Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Only things I want:

* Repair sleepers - wake when near, no respawn so fast, no respawn near us

* Make multiple sleeping bags (respawn points) in SP - all with preventing Z spawns

* Silent Z's

Everything other is fine! Or it's just bonus <3

Hey Roland. It's nice to see the Alpha 17 diary kick off but I was hoping for more interaction with TFP's.

I'll admit that I do miss the bantering that I had with Madmole (and the nicknames we gave each other lol). I think that everyone else missis the interaction to with him to.

Anyway to get him to pop up for air or a word?

So we'll need a new zombie attack that knocks you off the minibike, into a fire, tosses the bike into water, infects you, and breaks your leg.

Got it!

You forgot 2, it also inflicts bleeding and stuns you

Sounds like a good idea, but don't forget to implement some dogs coming after the player to attack them after falling off their bike.

You forgot 2, it also inflicts bleeding and stuns you

Sounds like a good idea, but don't forget to implement some dogs coming after the player to attack them after falling off their bike.

Well I don't know about you but I'm walking (running to as needed). From now on.

Nope I just find it enough of a pain to constantly get hung up on rocks, twiggy trees, cati,and the like. Don't need other problems on it. As far as others riding around avoiding zombies, good for them. Maybe we all need to find what is fun and stop worrying about how others are playing and asking for nerfs in the game cause so and so is playing the game in a way we don't. Saw enough gating and nerfs in a16. Unless we just want the rateings to tank even more and 7 days go into "mixed" for the reviews on Steam.

But people are making suggestions on how to make the game better. Just because you don't like the suggested changes doesn't mean that they are automatically bad. What you perceive as "annoyances" some find to be engaging factors of gameplay. It makes sense that if you run into a tree you have a chance to fall off of your bike. Don't want to fall off? Drive better or have a skill attached to driving to partially mitigate the effect. Steam reviews are dumb and making game balance decisions based on what a certain subsection of the internet might or might not do doesn't make a lot of sense. TFP have proven that they have their own path, and they are going to take it, and I applaud them for it. I might not agree with some of their decisions, but it's their game and I respect them enough based on what they've done (Made the game that I've always wanted.) to not act as though they are idiots because I disagree with the way things are or were implemented.

RE: Bigger backpacks, I mean, you shouldn't be able to tote around half of a town but having tiered backpacks makes for another aspect of emergent improvement. IMO, the more things you find that reasonably escalate efficiency in an area based on risk/reward the more satisfying the game becomes.

But people are making suggestions on how to make the game better. Just because you don't like the suggested changes doesn't mean that they are automatically bad. What you perceive as "annoyances" some find to be engaging factors of gameplay. It makes sense that if you run into a tree you have a chance to fall off of your bike. Don't want to fall off? Drive better or have a skill attached to driving to partially mitigate the effect. Steam reviews are dumb and making game balance decisions based on what a certain subsection of the internet might or might not do doesn't make a lot of sense. TFP have proven that they have their own path, and they are going to take it, and I applaud them for it. I might not agree with some of their decisions, but it's their game and I respect them enough based on what they've done (Made the game that I've always wanted.) to not act as though they are idiots because I disagree with the way things are or were implemented.

In all honesty I want to play the game TFP make and not something based around the ideals of another third-party this is also why I get slightly irritated when someone says something is broken when it's clearly not because they lack the skill to be able to utilise anything as they were intended then you find most people bending down to their level because they are afraid of their game being branded as a failure, there are cases when things may actually need to be fixed because they are broken but I am not self-entitled enough to say what should and shouldn't be in their game, I may suggest things here and there but I don't expect any of them to be implemented in my head I am all like "Oh this idea would be cool, maybe I could suggest it?" my end goal is not to get what I want implemented but rather to give some ideas (Which I actually have quite a bit of.) to the devs who then may or may not branch off on this and create their own version of my suggestion.

Even without ever looking at the forum - if just the devs could implement anything they thought is cool this game would never get released. =P

:director: That's because you're here on forums when you should be fixing and adding stuff :whip::playful: <Me = Joking>

Wtih the respect I ve got for a moderator, you take the problem in is wrong side.

Thanks for the respect but I'm not on the wrong side of this debate because there is no wrong or right to it. There is just what is and people can either choose to accept it and roll with it or they can choose to reject it and move on to a new form of entertainment.

