A16 - GNAMOD World {Improved of RWG world, Improved loot balance, Improved spawns}

Haidrgna

Hey Haidrgna,

I am working on a combo pack using War of the Walkers as the base mod.

Is it okay if I use your random gen code in the mod?

This is for personal use and maybe sharing with my friends, but I might release it for public use if it works well for us.

Just wanted to know how "comfortable" you are with sharing your brain child.

You can use it, for personal use its really no issue at all. If you release it, I would appreciate a link/credit so people can also find the mod how I made it :)

I think my world is already being used in certain mods, I have given Spider and Slaan permission to use it on top of my head.

After searching around with this mod added in I've noticed one major issue with this.

This doesn't have cities nor towns generate in the world.

I've looked for hours upon hours and haven't ran across a single city or town except for central city[or 0,0]

Now I'm not sure if there is a type of conflict with Valmod or what but I had to remove this mod so I can have

cities and towns back in the game.

After searching around with this mod added in I've noticed one major issue with this.

This doesn't have cities nor towns generate in the world.

I've looked for hours upon hours and haven't ran across a single city or town except for central city[or 0,0]

Now I'm not sure if there is a type of conflict with Valmod or what but I had to remove this mod so I can have

cities and towns back in the game.

There is no conflict, that is by design. In A15 the towns/cities create giant craters in the world, since my worlds can be very mountainous this effect is amplified even more, creating cities that are inside boxes of higher terrain (cities are always generated at height -28).

Instead all POIs that normally would spawn in a town are now scattered around in a cell and the shops/better POIs spawn in the center of them, the rural hubs. In addition there are more of them. The city POIs spawn in the central wasteland and in other wasteland biomes.

Also note, that the world was not created for Valmod, I merely facilitate that Valmod can be easily played with my world. My own mod also has other values and loot changed to work with this world to create a more challenging experience.

Also note, that the world was not created for Valmod, I merely facilitate that Valmod can be easily played with my world. My own mod also has other values and loot changed to work with this world to create a more challenging experience.

The install instructions for use with Valmod were either vague or I couldn't understand them, do you mind sharing a brief bullet point list of what to install and in what order if I'm starting on a fresh install?

Here is what I've done for my current try:

-Fresh install of game

-Install Valmod (Overhaul) as per the link currently in the main thread

-Install GnamodWorldValmodFix.rar as per the instructions

When I do this, the Valmod UI goes all ♥♥♥♥y with red question marks so I have to edit the three UI config files (seems to be a common problem, I found it easily on google). The commonly reported fix works great for me on the UI.

Enemies & Spawning: I normally hate playing with special mobs in the game such as dogs, spider zombies, or cop zombies, so I find&replace in the entitygroups.xml file to edit them out of the spawn list. I keep hornets, because eh why not. This is another fix I've found commonly throughout the internet. https://steamcommunity.com/app/251570/discussions/5/624075566986391647/

After doing this with the above install order, literally nothing spawns in game. I backtracked a bit and stopped after installing Valmod, but still applied my same fixes to the UI and entitygroups.xml files, and things seem to work as expected. Is there a reason why the xml fixes would work with only Valmod, and not Valmod + Gnamod?

Essentially, here is my ideal: Valmod + Gnamod with no zombie cops, spitters/exploders, spider zombies, or zombie dogs. Any other specials I'm cool with, including hornets.

In theory it should have worked so we should see what went wrong.

Unless there has been a (very) recent update to Valmod that added in new blocks, in which case my fixes could break it as I have not updated them in a while. I have done a minor fix in Blocks.xml and I think one in Spawning.xml. In blocks there is one fox for the lootwasteland block which otherwise will appear as a placeholder blocks on a few POIs I used as decoration. The spawning fix makes sure that the snow transition biome spawns from the correct list. Essentially the mod is playable without these fixes.

But my guess is that something went wrong with replacing the zombies. No zombies spawning generally means there is some error in either spawning.xml or entitygroups.xml. You can try and look in the console/ dm menu and then pressing f3 to see what is spawning. But I reckon that by no zombies the biome zombies are the ones that are absent meaning that the others likely also do not work.

My suggestion is to try it without editing out the special zombies first, if that works then you have to apply the fixes you want a bit more carefully. If it does not work without your fixes to the files then there must be something wrong in spawning.xml and then I suggest using the one from Valmod and see if that does work.

Hello there!

