Prefab Editor (Alpha)

Pille

Looks like we can have static entity spawns now. Last time I tested this feature I made a mistake making me believe that it did work (enemy spawn was off^^). Static spawns should allow one-time spawns of all entities listed in the F6 menu (perhaps even vehicles). The entities can be placed much more precisely than sleepers.

///

That's good news!

I thought it stopped working! I often use static spawn!

hmmm.....do i need to use a block with a "spawnTrader" class for this? Or is there something specifically created for this? Is that what You were looking for before?

Edited by n2n1 (see edit history)

No, it's unrelated to the spawnTrader block (and to any other blocks). You just need to add some additional data to the .tts file. The method is identical to that of Hal's (A15) editor. There are a few issues though.

1. Afaik the static spawns are not visible in the ingame editor unless you start a playtest.

2. Saving the prefab in the ingame editor will delete all static spawns. That means I have to store a copy of those data somewhere else (for instance in the .pille file) to allow the user to use both editors simultaneously.

3. The Assembly-CSharp.dll is a hard read for old Pille.^^ Not sure how long it takes to implement the feature.

Is that what You were looking for before?

I don't know what I was looking for before. :D But it's the same feature we have discussed a few month or years ago. Static spawns have already worked in previously alphas, on the Navezgane map only though. Now it looks like as if the random gen worlds has become more technically similar to Navezgane making the static spawn stuff work.

Edited by Pille (see edit history)

Well, yeah, that's not convenient. But it is better that this function was available than it will not be at all.

Previously, there were much more problems with the creation of prefabs and various tricks :)

I still use the built-in editor from A15 to create/smooth the terrain (only there is this feature). This is complicated. This involves numerous conversions, but i don't know the best way to work with terrain.

I don't know what I was looking for before. :D

that's about it

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?62501-Prefab-Editor-(Alpha)&p=785867&viewfull=1#post785867

Yeah it's a kind of must-have feature (Just because it is not implemented in the ingame editor ^^). We can only hope it's worth the effort and that the fun pimps are never going to deactivate it. Perhaps I can implement a function to smooth the terrain. The maze and static spawn stuff has priority though.

I did not mean that it is worth doing the work with terrin in Your Editor - i think he's not fit to it, because need to see the exact contours of the terrain.... or... were You going to do it !?

Still wanted to ask - as there is this "static spawn".

It is recorded in a air-block as a parameter? That is, it is tied to a certain block or by itself?

By the way, i've always wondered - why do You make a maze? Hal had it before, too ...

Just so there's no misunderstanding - I was talking about static spawns in the first two sentences:

Yeah it's a kind of must-have feature (Just because it is not implemented in the ingame editor ^^). We can only hope it's worth the effort and that the fun pimps are never going to deactivate it.

were You going to do it !?

Probably not but it might still be useful to have some general smoothing tool even if the results cannot be displayed directly.

As I hinted, the static spawns are unrelated to blocks and therefore not tied to them. There's some additional (float number) data for the positions of the entities. Thus, they can be placed at intermediate block positions and you can have more entities than blocks (well at least theoretically; not sure if they have to touch the ground to be spawned).

Mazes are one of the easiest (or the laziest) ways to make random prefabs which has always been the long-term goal for the editor. That and randomization of existing prefabs. Mazes are just the entry point though. I want more sophisticated stuff in the long run. However, everything depends on the further development of 7 Days. If I don't enjoy future version of the game, I'll change my plans.

With the help of Hal, I'm starting to have some success.^^

Static spawn of 4x4 truck:

2fFwsjp.jpg

Mazes are one of the easiest (or the laziest) ways to make random prefabs which has always been the long-term goal for the editor. That and randomization of existing prefabs. Mazes are just the entry point though. I want more sophisticated stuff in the long run. However, everything depends on the further development of 7 Days. If I don't enjoy future version of the game, I'll change my plans.

You know what? ;) ... Here, i often feel like a kid in a candy store...:D

that's what i mean :

... and can whether this all as the be use for ....caves...? ;)

(if TFP will throw this feature)

• 3 weeks later...

Lol sorry n2n1. I forgot to reply. Sure I could implement a cave generator ... but the editor is at a turning point. Imo it doesn't makes sense to add much more stuff as long as the code and gui are so screwed up. Complete rewrite, trying to fix the messy code or abandon the project. These are the options.

• 1 month later...

