General Discussion

Roland

I noticed it, too. :)

...wasn't sure if it was jest or uh, the fact that you're MERELY a math teacher, and not something important like an Art History teacher. ;-)

(kidding aside, lemme know if you need help setting up OBS. It's pretty cool, because you can also set up multiple video sources, so you can have the game, your webcam, a browser window, etc...

I recommend keeping the Mic setting all the way up, and the "Desktop Sound" setting at about 30%, that way the game sounds don't overshadow the smooth sounds of your sexy man-voice.

So I purchased the full version of Bandicam about a year ago. But should I just forget that and go with OBS? I noticed that Bandicam had the sound sources as well but so far I haven't been able to get them to work so that my mic is loud enough. You feel that OBS is superior?

So I purchased the full version of Bandicam about a year ago. But should I just forget that and go with OBS? I noticed that Bandicam had the sound sources as well but so far I haven't been able to get them to work so that my mic is loud enough. You feel that OBS is superior?

I don't know anything about bandicam but I can tell you OBS is very good. It will let you stream or record at ease. Can be set up with hot keys so you can mute or change scenes on the fly. It is pretty easy to use and there are a lot of sites with info on how to do stuff with it.

I don't know anything about bandicam but I can tell you OBS is very good. It will let you stream or record at ease. Can be set up with hot keys so you can mute or change scenes on the fly. It is pretty easy to use and there are a lot of sites with info on how to do stuff with it.

Bandicam simply records. I use a different program to edit and upload to Youtube. OBS does everything? Record and then edit and upload?

Bandicam simply records. I use a different program to edit and upload to Youtube. OBS does everything? Record and then edit and upload?

OBS is to record with. You can stream directly to youTube if you wish, but most people who watch streams do so for 1 of two reasons - background noise or social interaction. If you want higher quality video, your best bet is to record rather than stream, especially if you plan to do any editing.

youTube allows direct uploading right from their website, so you don't need an "uploader", per se, though I wouldn't recommend using Internet Explorer to upload with.

Not sure what you use for editing, but I have tutorials on how to edit using Hitfilm Express, and it's another free program. Not too difficult to learn either, if you're already familiar with video editing software. I even have a tutorial on making an intro directly in Hitfilm, exporting it, and reimporting it for each video, if that's something you'd be interested in.

If you have any questions about any of this - OBS, Hitfilm, youTube in general - I'm sure there are tons of people here that can help. For most of us, it's a hobby we enjoy, so we're actually passionate about it.

I see Laz already answered that it doesn't . I have been using the streaming part of OBS. I use Sony Movie Studio Platinum for editing videos and YouTube built in uploader on the website. Just to note the YouTube stuff I did was a different genre and I haven't put any games ones up yet on YouTube.

Edited by Anabella (see edit history)

OBS is to record with. You can stream directly to youTube if you wish, but most people who watch streams do so for 1 of two reasons - background noise or social interaction. If you want higher quality video, your best bet is to record rather than stream, especially if you plan to do any editing.

youTube allows direct uploading right from their website, so you don't need an "uploader", per se, though I wouldn't recommend using Internet Explorer to upload with.

Not sure what you use for editing, but I have tutorials on how to edit using Hitfilm Express, and it's another free program. Not too difficult to learn either, if you're already familiar with video editing software. I even have a tutorial on making an intro directly in Hitfilm, exporting it, and reimporting it for each video, if that's something you'd be interested in.

If you have any questions about any of this - OBS, Hitfilm, youTube in general - I'm sure there are tons of people here that can help. For most of us, it's a hobby we enjoy, so we're actually passionate about it.

I see Laz already answered that it doesn't . I have been using the streaming part of OBS. I use Sony Movie Studio Platinum for editing videos and YouTube built in uploader on the website. Just to note the YouTube stuff I did was a different genre and I haven't put any games ones up yet on YouTube.

Thanks a bunch. Could you link me to your tutorial Lazer?

Roland, and anyone else who wishes to give Hitfilm Express (FREE video editing software - they also have a professional paid version) a go, here's a link to my playlist of tutorials. I need to make more, but these will get you started. Also, there's a trick to make video editing much easier, I think in the 3rd video I point it out.

Wow thx! I went and started a dl. I did see on the site tho that the free demo does not allow export? Does this only include local files or will it also not allow a Youtube upload?

