Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

How about a cotton plant redo. Everything in that photo looks amazing and there sits the cotton plant, odd man out in this high def world.

I'd also like them to finally fix the hitboxes on some of the grass, there is this one model where the hitbox is completly weird where it is, You have to swing at it from a specific side for the hit to register. Any other side you bascally hit nothing. Minor issue, but one thats annoyed me to no end. Its more of a issue to fix in beta, as they got more important bugs to fry atm. Its just something thats annoyed me since I first got the game back in A 9/10. Its been here since then.

Fun pimps,

Please consider either putting in a penalty or something negative for bases build underground at bedrock level. This takes away from the fun finding less bases built from players. As the game currently is, this is by far the best, safest, and easiest way to make a base. Maybe upping the temperature, or even having some nasties spawn down there.

On the flip side, you can give incentives to players who build at the surface. Perhaps a care package that is based on the heat of their structure? You can have the LCB be strongest at 0 elevation and degrade the further away.

My other unrelated suggestion: Do not have the players damage be effected by the difficulty level. In a Pvp setting this means taking absurd damage at lowest of difficulties. I would just have the difficulty scale with the Zeds HP/Damage.

I hope you like my imput.

penalty? you mean like the dogs being able to dig to them wont be enough? guess we can mod the bears to dig too?

A valid question that was a bit glossed over...

If we can only hope to max out 2 perks and get 1/2 way on 2 more then that is going to seriously screw over single player. I have a terrible internet connection living where I do and to top it off I play on a potato...

I generally try to keep an open mind as far as the changes happening; sure i chime in from time to time but I usually refrain from being too negative. This however I can see no up side to; not for single player. It seems to me as though the devs have decided to embrace the MOBA genera and left anyone playing solo to just deal with it.

Perhaps I missed something or misinterpreted what was said, but in spite of wanting to play online I cant and have no obvious recourse.

IMO they should give you enough skill points to get all perks, however, as the max level is 200, you still have to be careful what you spend it on and in what order. I mostly play single player as well so this has me a bit worried. Holding final judgement till I actually play A17 though. While its been said we can max 2 perks and get half way on 2 others, it wasn't see how "deep" the perks go. Some might be more useful than others and you can pass on the less useful ones to save points. Good old Min/max life.

For example in A16 I never bother with armor crafting, I can buy armor off trader, I save those skill points to spend elsewhere. Don't really bother with science skill either, sometimes I just rely on a chem lab in a trader Poi insted of wasting all those skill points.

I guess you would have to explain exactly HOW a SP character would be screwed if she couldn’t max out all perks. Currently, I don’t believe your premise so let’s start there.

My view is that any player can survive, mine, farm, scavenge, build, defend, trade, craft, battle, explore, swim, drive, etc. with both some strengths and some weaknesses. You tell me what part of the game a single player is locked out of if she can’t get 100% strengths in everything?

Don’t just say there’s screwage. Show me the screwage.

Is there anything vital that is locked behind perks? Thats where they can get screwed. For example if you don't up tool, weapon smith and science, you'll never get access to steel. Which is pretty vital later on in game. Don't grind up construction tools, your locked out of: workbench, steel, cement and a few other nesscary pieces of equipment. Its stuff like that I am worried about. Now if I could just wrench up a workbench or chem lab I find, I'd not mind as much, as I'd still have a viable way to get one if I can find one.

You also can't

1) fly. Restriction

2) build something without first getting materials. Restriction

3) kill zombies by talking them to death. Restriction

4) shoot death rays out of your bb gun. Restriction

5) Even worse, no bb gun, Restriction

6) Get experience through meditation. Restriction

Why did I not think of that? You are totally right

PS do you also do children birthday parties?

Wasn't Alpha 16.4 already similar in the not enough skill points available category. I've reached max level and not had enough skill points to max everything out, definitely didn't break the game for me. Additionally, there were still quests available to gain extra skill points after the level cap (though this was rather slow process...why don't those darn zombie bears count!...). Is this similar in A17? Or do quests give you items now instead of skill points?

Those wanting to complain about A17 not allowing you to max all skills don't want to hear someone being rational. They just want to complain. You are correct, you cannot max out skills in A16.......so why all of a sudden it's a big deal in A17? Maybe it has nothing to do with skills but more to do with just wanting to complain about something. I'm pretty sure the limited skills was never a big deal when announced for A16 or A15 whenever it occurred. Now all of a sudden it's a huge deal.....why haven't we been inundated with these complaints before???

I've played many a vanilla game without even touching any of my perk points and progressed to the point, perks wouldn't mean anything even if I did use them. Having less points to distribute means little for me, since I could (don't know about A17) reach the point of becoming the ultimate character without them.

This is not boasting by any means, since the game allows anyone to do this.

Specialization sounds like it's just a bonus in specific areas (if you choose) but not a 'Need'. So you don't feel like you can't completed the game or you feel like you're missing out on something. It seems like, it's nothing more than giving you a slightly different flavor if you end up playing it multiple times.

*Pure speculation based on what I've read so far*

Those wanting to complain about A17 not allowing you to max all skills don't want to hear someone being rational. They just want to complain. You are correct, you cannot max out skills in A16.......so why all of a sudden it's a big deal in A17? Maybe it has nothing to do with skills but more to do with just wanting to complain about something. I'm pretty sure the limited skills was never a big deal when announced for A16 or A15 whenever it occurred. Now all of a sudden it's a huge deal.....why haven't we been inundated with these complaints before???

