Creating and Exporting Models from Unity for use in 7D2D

xyth

Hi again!

I'm trying to transfer a textured model from the Blender to Unity.

When rendering in blender - everything looks good, but when i load it to Unity - it is without textures (only the material has the assigned color)...

I use format ".fbx" because ".blend" not working in this versions.

Which version of Blender do you recommend use (to best compatible with Unity_5.3.8p2) ?

In what format should i save the textured model that would be suitable for Unity_5.3.8.2 ?

(I have to use the format .fbx and then re-assign textures directly in Unity?)

(i use blender 2.79b and Unity_5.3.8p2 for now)

I figured it out :) sorry about panic!

Edited by n2n1 (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Hey gang!

Lurker, but relatively comfortable modder here.

Man I love you guys. And a grateful shoutout to xyth for the tutorial videos.

So far, my xml are pretty night and day different from the vanilla game.

Highly expanded progression and skill trees, etc.

I recently made a couple of katanas in different colors with a Hamon pattern and level of detail I’m pretty happy with in game. Using hold type 17. Works a charm. I also put together a bunch of new items using repurposed meshes and custom icons etc. for meeting the requirements to make the katana, making tamahagane, collecting rayskin for the handle from “A better life’s” lovely Stingrays etc.

I’ll throw up some screenshots if desired.

One victory I am highly satisfied with is putting together some rare super bosses like the “Busty Behemoth”, (Thanks to the Zombie Transmogrifier of course), basically superpowered stripper zombies that range from 3-10x the size of normal zombies and drop busty behemoth blood which is required for crafting a crimson handled katana, because I am a nerd

I am still having a lot of trouble managing to get custom items ported into the game however. It seems to be a crap shoot most of the time.

I am using the right version of unity, I believe, 5.3.8p2

I am using the most current SDX.

The two katanas I ported in were done using copies of the katana sample with the names of the mesh changed from “michonnekatana” to “aaronkatana” and “hannahkatana” and in the xml: “#aaronkatana?katana” and “#hannahkatana?katana” and they work swell.

I have little idea what are the important aspects however.

Repositioning items in unity seems to have no effect. They simply enter the game the same way no matter what I do thus far. What I name the mesh or the empty game object I place it in seems unimportant. Only that I tell the xml to look for what I name the final result.

Likewise, scaling the item once it’s been placed seems completely ineffective, only changing the “import scale” before I put it into a scene.

Many, many items when imported simply show up as *leather*? Or some similar texture being held in the player’s hands and swung around like a jackass.

While I’m of course capable of making simple mistakes. I am highly meticulous, and have tried and retried a few hundred times with various items. So I’m leaning more towards ignorance than syntax errors.

I would be tremendously grateful for a better understanding of what may be at play here, or some more rigorous tutorials.

Thoughts?

Edited by aaronfors11 (see edit history)

Lots of different issues here. You might want to join the modding discord as it's much easier to troubleshoot in a chat than in a static forum. Every issue you mentioned is very solvable, as we all ran into these issues when starting out. The naming convention seems to be you main issue. It's #mysavefilename?thetopmostparentobjectname

Edited by xyth (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

Hi xith !

Can tell me what i need to create a block (a form, as a standard block) to which then i can assign textures from the .xml.

I suspect that some tags are needed here. Or perhaps each side should be a separate mesh? Then what are the rules when creating this? names?

The game really lacks a simple form - a quarter of circle.

The "round" does not fit, it is not completely round. With her help, i want to create round columns four blocks thick.

And more, i would like to create an ordinary door (with open/close). I have not found information on the Internet that would relate specifically to 7dtd. Are there topics about it?

Here is a video I made a while ago for making and animating doors:

Unless you need to interact with blocks, like open them as a container, or to pick them up, you do not need to tag new blocks. If you want to interact with the new block, add the tag T_Mesh_B to the child object that has the collider you want to interact with.

The block can be a single mesh, as long as the UV is set correctly, and you have a texture that will wrap the block. You would make that shape in blender and set the UV, but I'm not a blender expert, so others can explain that better.

Here is a video I made a while ago for making and animating doors:

Thank You, i saw this video a long time ago, but I forgot it was Yours! Thank You for these lessons, learned a lot from there!

Now i will try to make a door.

-------UPD--------

The animation is working fine, is there any suggestion what is the reason for this message in the console ?

AsvaSFB.jpg

Was there a problem with the inscription ("press E to open") that only appeared in the range of one block been solved?

("MultiBlockDim" does not solve the problem)

The block can be a single mesh, as long as the UV is set correctly, and you have a texture that will wrap the block. You would make that shape in blender and set the UV, but I'm not a blender expert, so others can explain that better.

Hmm....no ....

....texture selection(and painting) does not work with the <property name="Shape" value="ModelEntity"/>.

during the <property name="Shape" value="New"/> do not connect to external models...

Inside game resources all shapes are divided into separate meshes for each different sides...

