Possible work around and/or solution to md5 crashes(base wipes/resets)

sTokedRecon

Claire (If you are even the one still doing this...),

I have done my fair share of irate forum ranting at or towards companies and moderators for stealing my time with games that don't work. However, I am not going to do that this time. I can appreciate the scale of the company that makes 7DTD and I simply want to have a conversation followed by a question...

Hi Guitarfryk,

You post was moved to General Support by a mod because it was not a bug report and this MD5 post may be able to help you.

I understand how frustrating this issue is for all who are effected by it. In case you have not yet seen it, all info on this bug is here - https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?50175-Known-Issue-Terrain-Rewriting-(MD5-Issue)

To answer your question, the team are currently working to track down the remaining triggers for the MD5 error. As it's mentioned in the link above, a few patches ago they added a new analytics tracker into the game so they could track the MD5 errors. This tracker has been able to show us that with each patch, the fixes withing the patch are reducing the number of MD5 errors that are occurring. So while we have not completely fixed it yet, your friend was half right in that we have fixed a large number of triggers and reduced them greatly - and continue to do so.

Unfortunately, as with all bugs, some can be fixed super quick, others can take a fair bit of trial and error. The same goes for the MD5 triggers. Because of this it is not possible to give an estimated time scale for a complete fix. However this is considered a top priority for the team still.

The combination of the community reporting their errors, and posts like this one that are started to help others, we're on our way to being able to tell MD5 errors to not let the door hit them on the way out.

With all this in mind, I also completely understand that this is not so comforting to players to have just lost bases or large chunks of builds to the error. I share as much news as I can about the errors and when I do I update the link above so it's a good way to keep an eye on any progress.

The regular crashing after extended play time is a separate issue, but can cause MD5 errors to trigger on occasion. The team are also working on this to improve stability. It's recommened at the moment to clear your cache regularly and if you see a UI flicker to restart immediately. You can also try the workaround contained in this thread (at your own risk as it involves deleting saves)

Clare

Hi Guitarfryk,

The regular crashing after extended play time is a separate issue, but can cause MD5 errors to trigger on occasion. The team are also working on this to improve stability. It's recommened at the moment to clear your cache regularly and if you see a UI flicker to restart immediately. You can also try the workaround contained in this thread (at your own risk as it involves deleting saves)

Clare

Hi Clare,

question about the UI Flicker, i play on Xbox one with my partner splitscreen. we regularly get what i would call a freeze (not a flicker) for 1-2 seconds when playing where all actions stop (probably every 3-5 minutes regardless of length of game time) this doesnt affecting anything else, there is no loss of items or base, the game effectively pauses (this isnt when it saves as i dont see the save icons appearing top left).

Is there any advice on this, could this be an MD5 issue, but occuring elsewhere in the map, or is this just the xbox struggling to run the game.

Thanks

Xbox players... If your game crashes and sends you to dashboard immediately go to manage games. Go into 7dtd and delete your local save. Reload the game and I swear to baby Jesus Xbox does have a sort of cloud save system and it synces your game right back up. Load your game and you should be fine. Dont need to restart your Xbox or hard restart it. I have now done this about 8 times on my day 43 world now. It's been working, I have had some gnarly freeze ups right before it dashboards me. If you have experienced a bunch of Md5 errors like me you know the bad freeze up glitchy dashboard crashes that make you really worrie about loading the game back up. This is working it takes me back just before what ever caused my crash everytime and so far no Md5.

I can almost bet that if I hadn't done this workaround everytime my game crashes I would have been hit by Md5 at least once if not twice. Two out of the past eight of my crashs were really bad. Like dejavu of a previous crash that ended very badly. All I do is delete my save load the game right back up, once it gets past all the fun pimps logos and your at the start screen and you press Start. It then syncs your game or games ( I have 3 worlds that get deleted every time and sync right back everytime) it takes maybe a minute and boom your back in with your past saved games. Load up your game and your good to go. This is the best preventive measure for us xbox players to take. The word needs to get spread, I'm sure a hard restart here and there to clear the cache is ok but that's not preventing a Md5 at all. This workaround really may be it.. I'm testing it everyday. It's working use it!