Shifting bounds and at random shifting sleeper volumes

Hello Pille,

First, thank you for keeping the editor up to date!

Maybe you can help me with a question I have about saving one of my (rather large) prefabs in the in-game editor. My problem is that (often) it automatically updates the bounds when it saves the prefab. When I reload it later, one of the bounds (mostly the West-bound, but at random also other bounds) is 30-50 blocks wider outside the original prefab. That space is totally empty (also accordingly to your Zombie Editor). When I click 'update bounds' it does not remove the empty space. The only way I can 'fix' this is by removing the empty columns in your Zombie Editor (which is great!). After that, the bounds in the in-game editor are good and 'update bounds' works ok. Then I edit the prefab in-game, save it, and again the borders mess up..., repeat.

Not ideal, but it kinda works. What doesn't get easily fixed however, are the by the in-game editor saved sleeper volumes, which get shifted all over the prefab over the x- y- and z-axis almost at random:

- the sleeper volumes even start/stop outside the prefab bounds

- the shift of the sleeper volumes does not match the extra 30-50 extra blocks outside the original prefab!

- the size / shape of the sleeper volumes is unaffected

- there appear to be even new, not (on purpose) by me, placed sleeper volumes in the prefab. (BTW: I play single-player, locally on my computer)

This is very annoying of course. The only fix atm is manually shift them to the right spot in your Zombie Editor. Doing this gets old fast, so I removed all sleeper volumes for now.

Maybe related to this: only when my prefab is placed in Navezgane (game and World Editor), the console warns in yellow about: <See attached screenshot>

Can you help me please?

Already done / tried:

- Converting prefab from A16 to A17, including removing all in-game errors (blocks, paint) except for the one in the screenshot which I can't seem to solve.

- Trying to read as much as possible on the forums about this (found nothing useful)

- Full new reinstall of 7d2d (including Windows registry, etc.)

You can receive the affected prefab of course.

**UPDATE**:

The same bounds-error while saving, happened to another (A16 to A17 converted) prefab I made, which doesn't have the problem as descibed in the formerly mentioned screenshot. This time I copied only a small piece (one army truck) into a new prefab. But still, saving this tiny prefab meant that the bounds messed up immediately.

274239776_7DaystoDieScreenshot2019_07.20-10_40_21_66.jpg.038e888c27c7f9a957842f2c7ce72544.jpg

Edited by Henk
typo's + update (see edit history)

@Henk

Ok, it's a bug in the ingame editor. There's not much I can do about it. I could add two options to my editor though:

1. A 'remove empty outer layers' option when saving the prefab should delete those empty space automatically when you load and save the prefab with my editor.

2. There needs to be some kind of write protection option for the 'YourPrefabName'.xml (the place where the sleeper volume data are stored). Or maybe the zombie editor should prevent already existing volumes from getting their positions change by the ingame tool while still allowing to add more volumes ingame. That could be a bit more sophisticated though. I'll think.

So for now (until I release an update). I suggets to make a backup of the 'YourPrefabName'.xml which is located at (default path): C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\Data\Prefabs. Overwriting the xml with a backuped version and reloading the prefab should reset the shifted sleeper volumes.

Afaik the warning is not related to the issue but to blocks having unusual damage values. That may sleepers prevent from spawning btw.

• 1 month later...

@Pille

For some reason the workaround* doesn't work anymore :-/

*"So for now (until I release an update). I suggets to make a backup of the 'YourPrefabName'.xml which is located at (default path): C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\Data\Prefabs. Overwriting the xml with a backuped version and reloading the prefab should reset the shifted sleeper volumes."

You say it's a bug in the ingame editor. Do I have to report this to The Pimps on a different thread, or have you already informed them? If this bug persists I'll have to abandon my prefabs, which I worked on for several years.

Thanks @Pille for this very nice tool. It helps a ton fixing problems of the actual ingame editor.

While the editor ingame is nice to play with, i had most problems with changing much blocks to another one, or manipulating the density values. And the ingame editor tends to replace the boundaries larger when you change something. All of that can be corrected with your tool very nicely.

Thank you !

