A16 - Archetype Previewer Unlock [.dll mod]

herrpohl

For A16.4

This mod makes TFP's archetype previewer tool accessible.

Instructions:

Create a copy of the game folder and replace the Assembly-CSharp.dll in the 7DaysToDie_Data/Managed folder with this one.

To edit the archetype of an entity go to the profile selection, choose an entity and press OK (Note: in order for any archetype to appear in this list they must have the type="Player" attribute in the archetypes.xml).

Go back to the main menu and select "Edditing Tools".

SMurd47.jpg

You can make changes to the archetypes.xml appear by pressing the reload button, without needing to restart the game. If you press save, the changes get saved to the archetypes.xml.

Tutorial video by Guppycur:

Also here's a list of all slots and overlays currently in the game files.

Old versions:

A16.3

A16.2

A15.2

A15.1

A15.

Nice work again :)

- - - Updated - - -

Nice, someone found another one of the tools I built. :p

Good work man! We're actually going to build something very similar for character customization once we round through the main menu system and clean it up.

If you get a chance to look into it, could you see if theres a way to clear memory of textures a bit more efficiently as having lots of different UMA's spawning over time seems to eat RAM for lunch atm.

For A15.

This mod makes TFP's archetype previewer tool accessible.

Instructions:

Create a copy of the game folder and replace the Assembly-CSharp.dll in the 7DaysToDie_Data/Managed folder with this one.

To edit the archetype of an entity go to the profile selection, choose an entity and press OK (Note: in order for any archetype to appear in this list they must have the type="Player" attribute in the archetypes.xml).

Go back to the main menu and select "Edditing Tools".

SMurd47.jpg

You can make changes to the archetypes.xml appear by pressing the reload button, without needing to restart the game. If you press save, the changes get saved to the archetypes.xml.

Also here's a list of all slots and overlays currently in the game files.

Sweet work man.

This will come in very handy for the mod that i am currently working on.

This is definitely another nice edition created and hidden by Kinyajuu :-P and found by herrpohl :-D

Nice work again :)

- - - Updated - - -

If you get a chance to look into it, could you see if theres a way to clear memory of textures a bit more efficiently as having lots of different UMA's spawning over time seems to eat RAM for lunch atm.

It's an ongoing battle, the zombies are supposed to be baked. If you change the type in archetypes to "Zombie" or "Bandit" or "Survivor" it will use the internally baked textures ("Player" tells it to rebuild it from scratch every time), or, if named differently (and type is NOT "Player") it will bake the textures to Data/UMATextures. If not baked, or all of them are set as type="Player", showing a lot of them on screen will quickly eat memory. Be sure to set the type back to one of the non player types before pushing a bunch of them into the game.

The UMA Texture resolution you have set in options affects the baked image size. The associated sizes are 4096, 2048, 1024, and finally 512 (think there are 4 options). If having lots of different zombies is killing your ram then as a client, simply turn that down. If making a mod, turn down the UMA Tex size to the desired image size, then start up the game with your new zombies in the archetypes.xml, you should then see 3 images in the /Data/UMATextures directory. So long as those are in there, the game will read from them.

You can see if baking down the images helps. You can lower your UMA Texture setting in options, close the game, add the size to the end of the UMA Archetype names in archetypes.xml (only the non player types), change the archetype name pointer in entityclasses.xml, then restart the game.

Should then have much smaller textures in memory instead of 4096x4096 * 3 for each type of uma zombie/npc/bandit

Hope this was helpful :)

great info

I would like to say Kinyajuu that on behalf of the modders here on 7dtd i would like to thank you for involving yourself in the modding section and assisting with issues and playing active part here. For the end result we all have in common a great finished game with the ability to mod etc. So thankyou and hope to see this kind of involvement continue we appreciate your being here and replying and assisting

great info

I would like to say Kinyajuu that on behalf of the modders here on 7dtd i would like to thank you for involving yourself in the modding section and assisting with issues and playing active part here. For the end result we all have in common a great finished game with the ability to mod etc. So thankyou and hope to see this kind of involvement continue we appreciate your being here and replying and assisting

Not a problem, I'm a huge fan of curiosity and discovery. :)

Thanks everyone and thank you Kinyajuu for creating this tool. Was scared first when I saw your name on this thread. :p

Hmmmm cant seem to do anything like change hair style or name character etc. How do you put clothes on him. How do you be able to see what clothes etc

I think you still have to change the slots and overlays in the archetypes.xml but you can press reload in the viewer to see it immediately. I would say just copy and paste an existing archetype and change its name to create a new one.

