Pets

Pattypuppet

Hey fellow survivors. I'm sure this subject has probably been broached already but I thought I'd add my spin on it.

Pets. Specifically a dog or a cat, but it could be other pets as well. These are the strongest contenders though.

How I would implement:

We already have cat food in game. We could also add dog food. I'm sure a hungry cat or dog wouldn't be picky in real life, but this is just in terms of a proposed game mechanic. Adult dogs and cats wouldn't necessarily be tamable, but might indicate a puppy or kitten in the vicinity somewhere. Maybe if you are really close you might hear a little yap or meow :).

Taming would consist of finding the prospective pet and setting down food for them. Different breeds might be more or less difficult to befriend, and differences could range from the purely aesthetic to the more utilitarian. For example, a small dog might be a zombie alarm and bring you little things for food that it catches outside, while a big dog might actually provide some defense. Cat's could also act as zombie alarms but maybe they bring you little things when you are hiding inside a house or base, like mice (food) or birds (feathers), which would be contrary to dogs which would hunt outside.

The kitten or puppie would have a health/water meter like us, and require food and water periodically and if taking damage. The longer you have the pet, the more loyal it becomes as indirectly indicated by it's growing in size to a full adult. How long this would take would have to be balanced in the interest of fun. But the longer you have a pet, the more loyal it becomes and consequently the more useful to you.

There could also be passive bonuses like a small health regen bonus, but not necessarily.

Of course, introducing pets might be a terrible idea. Getting the game from Alpha to Beta to Release of course is the primary objective but I am just tossing out ideas. It's my day off :)

Hey fellow survivors. I'm sure this subject has probably been broached already but I thought I'd add my spin on it.

Pets. Specifically a dog or a cat, but it could be other pets as well. These are the strongest contenders though.

How I would implement:

We already have cat food in game. We could also add dog food. I'm sure a hungry cat or dog wouldn't be picky in real life, but this is just in terms of a proposed game mechanic. Adult dogs and cats wouldn't necessarily be tamable, but might indicate a puppy or kitten in the vicinity somewhere. Maybe if you are really close you might hear a little yap or meow :).

Taming would consist of finding the prospective pet and setting down food for them. Different breeds might be more or less difficult to befriend, and differences could range from the purely aesthetic to the more utilitarian. For example, a small dog might be a zombie alarm and bring you little things for food that it catches outside, while a big dog might actually provide some defense. Cat's could also act as zombie alarms but maybe they bring you little things when you are hiding inside a house or base, like mice (food) or birds (feathers), which would be contrary to dogs which would hunt outside.

The kitten or puppie would have a health/water meter like us, and require food and water periodically and if taking damage. The longer you have the pet, the more loyal it becomes as indirectly indicated by it's growing in size to a full adult. How long this would take would have to be balanced in the interest of fun. But the longer you have a pet, the more loyal it becomes and consequently the more useful to you.

There could also be passive bonuses like a small health regen bonus, but not necessarily.

Of course, introducing pets might be a terrible idea. Getting the game from Alpha to Beta to Release of course is the primary objective but I am just tossing out ideas. It's my day off :)

The older the dog is the more meat you get when you cook it? Yes?

How I would implement:

This idea has potential. If not pets, maybe even add additional neutral animal mobs like wolves and bears etc. I think it'd be cool to see some animals actually fight against zombie mobs out in the wilderness, or turn on players who think that shooting them would be a brilliant idea.

A lot to sort out here with either idea, but they're still in Alpha so the sky is the limit.

Here's to hoping...

• 3 years later...

Awsome Idea

How I would implement:

i think its a great idea pets bring a huge amount of enjoyment to any game.

look at minecraft for example there dogs are pretty damn basic but they do what you need them to...

you would need some form of commands with them so that you could either leave them in your house or take them with you might be abit hard keeping them alive otherwise... i think what would make it really cook is having a skill on the skilltree to lvl up something in relation to pets to get more from it... maybe have there stregth go up if you lvl it maybe something that cant be lvled without spending 10points and firstly needs to have 10points spent on it before evan having the ability to evan get a pet like then the further upgrades make your pet stronger and/or the buff from your pet enhanced... i think there should be a similier skill upgrade with the flame turrets and arrow traps when they are realeased 10points to have the ability to biuld them and every upgrade after enhances them in some way this crates uniqueness for the player from other players and the more uniqueness a player has the option of having from others the better! it takes that uniqueness away if everyone is a jack off all trades and the uniqueness you have crated so far with the skilltree is amazing so why stop there.

sorry back to the pets lol.

how would you keep them alive? for example i play melee and when im allmost dead i haveto back off abit and use healthkits

a mdog cant use a health kit but maybe it could retrete to a safe zone like your house or maybe a kennal untill recoverd when low otherwise youd be going through dogs like crazy.

hope some of these ideas come of use to you.

How I would implement:

idk Where my last post went :/

Awsome Idea

i Think its a Great idea.

bringing pets to any game crates alot of fun.

if dogs a brought to the game i think there needs to be a skill inplace to be able to use them and maybe another skill to upgrade there stregth buff or stregth and buff.

i allso think that this should be implemented on auto turrets a skill to craft them and another to make them stronger

his crates a players uniqueness and thats important not everyone should have the same abilitys as everyone els and makes each persons charecter there own.

they would need some form of commands like attack and retreit or they just get in over there head and die all the time youd be going through dogs like crazy.

they allso should be faster than people and be useleff for hunting maybe when you hit an animal with an arrow they could chase it down and finish the job.

i Think its a Great idea.

bringing pets to any game crates alot of fun.

if dogs a brought to the game i think there needs to be a skill inplace to be able to use them and maybe another skill to upgrade there stregth buff or stregth and buff.

i allso think that this should be implemented on auto turrets a skill to craft them and another to make them stronger

his crates a players uniqueness and thats important not everyone should have the same abilitys as everyone els and makes each persons charecter there own.

they would need some form of commands like attack and retreit or they just get in over there head and die all the time youd be going through dogs like crazy.

they allso should be faster than people and be useleff for hunting maybe when you hit an animal with an arrow they could chase it down and finish the job.

Yeah the two Zombie dogs I adopted are pretty dumb. Could use some training but I think the virus ate most of their brains. They do stick with me pretty good and if they run off too long I just fire off a few shots and they come running back like it's a dog whistle .

• 8 months later...

I think it's a great idea! I'd love to have a trained guard dog that will notice other dogs, or animals that I'm not aware of and alert me. As far as cats? They can be more than just something you have to feed...They're good hunters, and they're stealthy. If you don't add birds, you could at least make them go out and return with bird meat and feathers lol

I know people love the idea of tameable animals, & that's totally cool. I'm just not a huge fan of the idea.

To me it's very unrealistic, outside of having a dog or even a cat I suppose.

The thought of seeing someone come zipping past, riding a mounted dire wolf just sounds really stupid to me.

I'd rather just see more vehicles like gyro choppers, quad bikes, hell even a bicycle.

But if they put it in, cool. Doesn't mean I have to utilize it.

Archived