and have avatars be able to change into different kinds of panties...I'm thinking of like 30 styles and colors to start with and matching bras too?

Madmole: You're fired.

I'm pretty sure it was mentioned somewhere, correct me if I'm wrong Roland, that status effects persist through death now. Like broken legs and infection.

Nothing regarding death penalties have been mentioned. That is still one of the unrevealed parts of A17. I'll say right now I don't know what the death penalty will be. Kinyajuu or maybe Gazz mused about some possibilities with the new buff system which is where your remembrance might have come from but as of now I don't know what they have in mind.

And since I never die I'm not sure how I CAN know.... :drum:

Archived