Thanks everyone and thank you Kinyajuu for creating this tool. Was scared first when I saw your name on this thread. :p

I think you still have to change the slots and overlays in the archetypes.xml but you can press reload in the viewer to see it immediately. I would say just copy and paste an existing archetype and change its name to create a new one.

You know i was thinking that lol but was like nah that was to easy lol. Thankyou for finding this and bringing this to us

It's an ongoing battle, the zombies are supposed to be baked. If you change the type in archetypes to "Zombie" or "Bandit" or "Survivor" it will use the internally baked textures ("Player" tells it to rebuild it from scratch every time), or, if named differently (and type is NOT "Player") it will bake the textures to Data/UMATextures. If not baked, or all of them are set as type="Player", showing a lot of them on screen will quickly eat memory. Be sure to set the type back to one of the non player types before pushing a bunch of them into the game.

The UMA Texture resolution you have set in options affects the baked image size. The associated sizes are 4096, 2048, 1024, and finally 512 (think there are 4 options). If having lots of different zombies is killing your ram then as a client, simply turn that down. If making a mod, turn down the UMA Tex size to the desired image size, then start up the game with your new zombies in the archetypes.xml, you should then see 3 images in the /Data/UMATextures directory. So long as those are in there, the game will read from them.

You can see if baking down the images helps. You can lower your UMA Texture setting in options, close the game, add the size to the end of the UMA Archetype names in archetypes.xml (only the non player types), change the archetype name pointer in entityclasses.xml, then restart the game.

Should then have much smaller textures in memory instead of 4096x4096 * 3 for each type of uma zombie/npc/bandit

Hope this was helpful :)

Hmm, I saw the folder previously and hadnt seen anything in it so assumed it was for a future addition, but now I see my archetypes in there.

I had set my UMA textures to half or quarter but still seemed to get the problem. Most of the png's seem to be 4096x4096, 4096x2048, or 2048x4096, and totals about 1gb for 108 files, should these get overwritten if I change the texture setting and reload the game or should they be deleted first?

https://github.com/7days2mod/BadCompany this is the current version of the mod I've been playing with and I regularly hit 80% ram usage after less than 1 game day with it. I've been working on adjusting the biome spawners to only have a limited set in each biome but it still hits the memory issue after a while, and if I open video settings and hit apply (without changing anything) it will go from 80% ram back down to 55% or so which is where the game normally sits without the UMA zombies. I'll clear the folder and try it with the texture set to minimum and see how it goes.

As other have said, thanks heaps for the info and for all that you have given us to play around with :)

Hmm, I saw the folder previously and hadnt seen anything in it so assumed it was for a future addition, but now I see my archetypes in there.

I had set my UMA textures to half or quarter but still seemed to get the problem. Most of the png's seem to be 4096x4096, 4096x2048, or 2048x4096, and totals about 1gb for 108 files, should these get overwritten if I change the texture setting and reload the game or should they be deleted first?

https://github.com/7days2mod/BadCompany this is the current version of the mod I've been playing with and I regularly hit 80% ram usage after less than 1 game day with it. I've been working on adjusting the biome spawners to only have a limited set in each biome but it still hits the memory issue after a while, and if I open video settings and hit apply (without changing anything) it will go from 80% ram back down to 55% or so which is where the game normally sits without the UMA zombies. I'll clear the folder and try it with the texture set to minimum and see how it goes.

As other have said, thanks heaps for the info and for all that you have given us to play around with :)

They should be deleted first. it doesn't overwrite as it spins up a new one under the condition of the file not existing. It's odd that you're having that apply settings fix for ram issue. We had a similar problem on the dev end due to it not properly cleaning up rendertextures. But zombies SHOULD be using the baked texture from that directory (for non TFP stuff). Let me know if testing proves otherwise. could simply put a big red mark over the diffuse texture and see if it shows on the zombies it should, if not there is something with my modded archetype baking support that I'll need to look into.

For what it's worth, those textures should bake for anyone, you don't HAVE to include them in the mod files, unless of course, you did some handy dandy art editing to the textures. :) It does cause a startup delay the first time if not already baked.