I thought it would require special tags...on each of the 6 sides, but they have names like:

N,S,N_A,B_A,B_P,S_A,S_F,W,W_F and so on.

PS:

For what purposes is the tag called "T_Block"? (which was mentioned in your lessons)

Have You tried creating a tree with the built-in "three creator" ?

(I have a problem with per-pixel lighting and creating a LOD)

I may have misunderstood your question about texturing. The in-game painting tool only works on certain game models, and I have not spent time figuring out how to use it on custom (ModelEntity) models. The seperate meshes you mentioned are for the "New" shapes, and those models are built using code in game. T_Block is what we used in A15, as that video is very old now. Use T_Mesh_B, and make sure its in the correct tag order: Tags.jpg.02a916133fd8892f9fe106452f29bab2.jpg

I think you can still use T_Block, but the layer selected must be the terrain layer. You can try both.

I messed with the tree generator a little, but it was limited, so I'd recommend using speedtree for a month subscription if you need to make a lot of good trees quickly.

Edited by xyth (see edit history)

I have not seen that error on anything I've made, including doors, so I would need to see your unitypackage to diagnose that error. Might be how you setup your state machine.

This error does not open the console.

Hmmm... i saw the same error in the console when i decided to check the door from another mod ... so i've decided that it's in the way of its creation...

Thanks for the replies!

/deleted - not needed anymore/

Edited by n2n1
del links (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Think i figured out the yellow error in the console, perhaps it was caused by the fact that I moved the clips to other folders, during the creation of the animation.

But i'm still looking for a way to avoid the one block limit when the message "press E to open" appears.

Are you putting the tag "T_Mesh_B on the child object that has the multidim collider?

Yes, i experimented with placing сollider and tags in different places.

I saw that in the door-models of other mods, this problem is not :(

@xyth - Thanks for all the tutorials brotha, I do have a question. Is it better to have all your prefabs in 1 unity3d file or multiple. I wasn't sure I do notice the loading menu takes an extremely long time if there A LOT of unity3d files. So for performance sake - would it be best to place as many as we can in a single file? or does that even matter? I have a little over 200 prefabs I am working on and have individual unity3d files for however, I want to make sure my team when we play doesn't get too impacted on performance just loading the game.

I haven't seen anyone address this anywhere or if it even matters or not. Figured you would be the man answer all this.

2nd question, With the newest versions of Unity, does the export script only work with the 5.3.8p2 update only still or can we move onto the newer version now? Wasn't sure if that was updated yet as well or if we are still stuck with the 5.3.8p2 version.

Thanks in advance

- FastBurst

@xyth - Thanks for all the tutorials brotha, I do have a question. Is it better to have all your prefabs in 1 unity3d file or multiple. I wasn't sure I do notice the loading menu takes an extremely long time if there A LOT of unity3d files. So for performance sake - would it be best to place as many as we can in a single file? or does that even matter? I have a little over 200 prefabs I am working on and have individual unity3d files for however, I want to make sure my team when we play doesn't get too impacted on performance just loading the game.

I haven't seen anyone address this anywhere or if it even matters or not. Figured you would be the man answer all this.

2nd question, With the newest versions of Unity, does the export script only work with the 5.3.8p2 update only still or can we move onto the newer version now? Wasn't sure if that was updated yet as well or if we are still stuck with the 5.3.8p2 version.

Thanks in advance

- FastBurst

I have found that packing several objects that share meshes or textures creates smaller .unity3d files, often dramatically smaller, so it is generally a good idea to place those things into one file. I have not tested loading times but I'd expect that a few files will load faster than many.

There will be an updated script for Unity 2018.2, but the export process will be the same. You will need to re-export all your assets, but other than perhaps evaluating the shader choices you made (The game will likely change how old models look using some shaders) , you wont need to do much in the way of changing your models.

Thanks xyth, I am going to try packing as many as I can together to see if that helps. I am really looking forward to the update. I don't know how much the update will help or if it will make a difference or not lol but would be nice to be able to use the newer platforms.

• 5 weeks later...
There will be an updated script for Unity 2018.2, but the export process will be the same. You will need to re-export all your assets, but other than perhaps evaluating the shader choices you made (The game will likely change how old models look using some shaders) , you wont need to do much in the way of changing your models.

First let me thank you for sharing your knowledge and work allowing people such as my self get their toes wet in modding 7 Days. May I ask if there is any update on the script yet?

Kind regards, Mac :)

First let me thank you for sharing your knowledge and work allowing people such as my self get their toes wet in modding 7 Days. May I ask if there is any update on the script yet?

Kind regards, Mac :)

The A17 / Unity 2018.2.x version of the ExportAssetBundles.cs is now available on my github Repo. Thanks to Sphereii for updating it. https://github.com/7D2D/Templates-and-Utilities

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Xyth, thank you for your tutorials, and i hope you or someone else can help me.

Are the steps the same for Item modelling, like new melee weapons?

I tried your tutorial with a free asset from the unity asset store (Kukri) but i can´t figure out how too export this asset

into an unity.3d file?

Thank you