Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Ok, so you confirmed that the size is still moddable. Thanks

Kind of....I hope so....

The change hasn't happened yet so I can't test it. Right now it is a single value to change-- the radius. Once it goes to a square there will be two values and perhaps more to it since the nature of the pregeneration will be changing to match how Navezgane does it. Once the change is implemented I'll try it out and see if it is something that is simple enough for me to figure out or beyond my very limited skills.

He is saying that the change hasn't been made.

Exactly. The code has a number for the size. Does 9k work? Maybe? Still being developed and tested.

Pessimist - I know 8k is not good enough. It will probably format c:!

Optimist - This is amazing! Any size?!? 4096 light year cubic maps!

Realist - We will all know when we finish it, test it, play it.

For the next time bug reporting happens what if you did a front page like you do on the dev diary, that way we can see if its been reported and/or corrected, thats my idea, and thanks for responding roland, i know its just more direct skills but it will let me play more as a character class if i am joined by others for as far as prioritizing what to get during level ups lol.

in this day and age.... you have to catch them as they are born and dont lose site of them for one minute. :) and the guys are no better! they just just grow to damn fast now. even i am growing too fast last month i was 25, last week i was 35 and now 60... i swear i only blinked for a moment to rest my eyes. :)

Woah...settle down Rip Van Winkle. You'll pull something... ;)

Here is the error in this argument. Just the knowledge that you can eventually get everything eliminates choices due to the fact that gamers will always gravitate to the most efficient and preferred pathway. They will always get their same favorites first because there is zero risk and they can get what they consider the lesser perks later on if they feel like it.

Roland, this is wrong.

What about the tens of thousands of players who have played Skyrim more than once, using different classes?

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post

Do you know how annoying millions of reports is for bugs that are already known?

Especially since people often don't look to see if a bug was already reported and discussed, but just post about it again.

Didn't unholyjoe say he wanted all the bug reports PM'd directly to him?!

If he denies it, it must be old age setting in and he forgot about it ;) <jk>

Roland, this is wrong.

What about the tens of thousands of players who have played Skyrim more than once, using different classes?

I concede. I broke the "always" rule. Forgive me. :)

I still maintain that the foreknowledge that you CANNOT get everything will result in more interesting choices than the foreknowledge that you can eventually max everything. It changes how someone approaches the game and makes choices and it makes those choices more agonizing.

An agonizing choice can be spotted when you have a segment of the community wanting to do away with it (give us enough points to max everything) or soften it (Let us respec).

I personally feel that agonizing choices make for better gameplay. I also know that others will not share this preference.

Didn't unholyjoe say he wanted all the bug reports PM'd directly to him?!

If he denies it, it must be old age setting in and he forgot about it ;) <jk>

loads gun and carefully aims, then SQUEEZES the trigger.... damnit... forgot to assemble my mod i just found... be right back. :)

hey Roland... i played WOW for quite a few years and they play just as you described... :)

I concede. I broke the "always" rule. Forgive me. :)

I still maintain that the foreknowledge that you CANNOT get everything will result in more interesting choices than the foreknowledge that you can eventually max everything. It changes how someone approaches the game and makes choices and it makes those choices more agonizing.

An agonizing choice can be spotted when you have a segment of the community wanting to do away with it (give us enough points to max everything) or soften it (Let us respec).

I personally feel that agonizing choices make for better gameplay. I also know that others will not share this preference.

I concur - repec'ing and starting over is the fun part.

Not sure why this is even a discussion - can't the game be modded to give you enough points to get every skill?

For the next time bug reporting happens what if you did a front page like you do on the dev diary, that way we can see if its been reported and/or corrected, thats my idea, and thanks for responding roland, i know its just more direct skills but it will let me play more as a character class if i am joined by others for as far as prioritizing what to get during level ups lol.

We have learned from lots of experience that it is a lot of effort for essentially no gain. People do not find a bug, go to the OP and check the list, and then not post because it is listed.

They either:

1) Don't read the OP

2) Read it but feel their case is special or different enough to warrant a new post.

You've been peeking in at the s̶e̶a̶n̶c̶e̶s̶ ...uh...team meetings.

A17 might come out faster with a sacrifice. Anyone have a virgin sister or daughter they'd be willing to give for the cause?