Bit of a noob question - I'm new to 7 Days.

Looking to try out this mod - looks amazing.

I just wondered, I've been playing vanilla game with the vanilla map.

What happens when I load this mod? Do I start a game with the vanilla map or do I click on randomly generated and if I do click on randomly generated how do I set the size of the map?

Many thanks!

Hello there!

Bit of a noob question - I'm new to 7 Days.

Looking to try out this mod - looks amazing.

I just wondered, I've been playing vanilla game with the vanilla map.

What happens when I load this mod? Do I start a game with the vanilla map or do I click on randomly generated and if I do click on randomly generated how do I set the size of the map?

Many thanks!

This mod is targeted at Random Gen.

If you choose a random gen map, the changes that this mod does will choose the map size. There are different sizes available for you to choose from when installing the mod.

Like AlienZ already answered you can select different sizes (the default is 10000 radius like vanilla is.)

Though honestly the sizes hardly matter for playing solo, the very small one will confine you a bit more as the wastelands are bigger relative to the rest of the land due to their fixed size. But even the 5000 world is still big enough you wont easily run out of stuff to explore.

But you definitely need to create a new game otherwise you will not see the changes to random gen. If you start Navezgane, well it probably works but since I rewrote the biomes and those being on fixed places in Navezgane will probably make it look odd. But you would also miss out on the unique terrain :)

Have fun trying it out :)

@Haidrgna

I made 2 new material types i would like to add to the BIOMES, I am however a little unclear on how to properly manipulate the "layers" and the numbers associate... or where the new Material code would go for that matter as there are 2 sections which refer and reference materials and more in the Layers of each one.. if you have time, could you "in brief" provide some measure of guidance ? ..

thank you.

You mean adding in new Terrain (diamond shaped) blocks to be generated in the ground, along with whatever else is already being spawned there? Or do you mean by material, actualy materials as defined in the materials xml, since that is something really different :)

I gather it is the first, which means you probably have to go over every biome and replace or add in rules for the new blocks.

If you want something like a Hardstone layer you probably simply replace the layers you like and only need to change the block name (stone) to whatever you replace it with. If you want to add in more ores, well thats a bit more complicated but entirely doable as well. You should then take a look at the code of one of the ore subbiomes, the ore's are spawned as part of layers, replacing either a few blocks or bigger clusters, depending on what you choose and a probability, which sort of defines how much of it you will actually find.

If you need more explanation let me know.

If you want to add in more ores,

Thats what i would like to do, yes, i created in (materials xml) the copper and zinc ores .... for smelting into slag to be formed into brass :)

Yes.. i was looking at the ore sub biomes .. and thats where i got a little lost :)

Ok Here we go:

This is the code of the first sub biome of the Snow biome, it should work this way for all sub biomes and the main biome.

<!-- Clay Subbiome -->
<subbiome prob="0.10">
<layers>
	<layer depth="2" blockname="snow" />
	<layer depth="5" blockname="clay" > 
		<resource blockname="dirt" cluster="0" prob="0.20" rwgGenerationType="all" /> 
		<resource blockname="gravel" cluster="1" prob="0.811" rwgGenerationType="all" /> 
	</layer>
	<layer depth="*" blockname="stone" >
		<resource blockname="ironOre" 	cluster="1" prob="0.1130" rwgGenerationType="all" />
		<resource blockname="gravel" 	cluster="1" prob="0.8130" rwgGenerationType="all" />
		<resource blockname="silverOre"  cluster="1" prob="0.00020" rwgGenerationType="all" />
		<resource blockname="goldOre"    cluster="1" prob="0.00010" rwgGenerationType="all" />
		<resource blockname="diamondOre" cluster="1" prob="0.00005" rwgGenerationType="all" />
	</layer>
	<layer depth="1" blockname="stone" > <resource blockname="gravel" cluster="1" prob="0.8130" rwgGenerationType="all" /> </layer>
	[color="#FF0000"]<layer depth="10" blockname="stone" >[/color]
		[color="#00FF00"]<resource blockname="potassiumNitrate"[/color] [color="#0000FF"]cluster="1" prob="0.1130"[/color] [color="#00FF00"]rwgGenerationType="all"  />[/color]
		<resource blockname="gravel" cluster="1" prob="0.8130" rwgGenerationType="all" />
		<resource blockname="silverOre"  cluster="1" prob="0.0020" rwgGenerationType="all" />
		<resource blockname="goldOre"    cluster="1" prob="0.0010" rwgGenerationType="all" />
		<resource blockname="diamondOre" cluster="1" prob="0.0005" rwgGenerationType="all" />
	[color="#FF0000"]</layer>[/color]
	<layer depth="1" blockname="stone" > <resource blockname="gravel" cluster="1" prob="0.8130" rwgGenerationType="all" /> </layer>
	<layer depth="3" blockname="bedrock" />
</layers>
<decorations>
	<decoration type="block" blockname="rock05" prob =".001" />
	<decoration type="block" blockname="rock06" prob =".001" />
	<decoration type="block" blockname="rock07" prob =".001" />
	<decoration type="block" blockname="rockResource" prob =".015" rotatemax="3"/>
	<decoration type="block" blockname="rockResource02" prob =".015" rotatemax="3"/>
	<decoration type="block" blockname="cntBirdnest" prob ="0.002" />
	<decoration type="block" blockname="lootForest" prob="0.001"/>
	<decoration type="block" blockname="plantedBlueberry3Harvest" prob=".001"/>
	<decoration type="block" blockname="snowberry3Harvest" prob =".1" />
	<decoration type="block" blockname="treeSnowyGrassDiagonal" prob =".4" />
</decorations>
</subbiome>

