[Known Issue] Player Reset / Wipe and Bugged Inventory

Clare

My brother and I both updated to patch 7 (ps4) and started a new private game without adjusting any of the default settings. He is the host. The second time we played, my character was still intact, however, the third time, it was reset (haven't played again since, but I suspect the resetting will continue). We were having this problem before the patch, as well. Let me know if you need any other information!

Update on this: The fourth time playing, my character was intact from the third time. And the fifth time, it was once again reset. Recently, I've been playing around with how we end the game, in an attempt to avoid data corruption (though it could be happening when we start a game, I suppose).

1st time: I logged off first followed by host. Result: character intact next play session

2nd: I logged off first followed by host. Result: character reset next session

3rd: My character locked up following a respawn from death. I force closed the application. Result: character intact next session

4th: I logged off first followed by host. Result: character reset next session

5th: I force closed the application. Haven't played a 6th time yet. Will update.

I do put my PS4 into sleep mode between each session, usually without closing the app. Unsure if this may or may not affect things.

Update on this: The fourth time playing, my character was intact from the third time. And the fifth time, it was once again reset. Recently, I've been playing around with how we end the game, in an attempt to avoid data corruption (though it could be happening when we start a game, I suppose).

1st time: I logged off first followed by host. Result: character intact next play session

2nd: I logged off first followed by host. Result: character reset next session

3rd: My character locked up following a respawn from death. I force closed the application. Result: character intact next session

4th: I logged off first followed by host. Result: character reset next session

5th: I force closed the application. Haven't played a 6th time yet. Will update.

I do put my PS4 into sleep mode between each session, usually without closing the app. Unsure if this may or may not affect things.

respawm character lock can be fixed by turning off your controller and turning it back on , i have tested this method more than once so if you die and your character doesn't move when you respawn , just turn off your controller and turn it back on this will fix that issue as for the character reset i have yet to experience this issue

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone on PS4 have a save created AFTER 1.10. was released that they'd be willing to send the team to have a look at?

For those of you commenting that it's happened multiple times, please note, once the issue happens in your save, it is likely to happen again. If it is happening in multiple saves please specify. Also please let me know what your OMP connection is like. Are you wireless or wired, what are your up and download speeds etc. This issue occurs because of bad data being sent from client to host. A drop in connection may have effected this.

Does anyone on PS4 have a save created AFTER 1.10. was released that they'd be willing to send the team to have a look at?

For those of you commenting that it's happened multiple times, please note, once the issue happens in your save, it is likely to happen again. If it is happening in multiple saves please specify. Also please let me know what your OMP connection is like. Are you wireless or wired, what are your up and download speeds etc. This issue occurs because of bad data being sent from client to host. A drop in connection may have effected this.

Playing 3 different games on Xbox one with version 1.0.10 online multiplayer. All games are lasting between 1.25 and 1.5 hours before crashing. All games have experienced user created content disappearance after reload after a crash. Disappearance of mini-bikes has become bad enough to discourage use. Anything built in an existing map structure is almost guaranteed to completely disappear. completely custom user structures sometimes survive but are often impacted such that they are missing things like walls and floors, planted crops disappear storage boxes full of content completely disappear. In one save an entire mine system disappeared.

i have one i can look into how to send it to you guys its a save i did well after the last update and hot fix and i have recently had the MD5 the last time i loaded it up i save regularly to a thumb drive so ill see if i can figure out to compress the file and send it to y'all via email

[iN PROGRESS - FIX FOUND] *please read details below

NOTE: If this happens to you in a NEW game AFTER patch 7, please submit a new report about it as it means the fix didn't take or there could be two things causing the same error.

This issue occurs when a data exchange from a client to a host sends some bad data. This data overwrites the previous save data about the client that is maintained by the host, causing the client to hit level 1 again. Unfortunately because the save data is overwritten there is no way to retrieve the lost levels and stats.

The other issue that can sometimes occur in tandem with the levels wipe, is where the inventory also becomes bugged - the game believes he inventory is full when it is not. This presents the same issue as mentioned above, however, because there is currently no way to delete a player from the game to allow them to start fresh, there is no way to remove the inventory data for that player from the save.

Players who experience this should have no issue joining or creating games with the same players again, but the save this occurred in can not be restored (unless you are on PS4 and have a backup)

The fix: The team have been working on a fix for this issue so bad data will not be saved or overwrite any saves. However this fix with only prevent the issues mentioned above from happening again, rather than restoring saves.

Clare

I made a thread a week or so ago about this issue and have since started a new private game with my brother. Six days into our game his character has now been reset just like before and the issue has not been resolved. This honestly really sucks.

Can you help me understand something. When you say "bad data" is being sent to the other player what exactly does that mean? Also why is the host the only player that can load the "world" that the other players play in? Could this be part of the issue?

Hi.

I started my world in 1.08 and me and 1 other buddy started on the same day. Same world created by me. We have played since 1.08 and haven't received any inventory glitches. Once I logged off bcuz of a game crash and relogged with nothing but lvls still there. Thought this could help somehow.

I made a thread a week or so ago about this issue and have since started a new private game with my brother. Six days into our game his character has now been reset just like before and the issue has not been resolved. This honestly really sucks.

Can you help me understand something. When you say "bad data" is being sent to the other player what exactly does that mean? Also why is the host the only player that can load the "world" that the other players play in? Could this be part of the issue?

Sorry I'm only seeing your message now Jester. From what I understand, when the client is connecting to the host, data is sent that identifies the client as one who has played before, and the game loads all the save information associated with that profile. When there is a problem with that data (could be a connection blip, or an incomplete file being sent, I'm not entirely sure of the cause myself) the players info loads incorrectly as being a player starting from scratch. This can then overwrite the players original data with the save, and cause issues, including the bug repeating itself.

