Animal Farming

Metsalknight

I know I can't be the first person to have thought this.

For ages we've been able to grow food; potatoes, coffee, blueberries, corn etc. (There really needs to be more - carrots, cabbages, tomatoes, apples - maybe a greenhouse)

Anyway, what about meat and egg farming. Could there be a pigsty and henhouse build.

With the henhouse, once built, instead of just killing chickens, you can capture them; pick them up like any free object. Then you can place them in your prebuilt hen house. Say a maximum of 6 per coup. Then on a daily basis you can farm eggs - more chickens, more eggs. This could also be a way of farming feathers, as you'd find them in the coup too. Also, if you decide you need meat, you kill a chicken - instant meat.

With a pigsty - once created you then craft a pig lure - maybe some food bait and the pigs will randomly start coming to your pigsty. Max 4 a build. This just means you have an onsite meat supply. Also, you could farm the sty for pig manure, which works like human turds for making fertiliser.

The down side is - zombies will be more attracted to a livestock farm, so you'll get more visits from the walking dead. And the zombies will kill the live stock if you don't protect them.

Perhaps having 2 of an animal in a structure could have a random chance of breeding more?

Deer will obvs still roam free.

Going back, I think a greenhouse build would be good too, to grow crops like tomatoes and other things that need to be warm. Whether this was something you can build to any size with smaller blocks, or a prebuilt structure, I don't know.

I like this idea! +1

If we got additional veggies, fruit, and cattle, it would be good if you could farm then for other things other than meat.

Wool, milk, eggs, feathers, etc etc.

With those additions, you could then cook better meals, and craft better clothes and even better bedrolls with added benefits.

Eventually, you'd have a self sustainable mega complex. Lol

Valmod has, as I understand it, a chicken coop you can build that "grows" chickens using the same system as farming does. (The game checks the tile every so often, gives the plant a chance to grow to the next stage.) I think it's a great idea for adding to the game.

I know in an apocalypse, I'd be gathering up fertile eggs from nearby farms and raising my own chickens somewhere the zombies couldn't easily hear them. (You ever heard chickens? They're not quiet when they get themselves going.)

Trying to add pig farming into the game could be interesting. Imagine a "workbench" that looks like a shed. You fill it with rotting flesh, since pigs seem to eat anything, and every so often a new pig pops out and starts running around. :)

MM mentioned that they can't add animals at the moment because a server is limited to 60 entities at once.

However, as long as the buildings [like chicken coup] were just blocks that represented animals it could work.

Have a coup that you feed grain into and out pops eggs. I know it's not perfect, but it wouldn't lag your computer.

You could do the same with a Barn too for cows.

I really want to make Banana Cream Pie. I need cream. :(

• 1 year later...

Similar thoughts

Playing along this game I found the endgame came a little fast. Mostly the concept of infinite vegetables "now what"? And had an idea for the game that was in this thread.

I was looking at this and thought: why not have animal workstations? Animals couldn't be kept as entities because of cpu issues; I get it.

What about capturing a goat and using it in a barnlike structure to produce milk and cheese?

Live animals SHOULD require food and water. They could also produce feces for fertilizer. What if they required a constant intake of vegetables to stay alive (like fuel), and if in good health: producing something edible? Chickens could even produce 4 eggs per day per coop and take up 36units by 3 vertical units, as well as feathers. Some animal could produce dairy... Let's have dairy.

A tomahawk would also be nice. Wood handle +iron/steel strike +leather grip +feather decoration? It could be thrown, and turn into a block with a 65% chance.

valmod coops just cough up a nest with eggs and/or feathers.

Animal trap gets you meat. (one time use though)

I'll go days without seeing a single critter, then it's like 3 pigs, 4 deer, a wolf in one day.

RNG is RNG.

(I don't even try for the bunnies and chickens... well, not very often)

Thats why I only use Starvation MOD when I play 7 Days. It has all that -

Animal farming - with cows, sheeps, pigs. More crops like onions, garlic, pepper, tomatos, apples, bananas and many more.

Pet taming. Many more animals.

I can even tame and breed german sheppards. And much more Endgame. Only bad ting is, I cannat go back to Vanilla

Optimizations could be done to allow farmed animals.

The 60 entities per server limit is absurd. Minecraft can have 1000 chickens in a small area and still run smoothly. Don't even say how different it is from 7DTD because I already know and that is no excuse. If you code it properly, it can be done.

Regarding the performance:

Chicken: could be just animated decoration entities (non of the overhead of real critters running around), they could be locked to a chicken-den block area.

the player can then pick them up or place them.

When placed outside the den, they become real critters again, that can run away.

Could be done in a similar way with other animals like pigs.

Optimizations could be done to allow farmed animals.

The 60 entities per server limit is absurd. Minecraft can have 1000 chickens in a small area and still run smoothly. Don't even say how different it is from 7DTD because I already know and that is no excuse. If you code it properly, it can be done.

... Well Minecraft is LWJGL

... 7DTD is Unity.

Engines have limits. And Unity when it comes to multiplayer just sucks AFAIK. ;x

... Well Minecraft is LWJGL

... 7DTD is Unity.

Engines have limits. And Unity when it comes to multiplayer just sucks AFAIK. ;x

Two very different engines though. Minecraft is very good at what it does with its engine however.

Archived