Highlighted in Red is the layer that you could edit or change. In this case it is a layer of stone of 10 blocks deep.

Highlighted in Green is one of the ores that is being spawned within this layer. In this case Potassium Nitrate. If you want to add in new ore you will add one like this (along with the rest of the line).

Highlighted in Blue is the code that determines how and how much ore is being spawned within this layer. From top of memory, I think cluster="0" creates big solid clusters, cluster="1" is default and cluster="2" creates sparse. Probability here determines how much/how big the clusters are. Higher prob means more ore. I have used default values for this mostly.

Example of newly added ore to a layer:

<resource blockname="MyNewOre" cluster="1" prob="0.1130" rwgGenerationType="all" />

As you can see you can really go out of your way in adding in ores or changing how much/how deep or how they are spawned. I did not do much on it for Gnamod World as in it mostly uses default code for it. Just keep in mind if you add in new layers, if you make the total amount of them to large you could end up with a hole in the world in certain biomes (like water) that are spawned in places where the world is not so deep. The * layer fills in the difference in height of the world.

Haidrgna,

"I would love to be able to create more variation (some biomes being full of houses, some almost empty), but I am not sure yet how to do that."

1. Can the "biome" mechanic be cloned, renamed and in this way allow the creation of distinct populated areas? If this was possible you might have the palettes to use greater precision and customization ( i.e. larger selections of POI's but not at the default height level, not creating huge flats areas and walls). You might be able to have greater precision in POI placement by footprint size and internal "ground level" height modifications within the custom biome "larger town" (i.e a Town on a hill but the roads, gradients , height changes and POI placement makes sense.).

2. If "biome" mechanic can't be cloned can one be co-opted? Can you just hijack one, gut it from it's original purpose and redesign whats in it?

3. Is there any filler coding "objects" (containers) in between the biomes that can be used to create a custom "rogue" biome?

-Waylander

@Haidrgna , thank you much .... i have made the modifications and more to the sub biom ore list tables.. knowing what the variables mean helped a lot... especially the "*" .. that was one vague ass addition.

@synergylinks102, with Alpha 16 and the new socket system, POIs are going to make a huge change to how they are distributed/used .. which i think is why many modders.. are kind of backing off till a16 ...

Haidrgna,

"I would love to be able to create more variation (some biomes being full of houses, some almost empty), but I am not sure yet how to do that."

1. Can the "biome" mechanic be cloned, renamed and in this way allow the creation of distinct populated areas? If this was possible you might have the palettes to use greater precision and customization ( i.e. larger selections of POI's but not at the default height level, not creating huge flats areas and walls). You might be able to have greater precision in POI placement by footprint size and internal "ground level" height modifications within the custom biome "larger town" (i.e a Town on a hill but the roads, gradients , height changes and POI placement makes sense.).

2. If "biome" mechanic can't be cloned can one be co-opted? Can you just hijack one, gut it from it's original purpose and redesign whats in it?

3. Is there any filler coding "objects" (containers) in between the biomes that can be used to create a custom "rogue" biome?

