A change I'd like to see

The Rogue Tomato

Right now, at least in Navezgane, zombies spawn around POIs like stores. If you want to get into the store, you'll have to eliminated them.

What I'd like is a more zombie-movie like feel. One, maybe two zombies outside the store. But several zombies who remain quiet IN the store, perhaps even hidden behind things, and only "wake up" when you're relatively close enough to be attacked.

Maybe randomize it a bit so that you don't know if a particular store will have one or two quiet zombies inside, or a whole bunch of them.

And then, of course, set the respawn rate of the zombies to be equal to the respawn rate of the loot in the store. So if you come back to re-loot it, you're faced with the same decision on how to handle looting the store.

Hi Rogue Tomato!

Yeah the developers have the same idea, where majority of the zombies are "sleeper zombies" and only wake up as you get in and around them. My understanding is that it'll make the gameplay quite different, in that instead of just clearing the streets and happily looting buildings, you now have to sneak around and try to avoid rousing the sleeping (or hibernating might be better) zombies in the buildings themselves.

It should make for a better and more spooky experience, while also enhancing performance as the game doesn't need to spawn all these zombies to be a thread, they can be "waiting" for the players in the buildings. So instead of 60 zombies outside where you see 10, I hope it'll be nicely randomized so you go into an apartment building and maybe see no zombies.. or 1... or 50, depending on random and how much noise you make. No more boarding up the bottom floor and safely looting.

We'll see how the specific implementation is, but once the mechanics are in place, tweaks to change it should be far easier :)

--------------------

-

Hi Rogue Tomato!

Yeah the developers have the same idea, where majority of the zombies are "sleeper zombies" and only wake up as you get in and around them. My understanding is that it'll make the gameplay quite different, in that instead of just clearing the streets and happily looting buildings, you now have to sneak around and try to avoid rousing the sleeping (or hibernating might be better) zombies in the buildings themselves.

It should make for a better and more spooky experience, while also enhancing performance as the game doesn't need to spawn all these zombies to be a thread, they can be "waiting" for the players in the buildings. So instead of 60 zombies outside where you see 10, I hope it'll be nicely randomized so you go into an apartment building and maybe see no zombies.. or 1... or 50, depending on random and how much noise you make. No more boarding up the bottom floor and safely looting.

We'll see how the specific implementation is, but once the mechanics are in place, tweaks to change it should be far easier :)

I like the idea of the sleepers, but not in stores. It's already bad enough when they wander in on their own and destroy a crate or bookshelf when they do that silly "I'll just flail wildly because my pathfinding is borked in this aisle" glitch.

They originally had zeds spawn inside poi's but the issue was they would thrash the building trying to get out to eat you. It also made entering a building easier (with no tools) and clearing them out, since the zeds created a easy entry point while getting out and then you just needed to wait and led them down the road a bit and double back to an empty poi.

So hopefully the sleeper system will bring back that intense feeling of uncertainty entering a dark building again (the issue of having zeds that can easily destroy building blocks and their memory being so high in continuing to destroy things in their path for so long).

• 2 years later...

Argee and Disagree..... and GET RID OF ATTACK STRUCTURAL INTEGRITY

No I disagree there are way too many Zeds inside stores and houses now, Way to many, for the people who play multiplayer alone, and the level of zed is too high as well... I do agree that the zeds should equal the loot you get. as it is now I will be a level 7 and get feral zeds with cloth loot. and the Zeds attacking the main Structural integrity of poles or stilts on builds is no fun and is killing the multi player game on unoffical type servers, it has ruined fort fighting and POI fighting because the server owners just have to Teleport the zeds away because, they don't have time to constantly repair the damage caused to their Structural integrity of the buildings. Due to the new Pathing zed you can only build Maze like structures to fight zeds. it is Stupid and boring, Suggestion.... keep the zeds as they are now. But REMOVE the attack Structural integrity part like in Alpha 16.4 Building and fighting in that version was so much more fun. GET RID OF ATTACK STRUCTURAL INTEGRITY

No I disagree there are way too many Zeds inside stores and houses now, Way to many, for the people who play multiplayer alone, and the level of zed is too high as well... I do agree that the zeds should equal the loot you get. as it is now I will be a level 7 and get feral zeds with cloth loot. and the Zeds attacking the main Structural integrity of poles or stilts on builds is no fun and is killing the multi player game on unoffical type servers, it has ruined fort fighting and POI fighting because the server owners just have to Teleport the zeds away because, they don't have time to constantly repair the damage caused to their Structural integrity of the buildings. Due to the new Pathing zed you can only build Maze like structures to fight zeds. it is Stupid and boring, Suggestion.... keep the zeds as they are now. But REMOVE the attack Structural integrity part like in Alpha 16.4 Building and fighting in that version was so much more fun. GET RID OF ATTACK STRUCTURAL INTEGRITY

You realize this post is over 2 years old right?....

Archived