C'mon now, Roland. Isn't there a forum member in here somewhere that could be sacrificed instead? I still think they are waiting for a certain rockhound to leave for his honeymoon...

Wasn't Alpha 16.4 already similar in the not enough skill points available category. I've reached max level and not had enough skill points to max everything out, definitely didn't break the game for me. Additionally, there were still quests available to gain extra skill points after the level cap (though this was rather slow process...why don't those darn zombie bears count!...). Is this similar in A17? Or do quests give you items now instead of skill points?

You've been peeking in at the s̶e̶a̶n̶c̶e̶s̶ ...uh...team meetings.

A17 might come out faster with a sacrifice. Anyone have a virgin sister or daughter they'd be willing to give for the cause?

Hey, that's sexist. Males can be virgins too.

We have learned from lots of experience that it is a lot of effort for essentially no gain. People do not find a bug, go to the OP and check the list, and then not post because it is listed.

They either:

1) Don't read the OP

2) Read it but feel their case is special or different enough to warrant a new post.

Makes sense, I would read it to see, but that's me, lol, and i will say im kinda happy the map is smaller now, i never did explore the whole thing anyways, in fact in rwg, i dont think i have ever hit the border wall hahaha

For a fun thing would someone on the staff want to make a bullseye map for people to play for fun? where it is one biome with a ring of another biome and so on till the edge of the map? Just an idea for a fun map project if you guys want :)

Skyrim was an example. My argument was:

Having no cap allows you to play as A, B or C, or everything. Having a cap only allows you to play as A, B or C. You are not enhancing gameplay, you are restricting it.

Did you notice that skills stop at 100 and don't go any further? This is also restricting you. Or perks that mostly stop at level 5. You should also protest that.

You also can't

1) fly. Restriction

2) build something without first getting materials. Restriction

3) kill zombies by talking them to death. Restriction

4) shoot death rays out of your bb gun. Restriction

5) Even worse, no bb gun, Restriction

6) Get experience through meditation. Restriction

A game is full of rules and restrictions. Some games more, some less. The "less" restricted are often called sand box. 7d2d seems not to be a pure sand box.

You feel that word "restriction" is by definition bad. Others feel restrictions enhance game play.

I think it was mentioned that the slots would be tied to a strength perk but it doesn't sound to me is how it should work. I was thinking it could be tied to your experience (level) instead. Here is my thoughts on it.

Tying it to xp is (IMHO) the most automatic and therefore most boring alternative. You play and you automatically get more slots. No decision involved, no weighting of options. Also no choice to get more slots early if that is important to you, or later or never if you think agility is better for you.

what's rule #1?

Headshots all the time everytime. is Rule #1

- - - Updated - - -

It's quite accurate now. If the crosshair is on the head you hit the head. If it is not on the head you miss or hit the body.

That's not what it means. Sorry for the confusion.

Before A17 if a zombie was walking it would always stop the walking animation before starting the hitting animation. Before A17 if a zombie was standing up it would never start a hitting animation until it completed it's animation of standing up.

In A17 a zombie can do the hit animation while it is walking and while it is standing up. So if you are used to running past groups of zombies knowing you've always been safe or if you are used to standing over a zombie as it stands up from being asleep or knocked down getting several hits in with no risk...it ain't that way any more.

Pass through a group of zombies and you can get clocked. Rush over to a sleeper and start wailing on it and it might just reach out stun you while it is standing up. That means an adjustment and adaptation to tactics people have been used to.

I hope they have proper animations for these "wake up hits" and don't just magically hit me without swinging.

Bedrock bases

Fun pimps,

Please consider either putting in a penalty or something negative for bases build underground at bedrock level. This takes away from the fun finding less bases built from players. As the game currently is, this is by far the best, safest, and easiest way to make a base. Maybe upping the temperature, or even having some nasties spawn down there.

On the flip side, you can give incentives to players who build at the surface. Perhaps a care package that is based on the heat of their structure? You can have the LCB be strongest at 0 elevation and degrade the further away.

My other unrelated suggestion: Do not have the players damage be effected by the difficulty level. In a Pvp setting this means taking absurd damage at lowest of difficulties. I would just have the difficulty scale with the Zeds HP/Damage.

I hope you like my imput.

Archived