Follow sTokedRecon and his exact instructions on how to do it properly. Do it once and then you know what to do and that's what every Xbox player should be doing. Hard restarting after a crash is pointless, we have all still had Md5 happen regardless of that. But doing this new workaround it has been flawless so far. If I make it to day 100 with no Md5 it's proven to work because I get Md5 errors as much as a stripper gets one dollar bills.. Way to many way too much! Lol. I'm bound to have another 20 to 30 dashboard crashes between day 43 to 100 so I'm testing it. So far I'm amazed. This might just save this awesome game.

Hi Guitarfryk,

You post was moved to General Support by a mod because it was not a bug report and this MD5 post may be able to help you.

I understand how frustrating this issue is for all who are effected by it. In case you have not yet seen it, all info on this bug is here - https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?50175-Known-Issue-Terrain-Rewriting-(MD5-Issue)

To answer your question, the team are currently working to track down the remaining triggers for the MD5 error. As it's mentioned in the link above, a few patches ago they added a new analytics tracker into the game so they could track the MD5 errors. This tracker has been able to show us that with each patch, the fixes withing the patch are reducing the number of MD5 errors that are occurring. So while we have not completely fixed it yet, your friend was half right in that we have fixed a large number of triggers and reduced them greatly - and continue to do so.

Unfortunately, as with all bugs, some can be fixed super quick, others can take a fair bit of trial and error. The same goes for the MD5 triggers. Because of this it is not possible to give an estimated time scale for a complete fix. However this is considered a top priority for the team still.

The combination of the community reporting their errors, and posts like this one that are started to help others, we're on our way to being able to tell MD5 errors to not let the door hit them on the way out.

With all this in mind, I also completely understand that this is not so comforting to players to have just lost bases or large chunks of builds to the error. I share as much news as I can about the errors and when I do I update the link above so it's a good way to keep an eye on any progress.

Clare

Thank you Clare,

This was most helpful.

Follow sTokedRecon and his exact instructions on how to do it properly. Do it once and then you know what to do and that's what every Xbox player should be doing. Hard restarting after a crash is pointless, we have all still had Md5 happen regardless of that. But doing this new workaround it has been flawless so far. If I make it to day 100 with no Md5 it's proven to work because I get Md5 errors as much as a stripper gets one dollar bills.. Way to many way too much! Lol. I'm bound to have another 20 to 30 dashboard crashes between day 43 to 100 so I'm testing it. So far I'm amazed. This might just save this awesome game.

Thanks for backing my post Funk, all any survivor needed was for reputable members of the community to back legitimate need to know information. I certainly hope the data reaches everyone that is in need of it.

Thankyou especially to staff/mods for referring players to the needed information, even though I know no one directly responded to me I understand how much of what is done really is appreciated. I am happy that players are getting what they need from this.

Thankyou especially to staff/mods for referring players to the needed information, even though I know no one directly responded to me I understand how much of what is done really is appreciated. I am happy that players are getting what they need from this.

Good, I'm glad someone finally came up with a seemingly working solution. You indeed deserve some credit. I'll remember

Good, I'm glad someone finally came up with a seemingly working solution. You indeed deserve some credit. I'll remember

Another player I ran across online said there was talk about this work around way back but said that to find anything out about it required extensive reading so I guess no one bothered to try to blow anything up about it so as to make the information reach more of the community or otherwise I am certain there would have been more easily found posts about it. All I wanted was for people to have some resolution in this matter as the game and community both deserve it.

Another player I ran across online said there was talk about this work around way back but said that to find anything out about it required extensive reading so I guess no one bothered to try to blow anything up about it so as to make the information reach more of the community or otherwise I am certain there would have been more easily found posts about it. All I wanted was for people to have some resolution in this matter as the game and community both deserve it.

Me too. It's such a great game and I hate how Xbox players unluckily pulled a short straw. I've been watching and reading the bug reports pretty obsessively for over a year. I've never read about this, although I'm positive I've had to have missed some things. Sadly this trick was probably one of em them

I dont know if it is possible or a viable fix, but it seems like maybe instead of trying to pick out a thousand needles from a field of hay bales, maybe the devs could write a fix that catches corrupted/broken local console saves and replaces them with the good saves on the cloud. Sounds like fewer steps toward the same goal.

