7 Days to Die and your CPU

Faded

We did some testing on multiplayer server last night.

So it seems that atleast my rig´s CPU cant handle SP game correctly.

It seems that i have thous lagspikes when game spawns new entinity´s to game.

I get a little bit of lag & stutter when things are spawning as well. Not all the time, but I've had it happen with larger roaming hordes.

Someone's looking for this thread....

You saying that to bump the thread, or do you mean something by that?

Massive Idle usage

Our server at hetzner (i7 with 6 cores + HT = so 12 and 64GB DDR4) is running hot with the latest version

Two players 57% CPU Usage

0 players 27% (??????) Souldn't it be on standby until a player joins?

Our server at hetzner (i7 with 6 cores + HT = so 12 and 64GB DDR4) is running hot with the latest version

Two players 57% CPU Usage

0 players 27% (??????) Souldn't it be on standby until a player joins?

If you're running Winblows, that's probably normal. Maybe not, but there is a reason I will never host a server on Windows.

If you're running Linux, that's wrong. Idle my server sits around 3-5%, and with 4 people on it may get up to 25%. This is with running two servers on a Core 2 Quad Q6600 with 16GB RAM.

My Windows 7 server ran idle when no players were on, though I haven't tested this with A16 yet. My guess is you have something running in the background, like an anti-virus software or something to cause the CPU to run like that. Mods might cause that too if you have some installed. Also, an i7 based server shouldn't be running that hot with just 2 players online, maybe with 4 or more players, but not 2.

People even still have dual cores in this day and age? How old of a pc would that be?

Sounds ironical, but my home server is run by a dual core, as budget was limited and it's only used for data storage and providing non-public dedicated game servers only. ;-)

Intel i3-4160

... most of the time it runs 7DTD fine for me and my friends (max. 4 players), except for exploring new areas by mini bike.

But this information in this thread brings upgrading to a more powerfull cpu (e.g. i7-4160) into new light. :-)

Some more testing.

My prosessor is constant 67% when 7dtd.exe is runing (pausing game and alt+tab to desktop dose not change the CPU load)

Friends rig is runing older i7 (i7-4xxx) and if he dose the same the CPU load drops from 49 to 17% instantly.

So i think that the unityengine penefits from older prosessors HT greatly and cant work well with newer prosessors (6 and 7 generation with out HT)

Actually, the Unity engine supports newer hardware more, and they dropped the support for older CPU's/motherboards. It won't work in 64-bit at all on most older dual-core CPU's as they don't support SSE3.

Your test comparison there still shows that something else may be hogging your CPU. What are the specific rates for the 7dtd exe?

Actually, the Unity engine supports newer hardware more, and they dropped the support for older CPU's/motherboards. It won't work in 64-bit at all on most older dual-core CPU's as they don't support SSE3.

Your test comparison there still shows that something else may be hogging your CPU. What are the specific rates for the 7dtd exe?

I´m right now at work, but from memory....

7dtd.exe 50-60% CPU usage next higest proses 3-5% usage

Memory last night 9,9 Gb comited 8,5 used Gb

After exiting game on desktop CPU usage 3 to 13%

After exiting game on desktop CPU usage 3 to 13%

3 - 13% is a lot for a system that should be idling. Could it be bloatware or anti-virus?

I'm lucky if I see 1% cpu usage during idle on any of my systems. Then again, I'm quite OCD about keeping my systems clean from junk running in the background.

Ok back at home.

Rig idle is 2%

No other antivir than win 10 own.

Onedrive, Nvidia panel and Plantronics headset software running.

Tested 2 other games.

Subsistance CPU at 47% (All maxed in settings)

Empyrion 72% (All maxed allso) this was on the start, when landed 52%

On thous games no lag at all or spikes on CPU usage.

Aldranon, i´ll download 3Dmark and post score here.