I think I remember the same discussion happened in A16 too. But instead of complaining that A16 actually did restrict them they seem to have had no problem with it or they modded it out. But think A17 will be different. Maybe because of too much reliance on the tidbits of information coming from Roland and some developers, reading between the lines where sometimes there is just empty space between the lines.

I think I remember the same discussion happened in A16 too. But instead of complaining that A16 actually did restrict them they seem to have had no problem with it or they modded it out. But think A17 will be different. Maybe because of too much reliance on the tidbits of information coming from Roland and some developers, reading between the lines where sometimes there is just empty space between the lines.

People can only imagine A17 within the context of what they know. I understand this and unfortunately I am not at liberty to show you all the exact list of skills and perks so that you can see exactly what an overhaul A17 is in this area. There is very little that is recognizable or the same as A16. I will say that most of the worry I am reading is due to people superimposing the A16 feature they know onto the changes they are reading about A17....but they don't match up at all.

Tying it to xp is (IMHO) the most automatic and therefore most boring alternative. You play and you automatically get more slots. No decision involved, no weighting of options. Also no choice to get more slots early if that is important to you, or later or never if you think agility is better for you.

I guess that would be like automatically getting skill points every level....oh wait :D

People can only imagine A17 within the context of what they know. I understand this and unfortunately I am not at liberty to show you all the exact list of skills and perks so that you can see exactly what an overhaul A17 is in this area. There is very little that is recognizable or the same as A16. I will say that most of the worry I am reading is due to people superimposing the A16 feature they know onto the changes they are reading about A17....but they don't match up at all.

Is there any UI change regarding skills and perks?

hp bar will not be implemented

Thank the heavens. This is the way to go. We never needed it before, and it appears as if the Pimps are taking a more hardcore approach in 17 so why make some things more difficult, yet dumb down others? Its a by product of progression. Gamers are getting smarter. The majority of mods out there are upping the stakes by making gameplay more involved and skill based. And with their popularity it only makes sense to adapt some of that as its quickly becoming the standard.

As for backpack space, yeah we may start with a few less squares but bigger picture is we end up with MORE in the end, and that is the part people are just ignoring. Perks are easily editable, open a file and change ONE number. I'd rather have the option that not.

It will be ok people. Lets not gimp systems and content because you refuse to open a file.

Digging dogs

penalty? you mean like the dogs being able to dig to them wont be enough? guess we can mod the bears to dig too?

I can't speak to the new AI and pathing, but if you are referring to A16 dogs, I have to disagree. I have never seen mobs of any kind get lower than 1 block, let alone 50 blocks of stone. They are usually at the surface playing ring around the rosy.

No, because points do not make you better, by themselves. The decision is where to put those points into.

Buying the option to make a mixer also won't make you better. It will give you another option yes but won't really affect your character. Same as getting an extra slot won't make you better but give you another option. The main point I was getting at is I don't think slot amounts have to do with strength. If anything it would have to do with stack sizes. More strength = able to carry more of each items not more different items. Shoot, did I just give them an idea to make stack sizes dependent on strength...

I can't speak to the new AI and pathing, but if you are referring to A16 dogs, I have to disagree. I have never seen mobs of any kind get lower than 1 block, let alone 50 blocks of stone. They are usually at the surface playing ring around the rosy.

You asked for a penalty to be added. This is the A17 development thread so the natural assumption is that you were discussing a penalty being added in A17. Wolfbain was telling you that in A17 dogs will be able to dig. He wasn't referring to anything having to do with A16.

Thank the heavens. This is the way to go. We never needed it before, and it appears as if the Pimps are taking a more hardcore approach in 17 so why make some things more difficult, yet dumb down others? Its a by product of progression. Gamers are getting smarter. The majority of mods out there are upping the stakes by making gameplay more involved and skill based. And with their popularity it only makes sense to adapt some of that as its quickly becoming the standard.

As for backpack space, yeah we may start with a few less squares but bigger picture is we end up with MORE in the end, and that is the part people are just ignoring. Perks are easily editable, open a file and change ONE number. I'd rather have the option that not.

It will be ok people. Lets not gimp systems and content because you refuse to open a file.

1st time i disagree. Hp bars should be optional. Not removed because a forum lifted it pitchforks.

Agree with the rest 😀

1st time i disagree. Hp bars should be optional. Not removed because a forum lifted it pitchforks.

Agree with the rest

My fault my post was vague on it. I dont like them, and I am glad they are not on screen but I DO think its fine if it is optional. We can agree again! :D

Have these items been fixed??? These are as per the 16.4 release. Most of these have been on the list since A16 was released. I know smell is still out....but???

•Onscreen keyboard is only available if you start the game from Steam’s Big Picture Mode

•Smell is not working with the new stealth we will revisit it in a17

•GlobalUV support inhibits anisotropic filtering and it has to be calculated in the shader.

•Farming of crops other than yucca and hops affects performance

•Precipitation and cold temp going through windows, glass blocks, doors, and hatches

•Excessive use of trigger plates may cause servers to lag during hordes.

•Gore block dup

Coughs * VIDEO * Coughs

Archived