The host is the only one who can load the world, because the host maintains that save game. The game is not done via servers, rather it is more the host starting their own game, and asking the client to join them. The save is maintained entirely by the host. So to answer your question, this is related as I stated above by the multiplayer connection sending information incorrectly, however possibly not the cause in the way you thoughts it was.

- - - Updated - - -

I started my world in 1.08 and me and 1 other buddy started on the same day. Same world created by me. We have played since 1.08 and haven't received any inventory glitches. Once I logged off bcuz of a game crash and relogged with nothing but lvls still there. Thought this could help somehow.

Thank you, good to know the original fix is still working for some. However it sounds like you suffered from an MD5 error and for that I am sorry. I know how frustrating that is.

Just joined wifes game and I've been reset

So was super excited to join the wife and finish building the new tunnel and ride our first new minibikes down it but once I login BOOM im hit with gut wrenching realization that I have not only lost EVERTHING in my inventory but ALL my schematics/skills/level/ect everything I have worked COUNTLESS hours on poof GONE, this is SO frusturating, so I do a quick google search and whaddyaknow this is a KNOWN issue and ontop of that 3+ months OLD known issue, clearly the devs arent doing much if its a GAME BREAKING bug and its 3+ months old, I barely bought this game last week, looks like im getting a refund for buyers remorse, good luck to you all waiting for this 3+month old glitch getting resolved soon or if at all ever.

Lost all inventory,all my main stock, guns whole main base reset back to the way it originally was when I found it lost over 2 months of work and pretty much everything, If this can be fixed please let me know, almost don't want to even play anymore

if you're playing on the PS4 you can back up your save games to a USB drive periodically , if you're on the the xb1 i think you can back up saves to the cloud and do the regularly that way if you get reset again you have a un-corrupted save to reload .

if you're playing on the PS4 you can back up your save games to a USB drive periodically , if you're on the the xb1 i think you can back up saves to the cloud and do the regularly that way if you get reset again you have a un-corrupted save to reload .

I have tried this and it does not work.

I have tried backing up to PS online and a USB drive and neither of them worked.

My brother and I have been trying to find a fix for this for weeks. Restarted the world and everything after the patch still nothing.

Do we have anymore updates on this?

Sorry I'm only seeing your message now Jester. From what I understand, when the client is connecting to the host, data is sent that identifies the client as one who has played before, and the game loads all the save information associated with that profile. When there is a problem with that data (could be a connection blip, or an incomplete file being sent, I'm not entirely sure of the cause myself) the players info loads incorrectly as being a player starting from scratch. This can then overwrite the players original data with the save, and cause issues, including the bug repeating itself.

*The host is the only one who can load the world, because the host maintains that save game. The game is not done via servers, rather it is more the host starting their own game, and asking the client to join them. The save is maintained entirely by the host. So to answer your question, this is related as I stated above by the multiplayer connection sending information incorrectly, however possibly not the cause in the way you thoughts it was.*

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you, good to know the original fix is still working for some. However it sounds like you suffered from an MD5 error and for that I am sorry. I know how frustrating that is.

In that case why hasn't a server been created for it? This appears to be an issue that is effecting a lot of people.

Could it be possible that we are receiving the wrong save data? I noticed the last time this happened that the data received was "settings" data and not actually game data. Could it be possible that the system is reading that and loading you into the world with whatever default settings you have personally?

This is just upsetting because I actually like this same and would hate to stop playing it because of this bug.

I have tried this and it does not work.

I have tried backing up to PS online and a USB drive and neither of them worked.

My brother and I have been trying to find a fix for this for weeks. Restarted the world and everything after the patch still nothing.

Do we have anymore updates on this?

No fix for the save data once corrupted, if its an MD5 (world reset) issue, clear your systems save file and then download the save file backup up on USB. I check all is still there before I log off. Then make a manual backup save on a USB when logged out (format this to FAT 32 for much faster backup)

If its a player 2 reset to level 0, then there was an issue storing the player2 stats when you logged out. Host has to be the last one to log out, all other players need to log out first (suggest one at a time) so that the player data can be stored on the Host machine and save file. Host should log out only when all other players have logged out and the Host should wait to se the autosave circle doing a save.

If you all just disconnect or Host just switches off then you end up with corrupted other player data.

No fix for the save data once corrupted, if its an MD5 (world reset) issue, clear your systems save file and then download the save file backup up on USB. I check all is still there before I log off. Then make a manual backup save on a USB when logged out (format this to FAT 32 for much faster backup)

If its a player 2 reset to level 0, then there was an issue storing the player2 stats when you logged out. Host has to be the last one to log out, all other players need to log out first (suggest one at a time) so that the player data can be stored on the Host machine and save file. Host should log out only when all other players have logged out and the Host should wait to se the autosave circle doing a save.

If you all just disconnect or Host just switches off then you end up with corrupted other player data.

We've tried this. I'm typically player 2 in this case...First I log off, backup the data, and then turn the put the system into rest mode. Then the host will log off. We always do it this way and it works usually up until about day 6 or 7 and then suddenly my stats will reset.

Should I be turning the system completely off to prevent a wipe?

We've tried this. I'm typically player 2 in this case...First I log off, backup the data, and then turn the put the system into rest mode. Then the host will log off. We always do it this way and it works usually up until about day 6 or 7 and then suddenly my stats will reset.

Should I be turning the system completely off to prevent a wipe?

It's worth powering down fully rather than leaving your console on rest/stanby when not in use, so the console has time to clear the cache memory. This may help stop the wipes.

I will try this and keep you updated.

Does the new update provide a possible fix as well?

Didn't see anything but the patch notes aren't a complete list. It's also possible that a fix for something else could affect this issue. The patch should be available now, so the only thing you can do is download it and try it out.

Archived