-Waylander

1. I am not quite sure I fully understand what you want, but Biomes and POIs are really something different in this game, as in POI placement is mostly unrelated to Biomes with the exception of the Biome allowances of specific POIs.

As Loxodrome mentioned before, the current version of RWG is very limited in what can be done, towns and cities are placed at fixed heights and spacing on the map, these are called Cells. Each Cell has a hub which is a town/city/rural town and has roads connecting to POIs. Cells do not care for Biomes as in each are added separately by different parts of the code and thus they will never form a unity like you think they could have, this means you can manipulate either to get a result you might want but since there is so much random there will always be seeds where it wont be as you want.

2/3. I re purposed several Biomes for my mod, to create the better looking world. Current version does not allow new biomes to be created, hopefully this will be fixed in A16.

But your original question: You want to create a world where some parts are without much POIs and others with more urbanization. There are a few options you have within the current RWG that could work for you.

The first is the wilderness rule in rwgmixer.xml

<wilderness_rule name="wildernessDefault" spawn_min_max=[color="#FF0000"]"200,200"[/color]>
		<path_material value="asphalt" /> 
		<path_radius value="3" />
		<prefab_rule name="BiomePOIs" prob="1"/>
	</wilderness_rule>

I cranked up the POI spawning of biomes to a large number so it will always spawn max for each cell. You can create various cell rules and wilderness rules with more random, smaller or larger numbers here. Setting it to 0 I think will make a cell with no wilderness POIs. If you add in a hub center for such a cell without any POIs in it would create a rather empty place with only some roads.

Another option is Custom Hubs.

This one is a bit tougher, some people are working on these and I know how they work as well but have not used them to much. But you can specify specific hubs to show up on specific spots on the map (well on specific Cell coordinates, normally only done for the Cell coordinate 0,0, but 0,1 or -1,5 could be used as well).

Custom hubs with custom roads, specific POIs at specific spaces can all be done. In my code there is a custom grid I made to for test. It had all the same problems as normal cities so I stopped working on it, but could be used to go crazy if you do not mind: Insane height drops, roads on water with water going all way down to bedrock.

But bottom line is, a lot is possible if you are willing to invest time in it. Which is the bottleneck since A16 is still not released and any work on RWG might not be usable in it.

• 4 weeks later...

A question on how to install the world only to a hosted server by hosthavoc. I see it says to copy the config folder and the prefab folder over. Ok simple enough what about the options folder? Does it go last for it over writes the RWG file. Another question about ram usage what size would you recommend for 8GB of ram? or does the ram not matter for the client side only the server side?

A question on how to install the world only to a hosted server by hosthavoc. I see it says to copy the config folder and the prefab folder over. Ok simple enough what about the options folder? Does it go last for it over writes the RWG file. Another question about ram usage what size would you recommend for 8GB of ram? or does the ram not matter for the client side only the server side?

The options folder does not need to be copied over, you only pick the files from it you want and copy those to the config folder (overwrite the others or instead of them, both options are valid, they are the same files with some different settings basically).

As for RAM usage by RWG, I am not so sure anymore it really affects it to much, but probably should use the default size or the smaller ones. Though testing it out with a bigger one to see how it work since it is really machine specific how things run. I think it mostly matters for the server side since it does the load of generation, though clients also need it.

But performance of the world is something you need to test a bit as I can only speak for my own system. It does make more terrain objects than vanilla and likely this will affect the file sizes and thus memory consumption.

I loaded up a map for the first time and I like it. I see a lot of green I assume that is by choice. I couldn't find any desert though or plains so far. I notice instead of paths I see roads is this by choice?

Yes, the paths in my opinion look better when they are made from asphalt, they are also wider than in vanilla. The plains biome is grassland, so its a lot greener with patches of yellowed grass. The world indeed will look much greener, but when you do find a desert it should be big (or a wasteland).

The world is mostly filled with biomes based on height, so lowest is the water biome (under lakes), then plains for the flatlands, this then flows into the forest biome (made so that its hard to distinguish as they flow over into each other). Going higher will see pine forests and then pine to snow transition and finally snow biome at mountain tops.

Clay is a lot harder to find in this mod. Clay patches are still there but most of the surface of them is spawned with regular grass instead making them blend in better. But Guppy is right, look for the concentration of boulders and you will likely find clay nearby, but in some biomes it may require more effort (like in burned forest, wastelands etc).

Archived