MY solution to MD5

My fellow 7d2d killers. MD5 SUX, I've had 3 of them hit. Regardless of what folks say or tell you to do there is no sure fire way to avoid it, I've tried them all so I start every game anticipating it's going to happen. I create multiple bases. I typically start all my games in a forge house outside either the HUB or the first city I find. Once I get that up and running I'll find a small city and take over one of the bunkers there. I'll stay there till I've searched every inch of the city and then move on to the next. My most current game I'm playing INSANE and at day 31 I have 3 solid bases. I do have one location that I primary use for horde nights but If MD5 hits any of them I'll still be able to maintain my game. Ever watch Walking Dead? Have they ever been able to stay in one location? No, they are constantly being hit with MD5s. It's not a fix, but it's my workaround and it works for me.

My fellow 7d2d killers. MD5 SUX, I've had 3 of them hit. Regardless of what folks say or tell you to do there is no sure fire way to avoid it, I've tried them all so I start every game anticipating it's going to happen. I create multiple bases. I typically start all my games in a forge house outside either the HUB or the first city I find. Once I get that up and running I'll find a small city and take over one of the bunkers there. I'll stay there till I've searched every inch of the city and then move on to the next. My most current game I'm playing INSANE and at day 31 I have 3 solid bases. I do have one location that I primary use for horde nights but If MD5 hits any of them I'll still be able to maintain my game. Ever watch Walking Dead? Have they ever been able to stay in one location? No, they are constantly being hit with MD5s. It's not a fix, but it's my workaround and it works for me.

Not everyone wants to play this way and your post is off-topic. Also, have you tried this new workaround? It's almost as if you ignored it and went rabble rabble rabble. Don't be so quick to judge before you've tried it. Thanks

Going to try this sTokedRecon. My girlfriend and I play split screen, the only game I have ever been able to get her interested in, and she's about addicted as I am. So addicted that we have been hit by several MD5s, but continue on with a fresh game because this game is so bad@$$. Ours seem to crash every 75 to 90 mins so we set a timer and just quit the game, and reload but have had MD5s. So we will definitely try using your method to ensure that we don't get hit by this horrible error.

Thanks.

Currently at Day 34 Survival MP, no problems so long as I am using the work around. Had a random horde attack night 33 that included my first feral kill. Feral appeared from out of nowhere in my face. Enjoying my play experience with friends in MP. And the save file did begin to increase in size again after 45MB but it took couple in game days for the file to begin growing again.

Not everyone wants to play this way and your post is off-topic. Also, have you tried this new workaround? It's almost as if you ignored it and went rabble rabble rabble. Don't be so quick to judge before you've tried it. Thanks

Exactly man.. 🤙

I didn't play any 7 days since my last post the other day but I will be tonight. On day 43 so far and I use this workaround everytime my game crashes. So far so good, I'll keep posting on my progress as I go. Wish this forum was easier to find, I have to click on my profile to find it. Can't seem to find it when I search for it. All good tho, peace.

I didn't play any 7 days since my last post the other day but I will be tonight. On day 43 so far and I use this workaround everytime my game crashes. So far so good, I'll keep posting on my progress as I go. Wish this forum was easier to find, I have to click on my profile to find it. Can't seem to find it when I search for it. All good tho, peace.

Search "work around" or possible work around. I think searching base resets or wipes might also brig it up. It is under the console forums in general support.

Just a quick confirmation guys that this has worked for me as well. I usually get the silent crashes that quickly kick you out to the Xbox Dashboard. But every now and then I get the crashes that start with the loud audio and then the crash to the dashboard. That guaranteed an MD5 error in the past. After trying this new workaround by deleting the local save, it's been successful so far. Nice find guys. Love this game and this helps me to keep playing.

Just a quick confirmation guys that this has worked for me as well. I usually get the silent crashes that quickly kick you out to the Xbox Dashboard. But every now and then I get the crashes that start with the loud audio and then the crash to the dashboard. That guaranteed an MD5 error in the past. After trying this new workaround by deleting the local save, it's been successful so far. Nice find guys. Love this game and this helps me to keep playing.

So glad to hear. Tell anyone you know to spread the word around :smile-new:

• 2 weeks later...

It seems to be quite difficult to make contact with other xbox users in regards to spreading word of this work around. I've been making contact with players that post in 7dtd Zombie Survival club about their frustration with losing large chunks of areas to resets but not everyone acknowledges my message(s). Not at all planning on stopping attempts to help those that do need to be informed on what they are looking for.

Archived