Does it means that we should revert to the A15 hotfix version because this one is more stable and playable than the A16.3 B12 ?

You say that like it's a bad thing but it is in fact the appropriate fix if you find yourself as an edge case after the developers have done all they are willing to do to improve what will end up being a version never played again by any significant population. People revert all the time to former versions for all kinds of reasons. Early access does not guarantee you the most current version. It grants you access to the development process which often means ups and downs. I've had to revert in the past (just once) from what was the current build. I know nobody will have any sympathy for me on this but I often had to revert back to Alpha 15 back when Alpha 16 was still in development because some days and weeks there was too much broken to be able to test.

Does it mean that as "early acess alpha game" if the players complains, they dont have to play a game as soon as a real beta version is comming ?

There are indeed some people who have shelved the game until Beta and probably others who dabble a bit here and there but don't really plan to really dig in until Gold. I don't think it really matters whether a player complains or not. You can either play at an acceptable enjoyment level now or you wait until it is improved enough to be able to enjoy it. Complaining is completely optional.

So what will happen if more than 50% of us decide not to play this game because of a crap version, who will report bugs ??? the dev themselves ??

er.....the other 50% of us....? Maybe there was 50% of the base who couldn't play at Alpha 16.0 but the percentage is way lower now. It is just a fact that there will be some fringe of the population with some configuration that aggros on the game and the devs have to draw a line at some point and move on. I've been in that fringe before. Mac players are in that fringe often....

In my country we say that "Customer is the king", we are not crash test dummies.

In my country we say "Read the Fine Print". I think you should.

What about having tons of version during summer time, when people went out tu hollydays, then now we are suppose to wait for what, when ?? I use to play a lot of "early access alpha games" and most of them are like, smooth and playable. I prefer beiing stuck in my inventory, than see my fps turning from 50 to 12 in a second.

That's not my experience nor is it the experience of many others and while I don't have numbers to back it up I would say that if TFP is pretty much focused on A17 (they are) then they must know that they've stabilized the showstoppers for the majority and for an alpha version of the game that is all the lipstick they've got for the pig.

Who build cars in year 2017 like copying other ones, just for the look, but technicaly crap and not safe ?? Chinese, Russian ??

Who builds houses starting with the roof first ?

This game is full of good ideas,and maybe one of the most exciting one I ever played. After 800 hours playing , once I ll be tired of it, It will be over. Do I have to wait 2000 hours more to have real fun ?

With a sick tree you wont have any forest ;)

Lots of dangling analogies there. The Pimps aren't building cars or houses. This Alpha 16 we are playing right now isn't even the real game. It is a step to the real game. If you are getting burnt out and worried about not wanting to play by time the final version arrives then stop playing it for awhile. It's fine to take a break. TFP really does not feel threatened if you want to go play another game for awhile. There are a lot of good ones out there and the devs themselves are gamers and enjoy playing other games besides this one.

Every forests has a few sick trees in it.

we need more paint patterns.

-hazmat -- the standard symbol

-armor -- pointy medieval helmet? chest?

-hand tools -- a scythe or crossed axes (All Hail Clangeddon Silverbeard!)

-clothes -- tshirt pattern or big boy pants

-ghostbuster logo -- signify a dangerous area/kill pit, maybe the head of a screamer will work easier.

-directional arrow -- a nice big fat one in several colors

-clan-type symbols -- like freemason logos, all-seeing Eye too.

-minibike -- cuz we all have separate storage boxes just for minibike parts, right?

-gas can -- some we dont store gas next to the forge

-peace symbol -- to indicate friendly or safe area

-the bird -- to clearly indicate and unfriendly area, an emote animation that flips other players off would be cool too.

-a few more pictures -- wall art

-garden tool -- a shovel or hoe or chainsaw

-stone - the shape of some pebbles in a clump or the auger shape.

The ability to use different colors on the 1x1,3x1,5x2 signs.

Well I'm back with more suggestions.

I would like to see more depth in skills,more skills added and different skills depending on what I am doing and not the tool I am using.

Lets take the stone axe for giggles...

No matter what I do with the stone axe I get construction skill XP.

What I would like to see implemented is that if I use the stone axe or other tool on a tree perhaps it raises a (lumberjacking or forestry skill)

If i use the stone axe or other tool to break a block or door I would like to have a destruction skill.

If i use it on stone or ores then it should raise mining.