*Edited typos*

Ok here's the score on my rig whit the latest 3Dmark. (Better than 49% of other results)

**Edit**

Demo 3Dmark

**Edit**

Graphics score 5 807

Graphics test 1 37.70 FPS

Graphics test 2 33.41 FPS

CPU score 3 106

CPU test 10.44 FPS

Aldranon what version of the 3dmark are you refering whit thous scores? cos last time i cot ower 10k on latest 3dmark was on customers rig whit i5 and 2xgf1070 sli.

I thing i´m not the only one whit this problem and i´m hoping others will input allso on this thread, so we can figure out what´s cosing this.

I had no isues on A15 whit same settings, so if you are having microlag please input you rig info and eny other info.

Fire Strike score.

Graphics score 17 455

Graphics test 1 83.58 FPS

Graphics test 2 69.51 FPS

Physics score 7 569

Physics test 24.03 FPS

Combined score 6 531

Combined test 30.38 FPS

Shuld be running 7d ok?

Fire Strike score.

Graphics score 17 455

Graphics test 1 83.58 FPS

Graphics test 2 69.51 FPS

Physics score 7 569

Physics test 24.03 FPS

Combined score 6 531

Combined test 30.38 FPS

Shuld be running 7d ok?

Its not the your CPU fault if you have serious lags, its the software or something else. Bios and drivers up to date?

Just to double check things, go to the "Hall of Fame" site and search for your core name. If someone made a rig that is just like yours (same GPU) and the score is much higher then I would be pretty sure you got a virus or old BIOS and drivers.

Just to double check things, go to the "Hall of Fame" site and search for your core name. If someone made a rig that is just like yours (same GPU) and the score is much higher then I would be pretty sure you got a virus or old BIOS and drivers.

On time spy i wuld be ranked 39th (Best is 6242, Owerclocked i bet)

Fire Storm 12nd (Best 15878)

Drives are latest WHQL released

Bios latest allso.

Ill run system chek lated today.

System cheked.

No malware or virus found.

Here's another datapoint from a single player perspective: Riding around on a minibike with a purple engine hammers the CRAP out of all 8 threads on my CPU. This is telling because I used to play with hyperthreading off, and noticed stuttering at times when riding a fast minibike, especially when going through a large city.

Utilization is well distributed, with no one core clearly in the lead. I'd say Unity/TFP have done a great job of multithreading their engine.

If not for the lack of a pause function, I would consider hosting a dedicated MP environment on the secondary desktop (i5-2500K should be fast enough) and then playing on my main system. I've read in the past that does a lot to free up resources as one machine doesn't need to both render and generate the world all at once.

I didn't read all post in this thread, but in case it has not been mentioned, 7D2D seems to benefit from unparking your CPU cores. Unparking means all cores (physical and virtual) will run at full speed without dropping to lower clock speeds on the fly to save power. The ramping up cores to full speed "after" the CPU detects the need for speed can show up as stutter in game. I use a freeware program called parkcontrol to unpark my cpu cores before launching 7D2D. Its generally safe to leave the cores always unparked, but you will probably notice a lot of extra heat being moved out of your PC.

I didn't read all post in this thread, but in case it has not been mentioned, 7D2D seems to benefit from unparking your CPU cores. Unparking means all cores (physical and virtual) will run at full speed without dropping to lower clock speeds on the fly to save power. The ramping up cores to full speed "after" the CPU detects the need for speed can show up as stutter in game. I use a freeware program called parkcontrol to unpark my cpu cores before launching 7D2D. Its generally safe to leave the cores always unparked, but you will probably notice a lot of extra heat being moved out of your PC.

Interesting you should mention this: I've seen instances where core unparking causes stutter in other games, but not this one.

I disabled hyperthreading and have been playing pretty well for days now. I do notice higher per-core utilization at all times but the gameplay is still smooth, including driving on a purple minibike. Things I have noticed are sudden frame drops, particularly deep underground. I also have delay/lag when trying to harvest a large farm; each plant I pick up causes stutter.

Neither of these cases are explained by CPU/GPU/RAM utilization, so I'm unable to explain them at present time.

Archived