Hello Pille, and everyone reading this, I was building something and neded a imposter, when i clicked the button to update imposter the prefab pop up a message to sav the curretly progress, i did but when i did it the imposter become the prefab and now i cant load the normal prefab, just shows me the imposter, i tried to load the prefab in ur editor, i have all the blocks listed but i can see any, you guys have any idea how to fiz this?

the prefab files is rught here if u guys want: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6s1rbryx98qt0iz/AAArctOftAzTVwTzVz_aW26Da?dl=0

You say it's a bug in the ingame editor. Do I have to report this to The Pimps on a different thread, or have you already informed them? If this bug persists I'll have to abandon my prefabs, which I worked on for several years.

No, I don't have informed them but others might have. I dunno. Since they will ignore A17 bugreports, it makes sense to wait for A18... I don't want to update the editor atm. since A18 could make my attempts to fix the problem obsolete.

@ExeBT

Sorry, but the tts file seems to be empty (air blocks only). There's nothing I can do. I suggest to use the console commands to create the distance mesh next time.

prefab simply

prefab combine

prefab export

then reload the prefab.

No, I don't have informed them but others might have. I dunno. Since they will ignore A17 bugreports, it makes sense to wait for A18... I don't want to update the editor atm. since A18 could make my attempts to fix the problem obsolete.

@ExeBT

Sorry, but the tts file seems to be empty (air blocks only). There's nothing I can do. I suggest to use the console commands to create the distance mesh next time.

prefab simplify

prefab combine

prefab export

then reload the prefab.

Did correct that for you ;-)

You dont really need step 1 if its a small or not very detailed prefab. But i always do imposter and distant mesh too, cause they are visible at different ranges, distant mesh for further away and imposter for the distance in between the distant mesh and when POI is rendered fully.

@◙ExeBT always do backups - i do it with several versions of my map and prefabs. But had no problems with the ingame editor so far, except it tries to enlarge the collision box most of the time. But with Pilles Tool i correct this ^^

Edited by Sam_Neill (see edit history)

Preview

* A18 compatibility (should be, ofc I have to wait for the release)

* added list-support for search command (in console)

* added invert feature to quick selection (click on the invert checkbox to unselect)

* added new console command (type help in the console to get a list of available commands)

* added new options to filler tool (bucket tool)

* added ability to handle missing blocks (should be important for converting a17 prefabs)

... to be continue

Intermediate updates will be available on my Discord when A18 exp drops. Public update is at the end of the experimental stage.

Pille's Discord Server

I'm giddy with enthusiasm about the A18 drop and can't wait to get back into creating/editing prefabs.

A17 left a bad taste in my mouth for a while but I've come to enjoy it in both vanilla and modded styles.

I've been putting off prefab creation for the whole of A17 cause I knew all my hard work would just be trashed during 7DtD major updates.

It was very disheartening to build stuff in 15 and then not have it convert properly for 16. And the same for 16 to 17... and now 17 to 18, so I just waited and waited and played the game (A17 vanilla) for the a long time before investigating the xpath modlets, which, to me, just put back all the things TFP took out, plus a host of other great tools and inventions.

My love for the game has only diminished slightly, 'cause I know that development sometimes messes things up and the Unity update last year was a big part of that.

Cheers to another year of great mods and tools that this awesome community is constantly developing and sharing.

Thanks Pille... and all the other people who program/code these helper apps for us.

Edited by bigstep70 (see edit history)

I've been putting off prefab creation for the whole of A17 cause I knew all my hard work would just be trashed during 7DtD major updates.

That's not true though. So far my converted A17 prefabs look good in A18. Working on a converting process right now...

That's not true though. So far my converted A17 prefabs look good in A18. Working on a converting process right now...

Cool. thats good to know. I just got home from work and am about to delve into the xml's and have a peek at whats new/changed.

I was like a kid on X-mas eve all day... couldn't wait to get home and open my presents... er I mean Steam :)

Cool. thats good to know. I just got home from work and am about to delve into the xml's and have a peek at whats new/changed.

I was like a kid on X-mas eve all day... couldn't wait to get home and open my presents... er I mean Steam :)

Merry Christmas! ;)

Changelog 0.81(b)

* A18 support (might be incomplete)

* added list-support for search command (in console)

* added invert feature to quick selection (click on the invert checkbox to unselect)

* added new console command (type help in the console to get a list of available commands)

* added new console command 'missing blocks' which prints a list of all missing blocks in the current prefab

* added new options to filler tool (bucket tool)

* added ability to handle missing blocks (somewhat buggy)

* fixed bug related to advanced replacer tool and rule list feature

Autoupdate isn't working? Try these:

Download LINK (32 bit)

Download LINK (64 bit)