The only time I think construction skill should gain XP is when repairing blocks or upgrading them.

how about a cooking skill we all spend a lot of time in that campfire. I would like more recipes also.

>>> bring back rabbit on a stick that was a unique recipe to this game that has been long gone now.<<<

Not only would I like these things to happen but having more diverse skills and many more recipes and items to create and unlock from them.

In other words a lot more depth.

I really do not care if you knock us off the mini bike or not but can we get a real bike like a Harley. I mean we have these biker zombies now.

Where are all the Motorcycles? shouldn't they be parked outside of the booby trap?

I would also love to see the cars working and see road blocks made by the raiders or have a horde surround and start damaging it.

BUT PLEASE DO NOT IMPLEMENT CARS UNLESS YOU CAN HAVE 4 PEOPLE RIDE IN THEM. driver, shotgun, and 2 in back

You know for multiplayer purposes.

okay I'm done throwing out some more Ideas for now. see ya tomorrow.

i would like to see

steel upgrade to iron bars and jail cell door.

a drawbridge that can go to 45 degree angle to be used as a ramp

a portable work station added to the minibike uses up 4 slots, to use for combining parts.

a perk for archery as the firearms do. dead eye

ammo belt

Size Matters!!

Ouch

IHR 2017/18

Yes it does, but I think storage in the backpack and mini bike are fine. It requires us make decisions as we scavenge.

The answer for this is the mini bikes' big brother - THE HOG. Get that big beautiful bike in the game and you should have double the storage.

With luck, it will be loud enough to attract a neighborhood of zombies, and breakdown unexpectedly, just like a Harley....

Everyone is putting out their wishlist, here is mine, all of these relate to randomgen:

1) Town name discovery with decent bonus XP (XXX Discovered)

2) Fishing, boating, etc.

3) Cars, more vehicles you can drive.

4) Newspaper clippings, books, magazines, etc. that tell the story of what happened. Once the player reads, also log it to the journal and give the player bonus XP. Each clipping could have a date so the player knows when the event happened.

5) Related to the above, the quest system has a ton of potential, it would be great to see it used for something other than hunting/killing.

6) Larger, centralized biomes that more closely follow what earth has IRL. A snow 'island' shouldn't be in the middle of a desert, for instance, and deserts should have fewer bodies of water. Maybe add some oasis type areas. Also, green biomes need more lakes, and frozen areas need frozen lakes. LESS HILLS AND MOUNTAINS. Let's save the mountains and hills for specific regions in randomgen. Relatively lat areas (valleys) should exist between these regions. More lakes/ponds/rivers for the green areas.

7) Built in Dead-is-Dead mode. Maybe a horde survival mode (everyone spawns together, every night is horde night, hordes get larger and more powerful every night, Players try to survive together as long as possible)

8) Simple RESTful API for pulling player stats out of the game. (useful for #7).

9) Roaming hordes should not spawn and target players. Roaming hordes should always exist, always be roaming, and only find the player if they stumble across the player and/or base on accident or the player is doing something that generates smell (campfires, forges, etc.)

Better roads. Who builds up a cliff *JUST* to put roads on?! :) Most roads are built AROUND rough terrain. Also, the roads need lines. Old alphas had this in some areas.

10) Cold snowy areas, hot deserts. This is already somewhat implemented, but the cold areas STILL get rather warm for an area with snow on the ground 24/7. The desert/snow biomes should bring challenges of their own in the form of climate.

11) Weather systems instead of RNG weather. Seasons that bring challenges of their own, etc.

12) Sync up the multiplayer dedicated server and local multiplayer code. There are many bugs that exist in one that do not exist in the other, and some mechanics seem completely different.

13) Multi-core optimizations!

14) Better management of remote connections. (I have a 30ms connection to a dedicated server and it feels completely different than my local multiplayer server. Part of that could be from #12 though.)

These are a bit further out there:

1) Increase of the complexity of the crafting system! Why this was ever changed I'll never know. Example: Wood -> Logs -> planks or sticks! (YES! I SAID IT! STICKS!!!!!!)

2) Region based housing/architecture. Example: compare a house in southern CA or AZ to one in the northeast. A world of difference.

3) More rural housing, again: Not cabins, but full on actual houses like you see IRL.