Hitfilm Express is the free version. If you got the Pro version demo, then yes, you'll have limitations. Just get Express. It allows exporting, including direct upload to youTube, though you're likely better off exporting to a file and checking it to make sure everything is good. Then upload via youTube's upload page. I would guess the demo is just to show people what the difference is, or "what you're missing" - Express is plenty powerful and leaps and bounds ahead of Windows Movie Maker, which is what I tried at first. Layers are so much better.

Hmm, idk, it won't let me dl it. Link says it should open up to social media sites to get a code unless you run adblocker. I don't have any adblockers even installed on my machine but it won't let me dl it. Even going to their FB age the only dl possible there is the pro version. Ah well, it looked promising but seems they are having issues with their site actually functioning.

Anyone know policy for content creators that lie about the game?

This video -

They clearly modded the game or spawned in behemoths, are lying about them being in the game to get views and spreading false information.

I posted clearing it up but it gives streamers a bad name and spreads misinformation on the forums. Many people believe they are in the game now and its very confusing.

So technically the code for the behemoth IS actually in the game right now, just looking at the entityclasses.xml file. It likely just never gets called on in any of the spawning groups in "vanilla" A16x. Saying that the behemoth is in the game at the moment isn't technically a lie, but saying that the game or the xml files aren't edited whatsoever would be a little irresponsible. Is there any chance that video was a replay of a live stream? I haven't watched the full video yet but Id like to believe someone would have mentioned tweaking the files, especially because it is so easy to "CYA" and tell accurate information that I don't see why anyone would opt not to do so.

I need your opinion guys. You are more experienced and know what works and what not :)

After b119 update my saves from previous release stopped working. Was streaming yesterday and had to restart the word. I've been also recording for YT and expecting that I will have to ditch that one and restart too.

So question is: is is better to have two separate series progressing, one on YT and one for streaming only? Or having one series, record a bit and stream it as well?

With my life I can't expect to be able to do more than 3 pieces if content a week.

One or two series? What do you think?

So... where are they now? The entire selling point of the streamers getting earlier-than-us access was supposed to be to combine the communities, and to show off the game to new markets.

...but I'm more than a little disappointed that ever since 16x was released to the rest of us, I'm not seeing any tangible success. Am I wrong? I'm open to being wrong...

- - - Updated - - -

@jimbo: Two, for sure; one for non experimental, one for experimental.

So... where are they now? The entire selling point of the streamers getting earlier-than-us access was supposed to be to combine the communities, and to show off the game to new markets.

...but I'm more than a little disappointed that ever since 16x was released to the rest of us, I'm not seeing any tangible success. Am I wrong? I'm open to being wrong...

Its hard to guess what might have changed if things were different but:

Before A16 8-9K players on steam.

Now 12-19K players on steam and this is before A16 goes mainstream.

Was it all the streamers? Probably not.

Was it in part due to streamers? Almost certainly.

- - - Updated - - -

@jimbo: Two, for sure; one for non experimental, one for experimental.

Where is who? In all honesty things are extremely quiet I feel because everyone has their head buried into experimental playing it. I still see a lot of mixing of the community and growth. It's definitely there. Matt and I have been busy streaming and testing things on A16 experimental that we haven't been replying on the forums a whole lot except for a little here and there. The general discussion section of the forum currently seems to be filled with a lot of the exact same topics worded differently. We're reading, just refraining from responding until stable comes out.

Hardware Discussion - Capture / Streaming Cards

I was going to put this thread in off topic, but I think all things considered, this is likely the better place to put it since the majority of posters here actually stream or capture video, and as such would have more experience and insight into recommendations and such.

Perhaps the forum needs a hardware section.

Anyway, I was wondering if any of the content creators out there have any experience with streaming / capture / recording cards, specifically for streaming console to Twitch or youTube. I was looking at the Elgato and Hauppage PCIe cards and trying to determine which one might work better for connecting a console via HDMI and streaming using either provided software or OBS. Or, if there are other recommendations, I'd appreciate some direction on choosing one. Budget, as always, is a concern, so no I'm not going to spend $1,000 on a capture card or device, but I think the Elgato is $200 for the HD PRO version, and anything under that would work within my budget.