Prefab Editor (Alpha)

Pille

Yeah, I can't get her back there. This happens only with the "xml"-tab and only when the Editor window is fully maximized. If the Editor window is not maximized - then everything works fine.

However it is not particularly importan :)

(Maybe it's because of the two monitors, but i tested it on the other side as well).

Edited by n2n1 (see edit history)

@Quasimiyao, @stallionsden

Interesting :) That will be really useful :) Atleast would think so, havent made a prefab yet:p

Hope it comes to fruition be amazing

Hopefully^^.

@n2n1

I haven't added the game textures and shapes yet and I am not even sure how it can be done (propably with the Unity Assets Bundle Extractor???). So loading a house into the 3D view would look super ugly.

???

Was ist das?

3d preview?

Yeah the thing a lot of users were asking for a while back. ;) I know we have the 3D ingame editor now but why not making an own one.^^ Your german is perfect btw.

If anyone already has extracted textures + shapes and wants to help me, don't hesitate to contact me. I would prefer working on the editor instead of trying to figure out how the get to necessary files.

Edited by Pille (see edit history)

Changelog 0.70

- added new command 'print loot blocks' to console commands

- added feature for evaluating the loot balance of prefabs

- added preview for 3d view (controls: arrow keys + mouse, press escape to stop the mouse grabbing, click in 3d window to activate mouse groubbing). It's completely useless atm. but I would like to know if it works for you! 3D view is deactivated per default but there is a switch in the option menu.

- updated help command (for console)

- fixed bug related to the sleeper placing buttons

- fixed: export doesn't store blocks.nim file and xml file

- known issue: Closing option menu occasionally crashes the editor

Added link to 0.70 to the OP.

If anyone already has extracted textures + shapes and wants to help me, don't hesitate to contact me. I would prefer working on the editor instead of trying to figure out how the get to necessary files.

There will be problems. :(

Block textures are not currently available for direct extraction from bundles.

(.....how did You get the block-texture for paint preview?)

Block shapes do not exist as ready-made meshes, they consist of different planes.

(i hope someone will correct me if i'm wrong).

I understood correctly that, You now need block shapes and block textures?

How many form blocks do You think will need?

I understood correctly that, You now need block shapes and block textures?

Yes I need shapes and textures. I had a little bot to extract the textures from screenshots.^^ The resolution of those extracted textures is quite low (~320x320) but it might be sufficient.

How many form blocks do You think will need?

The 49 base shapes available for rconcrete or stainlesssteel blocks. That would be nice. Perhaps they can be downloaded from somewhere else. A few voxel games use those standard shapes...

I had a little bot to extract the textures from screenshots.^^ The resolution of those extracted textures is quite low (~320x320) but it might be sufficient.

I assumed that was the only way.

It is possible to change the GUI so that would preview menu displayed preview of the textures in the needed resolution. Then can take a screenshot of the texture in this desired resolution.

My skills in a Blender3d are not strong but, ultimately, not fast, i could make these shapes.

The big problem lies in how your 3d-visualizer will texture blocks that will consist of a single mesh (and therefore - have one UV-scan...) It will not be possible to have a block painted with different textures...

Perhaps different sides of the block can be realized through different materials.

But i don't know if it's possible for the Visualizer you've chosen. In any case, i can make a couple of blocks for such experiments.

Maybe, that for visualization, for the first time, it will be enough just a painted form without textures?

In appendix:

This utility allows to view the contents of resources without unpacking them, including available textures and meshes.

https://github.com/Perfare/AssetStudio/releases

The big problem lies in how your 3d-visualizer will texture blocks that will consist of a single mesh (and therefore - have one UV-scan...) It will not be possible to have a block painted with different textures...

That makes sense. The visualizer has no clue what a side is until you add additional information, right?

Perhaps different sides of the block can be realized through different materials.

But i don't know if it's possible for the Visualizer you've chosen. In any case, i can make a couple of blocks for such experiments.

Afaik it's possible. I've started with learning the 3d engine on sunday, so I dunno yet. Anyway, I'll take you up on your offer sooner or later. ;)

In appendix:

This utility allows to view the contents of resources without unpacking them, including available textures and meshes.

https://github.com/Perfare/AssetStudio/releases

That tool will be useful. Thank you.

Maybe, that for visualization, for the first time, it will be enough just a painted form without textures?

Maybe. I would prefer painted blocks though.^^

Changelog 0.71

- reactivated 'replace layers' feature

- added additional check for overlapping 'destination/source' layers to 'replace layers' feature

- fixed: closing option menu occasionally crashes the editor

That makes sense. The visualizer has no clue what a side is until you add additional information, right?

Yes, he shouldn't. Only 7dtd doing this and that with additional techniques, this his feature.

There is still an option to do it the way 7dtd does it. That is, you can render a cube using 6 separate planes (separate meshes). I would not call this method very complicated, but it is definitely - much more code and labor.

In general, i imagine a 3D-preview for the Editor of something like the same cubes, as in the usual view, only freely rotated on three axes...

(moreover, painted as well as in two-dimensional representation)

Perhaps at first, may be confine to the Form + texture rendering just based on the block material (ie, wood, concrete, iron, etc) ?

There is still an option to do it the way 7dtd does it. That is, you can render a cube using 6 separate planes (separate meshes). I would not call this method very complicated, but it is definitely - much more code and labor.

In general, i imagined a 3D-preview for the Editor of something like the same cubes only freely rotated on three axes...

I hate labor lol but it doesn't sound very difficult to me. Was already thinking about using planes instead of cubes. What do you mean by the last sentence?

Perhaps at first, would be confined to the Form + texture rendering just based on the block material (ie, wood, concrete, iron, etc) ?

That's probably a good idea. The editor is already able to read the materials.xml...

Another preview shot (construction site skyscraper):

lu8aV7R.jpg

....already - not true!

I am a filthy liar. ;)

Perhaps, it would be better just to paint the cubes in the color of blocks accepted in the Editor.

Аfter all, the task is to provide convenience in editing...?

Yes, that's still the goal. I guess I could add several display modes. Shouldn't be very time consuming.

Did the pack I sent give you what you need? I have a few modelers on that channel, too.

It will be very useful to me, yes. Thanks again! I am still working on basic stuff for the 3D View (voxel optimization, controls et cetera). Once the underlying system is ready, I can start adding block shapes.