4) Maybe consider having the larger cities *only* spawn in the wasteland. Small/midsized towns still spawn everywhere. Also, instead of zombie bears spawn in the wasteland, have them spawn in the forest biome (not the greener one, but the darker one, I can't remember what they are called these days) Compensate for this by making it so the wasteland has significantly more zombies, and make them RUN! Also, landmines in the wasteland? Is there a reason for that? As I imagine a wasteland type area, it used to be a dense urban area at one point, not a military war zone. Maybe TFP has backstory in mind.

we need more paint patterns.

-hazmat -- the standard symbol

-armor -- pointy medieval helmet? chest?

-hand tools -- a scythe or crossed axes (All Hail Clangeddon Silverbeard!)

-clothes -- tshirt pattern or big boy pants

-ghostbuster logo -- signify a dangerous area/kill pit, maybe the head of a screamer will work easier.

-directional arrow -- a nice big fat one in several colors

-clan-type symbols -- like freemason logos, all-seeing Eye too.

-minibike -- cuz we all have separate storage boxes just for minibike parts, right?

-gas can -- some we dont store gas next to the forge

-peace symbol -- to indicate friendly or safe area

-the bird -- to clearly indicate and unfriendly area, an emote animation that flips other players off would be cool too.

-a few more pictures -- wall art

-garden tool -- a shovel or hoe or chainsaw

-stone - the shape of some pebbles in a clump or the auger shape.

The ability to use different colors on the 1x1,3x1,5x2 signs.

Yes please! Agreed!

As I too have a wishlist...most will never be implemented in game..except through MODS.

However I must add that if TFP actually polishes the systems already implemented in game to date....this would actually be a terrifying, extremely exciting, awesome game.

Yes, it already is ...but it just hasn't gotten over the hump yet....in theory these systems (temperature, bread crumbs, weather, minibikes, zombie tracking(not running in circles), etc, etc) really will make this the best Zombie voxel game out there.....Actually, I haven't even seen a non voxel zombie game, that is as good as this.

Everyone is chomping at the bit for Beta..but 2-3 more Alphas can really make the game untouchable in the genre. I hope Madmole and Co. already have a plan for polishing up these systems ....some of the issues have been around for quite a long time....To wait for Beta will be rough enough.

In Pimps We Trust until they change something or remove something....then all bets are off!! LOL

I will be the first to start it off....

COUGHS * VIDEO * COUGHS

Ouch

IHR 2017/18

As I too have a wishlist...most will never be implemented in game..except through MODS.

However I must add that if TFP actually polishes the systems already implemented in game to date....this would actually be a terrifying, extremely exciting, awesome game.

Yes, it already is ...but it just hasn't gotten over the hump yet....in theory these systems (temperature, bread crumbs, weather, minibikes, zombie tracking(not running in circles), etc, etc) really will make this the best Zombie voxel game out there.....Actually, I haven't even seen a non voxel zombie game, that is as good as this.

Everyone is chomping at the bit for Beta..but 2-3 more Alphas can really make the game untouchable in the genre. I hope Madmole and Co. already have a plan for polishing up these systems ....some of the issues have been around for quite a long time....To wait for Beta will be rough enough.

In Pimps We Trust until they change something or remove something....then all bets are off!! LOL

I will be the first to start it off....

COUGHS * VIDEO * COUGHS

Ouch

IHR 2017/18

Totally agree and specially with game optimization, I mean, I get its on Alpha state, but if the game is unplayable and ergo UNTESTABLE because of fps stuttering and constant drops even with good hardware then whats the point of let people in...

They need to poolish this a little more, specially in cities. (They've already done this before A16 by reducing memory leaks) that's why you can now set the blood moon hordes up to 64.

I get a lot the "men this game is in alpha" and its ok, to a certain point as I describe above.

The zombie IA is going to be (hopefully) the best in this Alpha to come, cause the only thing I found on this game that can cut my immersion is zombies running in circles, zombies climbing up and down ladders like retarded, zombies not getting into the base after destroying the door (they just keep hitting the walls), zombies just passing by totally ignoring you like "meh, human" , etc.

knocked off...again?

Pray, tell us the story of that time you got knocked off your minibike the first time and it emotionally scarred you so horribly that you would not only uninstall 7dtd but also delete it from your steam account. Why are you so against such a thing?

Doesn't sound so bad to me...

And then--- what if someone else threatens they will uninstall and delete the game from their steam account if tfp doesn't implement minibike dislodgement? How ever will the pimps cope if they're damned if they do and damned if they don't?

bahahah

and you yell at me for being a Prick...

Archived