Multiple Versions on one PC?

plvoy

Hi there,

i've bent everything i can so far to have A15 Starvation and A16 coexist on one machine, since I feel i didnt finish Starvation yet and A16 isnt stable yet.

I could isolate the directories and savegame paths so I never try to load the A15 Starvation Save into A16. All good so far.

A16 tho modifies some values in the registry under "HKCU/Software/The Fun Pimps/7 Days to Die" It's not too big of a thing, but I have to reset some of my video options now everytime i go from A15 to A16 and vice versa. Kinda annoying :) and yes i know, a 2nd user profile would do that, but that is not my goal either ;-)

greets, and I appreciate every hint.

There's plenty of threads relating to this already... just not A15 and A16.

Install A15 as usual, then move the entire installed game to another location where Steam doesn't know about, then install A16 in that normal location. Now you just need to create a shortcut to desktop of A15 install and run it that way, it still sort of uses Steam integration, but uses files from the different location and doesn't appear in Steam games directory. You can still run A16 the normal way through Steam. Don't touch the save files... they can stay where they are, just make sure to label each save file accordingly so you don't confuse them when playing cuz it will corrupt it.

Or at least that's how I think it's done... haven't done it myself yet as I have no need, but I've read so many of these threads that I sort of have it memorized.

EDIT: ok, I read a little more of your post... I don't know what's going on there as registry files aren't usually an issue for ppl.

Had the same issue myself. Haven't checked to see if it reset itself, but I thought it was due to verifying files and a config getting overwritten. If it's a registry key, not sure how to reset that properly, unless you an get one copy to register under a slightly altered name.

I could script my ass off by having batches do the switching. Well, 3 minutes tops. But still I thought there was a smoother idea.

I guess the registry Path is hardcoded in a DLL somewhere.

The one thing apart from some Video and Gamma Settings that bugs me most is that it now reverts Temperature to Fahrenheit everytime... again not a big deal, just bugging me ;-)

• 1 year later...

It does

There's plenty of threads relating to this already... just not A15 and A16.

Install A15 as usual, then move the entire installed game to another location where Steam doesn't know about, then install A16 in that normal location. Now you just need to create a shortcut to desktop of A15 install and run it that way, it still sort of uses Steam integration, but uses files from the different location and doesn't appear in Steam games directory. You can still run A16 the normal way through Steam. Don't touch the save files... they can stay where they are, just make sure to label each save file accordingly so you don't confuse them when playing cuz it will corrupt it.

Or at least that's how I think it's done... haven't done it myself yet as I have no need, but I've read so many of these threads that I sort of have it memorized.

EDIT: ok, I read a little more of your post... I don't know what's going on there as registry files aren't usually an issue for ppl.

It does corrupt the files. It happened to my files earlier this month.

Archived