Are they supposed to be a uniform aspect ratio (F.E 4096x4096 for all 3 layers) or are we gonna get the mismatch depending on what we add? I get varying ratios Like 4096x2048 for one arch type I created and another 2048x4096 from another arch type and yet another 4096x4096.

Are they supposed to be a uniform aspect ratio (F.E 4096x4096 for all 3 layers) or are we gonna get the mismatch depending on what we add? I get varying ratios Like 4096x2048 for one arch type I created and another 2048x4096 from another arch type and yet another 4096x4096.

no, they are not uniform aspect ratios. Some UMA toons have more than others and to save ram, if space is unused it crops it out. That said, the lowest UMA setting in video options should change that to a different number. If not then it's not resizing them like it should. I never tried resizing them using an image editor but that might work as well.

no, they are not uniform aspect ratios. Some UMA toons have more than others and to save ram, if space is unused it crops it out. That said, the lowest UMA setting in video options should change that to a different number. If not then it's not resizing them like it should. I never tried resizing them using an image editor but that might work as well.

Using a 3rd party image editor works well. I used paint.net to manually downsize everything to (around)512x*** and ty for the reply.

Do modded UMA zombies consume memory if they are not actually spawned in, or does just having them in your file enough? For example if I made it so UMA zombies only showed up at a certain prefab would that actually reduce the memory cost of having so many zombies, up until the player enters said prefab? It appears that that these textures are being stored in the memory immediately when the game loads rather than when they're actually spawned (which kinda answers my own question but I'm curious if that is by design or if Im missing something).

Out of curiosity is there a reason that this is using so much ram? I mean, I have 2gb of vram on my GPU. Which isn't a ton these days but it should help. It seems like its storing all this information on system memory, though, hence why my ram usage skyrockets when I have a lot of new UMA zombies added. That might be a stupid question on my part though - I'm not very technical so Im sure there is a lot I just don't understand about such processes. Would having more vram help at all?

They should be deleted first. it doesn't overwrite as it spins up a new one under the condition of the file not existing. It's odd that you're having that apply settings fix for ram issue. We had a similar problem on the dev end due to it not properly cleaning up rendertextures. But zombies SHOULD be using the baked texture from that directory (for non TFP stuff). Let me know if testing proves otherwise. could simply put a big red mark over the diffuse texture and see if it shows on the zombies it should, if not there is something with my modded archetype baking support that I'll need to look into.

For what it's worth, those textures should bake for anyone, you don't HAVE to include them in the mod files, unless of course, you did some handy dandy art editing to the textures. :) It does cause a startup delay the first time if not already baked.

Cheers for the reply, that could explain why my settings changes were not doing anything :)

Also the idea of editing the images directly leads to a whole new set of options for modding, that is another awesome little bit of info :)

Cheers for the reply, that could explain why my settings changes were not doing anything :)

Also the idea of editing the images directly leads to a whole new set of options for modding, that is another awesome little bit of info :)

It may not be working right atm. I tried it by basically spraying blue all over a zombie's textures but in-game the zombie is still exactly the same. It makes me wonder if resizing these images actually makes any difference.

It may not be working right atm. I tried it by basically spraying blue all over a zombie's textures but in-game the zombie is still exactly the same. It makes me wonder if resizing these images actually makes any difference.

Did you have them set as zombie or player still?

I deleted my uma images and reloaded the game with settings on minimum and it seems to just create the images again at full size. With the number of archetypes I have it causes the main menu to go to about .5 fps until it creates all the images and maxed my ram out to about 90% (about 1-2 minutes)

I've tried resizing them with paint.net but not sure if it has made a difference yet, I've broken my spawns in my current version so will need to fix that before I can do a proper play test.

Did you have them set as zombie or player still?

Zombie. I only have them as player when I want to preview them in the profile selection.

I deleted my uma images and reloaded the game with settings on minimum and it seems to just create the images again at full size. With the number of archetypes I have it causes the main menu to go to about .5 fps until it creates all the images and maxed my ram out to about 90% (about 1-2 minutes)

I've tried resizing them with paint.net but not sure if it has made a difference yet, I've broken my spawns in my current version so will need to fix that before I can do a proper play test.

I had the same results. The image size is the same regardless of what the UMA setting is. Used up 10gb ram by time it was done loading them all in.

Archived